EMT TSD-15 and Dynavector XX2-II Comparison

Erocka2000

EMT TSD-15 and Dynavector XX2-II Comparison
« on: 26 Mar 2013, 05:15 pm »
Hey Folks,

I currently have the EMT cartridge on my WTA.  I love the cartridge, but it's proving to be a pain to match to a phono stage.  Not many phono stages have a setting for a  1mV output cartridge.  My current P75 mk.3 does, but when you set it the the 1mV setting, it sounds rather lifeless.  When set in PE mode, the sound is much more robust and lively.  But the problem with the PE mode is that the gain is then too high.  It's not terrible, but I feel it's a bit too much. 

That said, I've been starting to become curious about the Dynavector XX2-II.  I had a 20x2L on my Rega, but I don't really remember that sound that it had.  So if anyone here has heard the two cartridges (EMT and XX2) can you please tell me of the similarities and differences?  And would a switch be worthwhile? 

Thanks.

threadkiller

Re: EMT TSD-15 and Dynavector XX2-II Comparison
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:48 am »
There's a great synergy between the P75 and XX2, better than what you're hearing now.
But if you want to keep the EMT, best to switch phono stages. I love the EMT as well, btw. Only not as you're hearing it.  :cry:

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:51 pm »
I would be open to hearing about some other stages.  I just can't seem to find any with the right amount of gain.  I know people say the Leben stage with the A23 SUT is great, but somehow I feel the gain would be too high on that as well.  The A23 SUT is made for the Denon 103 and that is a low output MC.  So I'm not sure why the EMT is referenced as a good match. 

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:10 pm »
It's referenced because it works.  The 103/EMT version is for higher impedence cartridges, not just low output.
The EMT will sing with that version of the SUT. 

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:49 pm »
I would be open to hearing about some other stages.  I just can't seem to find any with the right amount of gain.  I know people say the Leben stage with the A23 SUT is great, but somehow I feel the gain would be too high on that as well.  The A23 SUT is made for the Denon 103 and that is a low output MC.  So I'm not sure why the EMT is referenced as a good match.

that's only a 49db combo, it would be great.

Erocka2000

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:51 pm »
that's only a 49db combo, it would be great.

You're saying the Leben phono stage along with the A23 SUT only produces a 49dB gain?  Hmm, that is something to think about. 

vortrex

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:55 pm »
You're saying the Leben phono stage along with the A23 SUT only produces a 49dB gain?  Hmm, that is something to think about.

yes, that's correct.  the A23 SUT is 26db.

and I've said it before, once you hear a SUT your mind will be blown.

Erocka2000

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:58 pm »
I will definitely have to check that out.  What about the Acoustic Plan Phonomaster?  Has anyone heard that yet?  And does it have a setting for 50dB of gain?

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:27 pm »
Haven't personally heard, yet I hear great things about it...

Kt77

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:38 pm »

As you might recall?, I'm quite fond of the Heed Audio Quasar - as it offers a great deal of flexibility with said gain setting - as well as a sound that puts a lot of phono-stages to shame.

In my case the only other one I'd want if money wasn't an issue would be the Acoustic Plan PhonoMaster ( $3.500 ) that I heard at Don Better Audio several years ago.

But then again - I can only base this upon the phono-stages I've heard in the last 4 - 6 years, I couldn't recommend one higher.

Regards,
O_o scar

Erocka2000

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:51 pm »
As you might recall?, I'm quite fond of the Heed Audio Quasar - as it offers a great deal of flexibility with said gain setting - as well as a sound that puts a lot of phono-stages to shame.

In my case the only other one I'd want if money wasn't an issue would be the Acoustic Plan PhonoMaster ( $3.500 ) that I heard at Don Better Audio several years ago.

But then again - I can only base this upon the phono-stages I've heard in the last 4 - 6 years, I couldn't recommend one higher.

Regards,
O_o scar

Hey Oscar,

Do you know if it has a proper gain setting for the EMT?

Kt77

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:08 pm »

Hi Erocka,

As I've yet to install mine - as I'm digging several flavors of MMs at this time - I rely on what I found here as a guide:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/emt/1.html

And

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/63086-tsd-15-optimum-loading.html

I'm trying to get in touch with Dale at Eugene HiFi, in regards to said settings - as I know he own both phono-stages that I've mentioned - and knows about said matters more then most. As he also is responsible for bringing in the VdH line in our country these days.

You just might try contacting him directly - as I'm sure he has some tales to share regarding all three brands
( Dynavector - EMT and said VdH ).

All I ask, is that you be open-minded enough to listen to his words/recommendations - as I admire him for his honesty above all else - which is quite rare in itself now days.

But know this - it's not the cartridge in so much as said phono-stage. That's my " Truth ".

O_oh

Kt77

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2013, 08:21 pm »
Hi Erocka,

I'm sorry about the delay - but I've just spoken with Dale, from what he mentioned the P75 MK III is designed to work better with their own cartridges as they're rated at 0.3mV - whereas the EMT loading is at 1.0mV, so it's merely overloading said EMT.

In which case the Heed Quasar would in fact work extremely well with said TSD - 15, but he also mentioned that in using the Quasar with the XXmk2 on the other hand requires a slightly higher volume setting - as I've hear it with a 20XL and loved the results, I just can't see you going wrong with one.

But take into account that I'm more of a MM type of guy - but do hang with guys whom use MCs upwards of $6.000, so you might also want to look into either the Lyra Delos - an Ortofon Cadenza Blue or one of the cheaper VdH's as worthwhile options as well.

But as it stands right now - it depends upon which cartridge you actually prefer?, and these other cats are using Quasars as well.

I'm not trying to push this product - as I don't receive a penny for doing so, but I love what I hear and so have others whom have heard it in my system and went on to purchase their own.

Just the facts/truth as I hear/see it.

Be well.
O_oh

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:23 am »
Hi E,
The Heed may be nice, haven't had the pleasure of it yet.
And yet, the other 3 cartridges mentioned above are less good at making the music than your EMT.
And so it goes...:(