Versalex

HooStat

Versalex
« on: 5 Mar 2012, 07:43 am »
Has anybody actually used one yet?  Any thoughts on differences and similarities to the Amadeus?

I noticed that the arm goes through the golf ball, just like the Simplex.  It appears that the development of the new arm was facilitated by or related to the work on the Simplex, which is interesting.  I actually like the Simplex and Versalex more than the Amadeus (based on looks only).  Would appreciate thoughts by anyone with experience with these.

HooStat

Re: Versalex
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:23 am »
You know, I would really like to get one of these, but I can't find anyone who has used one.  Anybody care to comment?  Beuller?

If it were less expensive I would just get it, but it ain't cheap! 

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:48 am »
No impressions that I have seen. In the current Stereophile, Fremer mentioned that he failed to make the debut of this table at CES. Maybe call Mike Pranka at Dynavector USA to get an idea of their current availability and who you might be able to contact for impressions.

HooStat

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 05:45 am »
I think St. Louis Stereo has them.  I have to check with Chuck on that.  He was very helpful when I emailed him a few weeks ago.

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2012, 03:58 pm »
A handful of dealers in the US have begun to receive their first Versalex. By design, it has the same basic ingredients as the other models, so I wouldn't expect vast differences. I haven't done any comparisons, yet.. but did spend a lot of time listening to the Versalex sample at CES in the Devore Fidelity room. It sounds and feels like a new WTL 'table- flowing, lively and unusually engaging.. just as it should be.

Mike

roscoeiii

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:19 pm »
Thanks for the update Mike.

For the tonearm alone, does it correspond with one of the more common geometries for an armboard? Linn, Rega, etc. Could it just drop in or would a custom armboard be needed for owners of other manufacturers' tables?

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2012, 04:08 pm »
Has anybody actually used one yet?  Any thoughts on differences and similarities to the Amadeus?

I noticed that the arm goes through the golf ball, just like the Simplex.  It appears that the development of the new arm was facilitated by or related to the work on the Simplex, which is interesting.  I actually like the Simplex and Versalex more than the Amadeus (based on looks only).  Would appreciate thoughts by anyone with experience with these.

From the picture I saw, looks like it has a nice arm lift/cueing mechanism as well. Would be nice to see these incorporated on the Simplex and Amadeus.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2012, 04:22 pm »
Not sure I see the appeal of a lifting a cueing mechanism.

Placing the needle on the record is really not problematic at all. I didn't even bother attaching the finger lift. Tip of index finger on the end of the arm works great.

I say stick with the KISS principle.

threadkiller

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:48 pm »
Hi Rosco....
You know that lift of yours is not sanctioned.  Lol
You're unsettling the ball if you should push too hard, or so I've been told.
Try lifting with the middle of your index finger midway under the tonearm.
Works like a charm. 
Although I never did learn to hold a pencil correctly, so who am I to talk.

Agreed, no more cueing lifts for me, if you please.  Not needed. One can cue more accurately by finger than lever lift. And I've seen that done by child and elderly hobbyists.

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:07 pm »
Ohhh, good point. Note to self, "Change cueing ways." :duh:

threadkiller

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:13 pm »
Haha... Well, it's just I have a friend who cues his with his thumb on the end, sort of like your method, and I can see the ball moving backwards a bit. Seems a bit of over zealous cueing going on...Maybe you're more subtle. Lol

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2012, 06:28 pm »
I have never been described as subtle...

SteevA

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2012, 04:58 am »
Just found you guys, which is timely as I have just finished dialing in my new Versalex.

Can't compare it to the Amadeus as I never quite got round to auditioning that due an opportunity to demo the Versalex being offered to me when I went it to organise the Amadeus demo.

Took a little time and experimentation to dial but very pleased with the results.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2012, 02:00 am »
Good to hear, Steve.  It does look nice.  And don't forget, when a tweak feeling hits you, you can always add an Auditorium mat and DPS.  Worthy additions to any new WTL. 
Have fun!

SteevA

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm »
Picking up a DPS to try in about 20 minutes.

A new mat is a definite possibility as the thing that comes with it has such static cling capabilities that I have had to use double sided tape to attach it to the platter.  Now some records bend when I am lifting them just because they are so statically attached to the mat.

Steve

SteevA

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:17 am »
DPS seems to be doing something.  Not sure whether it is adding something or just removing the effect of two switched mode power supplies.

In the mean time I have confirmed that the goo level adjuster is leaking past its gasket to produce a small pond of goo on top of the adjuster knob.  I think the rubbed gasket has shifted as the adjuster is also now jammed and will not do down as far as it should.  It is at about 1cm short of where it used to get to.

Luckily the goo level is in the right place within the band of movement I still have but it looks like some major surgery is going to be required.  I think things are going to get messy.

Steve

SteevA

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:00 am »
There is a new LTD arm at the dealer waiting for me cannibalise to get a replacement goo cup mechanism.

Steve

threadkiller

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:11 am »
Good to hear. 
Yes, at my house, especially the winter months, the Auditoroum mat is non staticky... if that is word. It certainly is a reality to deal with at times. But it's more than that--- better sounding.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2012, 01:18 am »
+1 on the Auditorium sounding better and removing static problems.

SteevA

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:35 am »
Auditorium mat - how much and from where?  Bearing in mind that I am in NZ.

Steve