Timepiece Mini 1st Production Run Status

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Timepiece Mini 1st Production Run Status
« on: 5 Sep 2007, 10:36 pm »
Friends,

I've been getting inquiries regarding the status of this first Mini production run so I thought I could cover more territory by posting here.

As usual...things never go as you plan.  We ran into a snag with our enclosure parts vendor.  Since we don't have the manpower here to do everything as fast as we'd prefer, we decided to outsource our wood parts to another CNC shop.  We figured that at the intro price we offered the Mini at, we'd get swamped with orders and have a hard time keeping up while still having to build other, previous and/or larger model orders. 

So...we sought out a vendor for the wood parts.  That way all we had to do was assemble and finish the enclosures.  Besides, we needed to reprogram our CNC to run the Mini as we discovered some time wasting "snags" in the original program used to build the prototype.  We figured that since the Mini needed to be reprogrammed anyway, why not have someone else do that programming and then start feeding parts to us as a time saving secondary benefit.

Well...the vendor started out just fine, but then we heard nothing after a while.  After tracking them down, we got the scoop.  I guess the family owns a construction company besides the CNC shop and they had some kind of crisis.  Apparently, something went wrong at one of the job sites and they ended up in court over it.  As a result they pulled their CNC programmer (one of the sons) out of the CNC shop in order to work at the job site to try to fix things.  Upshot:  Since he wasn't in the CNC shop - he wasn't programming Mini parts.  :duh:  Guess it must have been a real "crisis" as they never even had the time to call us and let us know. :roll:

Soon as we found out my son Jason started reprogramming the Mini on our machine.  Seeing that we were really behind now, he did a crash-course and worked 16 hours per day until he got it done.  It's something that we needed to do anyway, as you never want to have all of your eggs in one basket to begin with, but the timing sure sucked. 

We did get one benefit though... he also managed to "fix" our post-processor program that had always been a major pain.  That's the translating program that converts CAM/tool path coordinates into the version of "G-Code" that the CNC understands.  Our machine is made in Italy (by SCM) and to have a post processor written for it would have cost around $10K.  We never had that kind of dough so my son found a post-processor written for a different machine and "hacked" it so that it would "kinda" work on ours.  The problem has always been that it would take him 5 hours or more to de-bug the G-Code after it was generated, so doing a program change - even for one little thing - took forever.

But...while he was at it he went back and tweaked the post-processor such that now it generates virtually perfect G-Code.  Now we can make changes in virtually no time.  Smart kid - huh? :wink:

That's a real benefit to us but totally superfluous to you guys, as it doesn't tell you how soon your Minis will be done.  The good news is that we're making parts now and have a couple of enclosures already assembled.  If we hadn't been delayed, those enclosures would have been finished and in the process of being tested, tweaked & packed by now.  Still, I don't think we'll be too far behind schedule.  I'd say we lost about 2 weeks through all of this, so that's how I'd recommend that you adjust your expectations.

Please bear with us, we are going through some VERY significant growth issues right now.  In fact, it won't be long before we'll likely (you never know though - nothing in life is ever a guarantee) be making some very major announcements.  I can't tell you what they are yet, but I will say this:  If you've ever seriously considered getting an SP Tech product, now may be the time you want to place your order.  If you wait very much longer they may be out of your reach.  In fact, it's saddening to say on a certain level, but SP Tech may not be a "good fit" for the AudioCircle crowd much longer.  Please, take no offense, it's all a matter of economics and our need for growth and survival.  One benefit of this though is that should any of you SP Tech owners decide to sell your speakers, there's a good chance you'll get every penny out of them that you originally paid - maybe more! aa  That should help with the wait a little. :wink:

I'll try to keep you all updated.

Take care,
-Bob
« Last Edit: 4 May 2008, 08:09 pm by SP Pres »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Timepiece Mini 1st Production Run Status
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2007, 10:55 pm »
Bob,
Thanks for taking the time to update everyone.
In no hurry here (it's not like I don't have any speakers now :roll:) and I can continue looking at the prototype picture I have as the background on my computer.  :drool:
Hope everything goes well for you.

Lin :D

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2007, 10:58 pm »
Hey Bob, I'm glad to hear your son was able to get things ironed out!  I've been working with a local machine shop on having some metal and wood pieces CNC'd, and I've seen what a pain CNC programming can be.  Hopefully now that you have it running you can avoid headaches for awhile :)

groovybassist

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2007, 11:35 pm »
Bob:  Thanks for the update - much appreciated.

-Mike

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2007, 03:07 am »
Thanks for the update Bob....do your best... :thumb:

Chris

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2007, 11:26 pm »
Folks,

OK... now life really SUCKS!  Don't you just love a little insult added to your injuries?  As if I didn't have enough problems, now my $%#! TEF acoustic analyzer DIED!!! :cuss: :banghead:

Now I'm really in deep guano.  I don't have time to send it in for repair so I have to put together a new software + soundcard based analyzing system.  $$$ is an issue for sure, but the timing is terrible.  Not only do I have to build the thing, load software and debug it...what's worse is  have to learn a whole new system. 

