WT Amadeus and SOTA Sapphire

G E

WT Amadeus and SOTA Sapphire
« on: 23 Jan 2014, 03:57 pm »
Has anyone heard these side by side or direct experience with both?

Tonearm selection for the SOTA will obvious be a factor...

figcon

Re: WT Amadeus and SOTA Sapphire
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2014, 09:37 pm »
I replaced a SOTA Cosmos with an Amadeus GTA found the WTL to sound a lot faster and open with better pace and timing. That being said, it has no suspension, which the SOTA does...and an excellent one at that.....so this may matter to you. I know one another fellow who did the same thing with the same feelings as I have described. Good luck.

G E

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2014, 02:17 am »
Suspension is a non issue. Concrete floor and equipment stack is located in a walk in closet.

Is there a significant step up with the MK2 Amadeus or is it just different?

Charisma12

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2014, 03:11 am »
In my humble opinion, heavy tables store energy. That’s why they tend to sound thick, dark and dull.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2014, 02:53 am »
Have to disagree there- I can easily think of more tables than my fingers that are big yet do not exhibit that sound quality you attribute. 
Does the WTL play music in a more convincing way than a Sota? Yes. In the old days we called em Blota.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2014, 12:50 pm »
The one table that I let get away and I'm still kicking myself was a SOTA with an early Well Tempered arm.
It was a thing of beauty but no pennies at the time and when I could swing it somebody else had grabbed it.
I ended up with a square motor for $1100 which is probably just as well but it doesn't have the looks of the SOTA.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2014, 08:11 pm »
Agreed , they always did look nice... And I hear the couple that are doing Sota now are very nice.