My old TEF was limited and took some learning back in the day, but I knew it and compared to the new software stuff, it was relatively simple.  I'm getting old and having to figure out these new-fangled software packages and all their damn buttons, layered menus, etc., is for some young kid that loves video games.  Oh...I'll figure it out all right, but I don't have time to be learning anything new!!!  Bob is not really liking his life right now. :evil:

So...everybody re-adjust one more time.  I have a feeling this is gonna take a few days.  I could really use a good electro-acoustic technician right now.  Any volunteers?  :?

-Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2007, 11:28 pm »
Bob,

Are you sure your real name isn't Murphy?   :scratch:

Sorry to hear about the continued bad luck.

Hang in there.

George

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2007, 11:33 pm »
Now I'm really in deep guano.  I don't have time to send it in for repair so I have to put together a new software + soundcard based analyzing system.  $$$ is an issue for sure, but the timing is terrible.  Not only do I have to build the thing, load software and debug it...what's worse is  have to learn a whole new system. 

My old TEF was limited and took some learning back in the day, but I knew it and compared to the new software stuff, it was relatively simple.  I'm getting old and having to figure out these new-fangled software packages and all their damn buttons, layered menus, etc., is for some young kid that loves video games.  Oh...I'll figure it out all right, but I don't have time to be learning anything new!!!  Bob is not really liking his life right now. :evil:

Hey Bob, download a free demo copy of ARTA and try it out ... it seriously could not be easier.  I've tried lots of other programs and by far, ARTA is the most intuitive.  Even an old fart like you can figure it out ;)

You have my number, give me a call if you need a quick crash course on getting it up and running.

billc

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:07 am »
Bob,

Take a deep breath. Exhale slowly.  I sense mounting stress. 

As one of those with Mini's on order, all I can say is, please don't rush, at least on my account. 

It seems like you are solving other long-standing issues in the process, so the temporary delay is not without benefit.

Murphy seems to have moved into your shop this week; but don't worry, he moves around a lot.

Next week I am sure he will find his way back to my place.  :peek:

And, thank you for the update.

Bill

jneutron

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2007, 01:43 pm »
We did get one benefit though... he also managed to "fix" our post-processor program that had always been a major pain.  That's the translating program that converts CAM/tool path coordinates into the version of "G-Code" that the CNC understands.  Our machine is made in Italy (by SCM) and to have a post processor written for it would have cost around $10K.  We never had that kind of dough so my son found a post-processor written for a different machine and "hacked" it so that it would "kinda" work on ours.  The problem has always been that it would take him 5 hours or more to de-bug the G-Code after it was generated, so doing a program change - even for one little thing - took forever

But...while he was at it he went back and tweaked the post-processor such that now it generates virtually perfect G-Code.  Now we can make changes in virtually no time.  Smart kid - huh? :wink: 

Excellent.  Glad he was capable...

I feel for ya, dude..I was using "surfcam" and "intellipost"...what a royal pita.  :(

Now I use my own code.  At least, if it fails, I know who to blame..
Cheers, John

groovybassist

« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2007, 12:34 am »
Bob:  Any update on how things are going on the Minis?  I don't want to rush production, but I'm dying to get my Mini's!  Thanks.

-Mike

yo2tup

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:23 am »
updates?

bbchem

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2007, 11:24 am »
I really need to know as well?? :roll:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:26 pm »
Guys,

Sorry.  You don't really care/want to know and I'm not going to continue whining.  Suffice it to say we've had a few problems.  We're at the end of week 7 and I stated 6 to 8 weeks.  With the delays added in we should start shipping week 10.  It will only be a pair or 2 per week as we're now making enclosures from scratch ourselves.  The first units to go out will be cherry as the walnut we had in stock splintered on the CNC due to uh... depending on the professional you ask...either too low humidity in the wood or insufficient spindle speed.

Anyway, we have ordered more wood and are waiting for its arrival.  Had our new "supposed" VENDOR not screwed us... we'd already be shipping next week.  It was a "double penetration" offense too, as since they were supposed to be making the parts, we didn't order the hardwood to make them ourselves.  Hindsight is always 20/20, so looking back we should have ordered the wood ourselves just to have it in case they dropped the ball.  Well, we didn't and they did, so here we s*it. :banghead:

Just to alleviate anybody's fears...you'll get 'em, one way or the other.  SP Tech's not going away - quite the contrary.  You'll see what I mean in the next few weeks.  In all likelyhood you'd be able to sell your Minis at a profit if you were of a mind to.  The MSRP is going to $2,495.00 per pair.  In that you guys just saved yourselves about $1,100.00.  I know the added wait is a hassle but maybe that will ease the pain a little.  Oh... tell your buds that "sorry" but they missed the boat.  In the new ads going up we may do an intro price for the first 30 days of $1,995.00/pair, but $1,349.00 or $1,495.00/pair is now officially "history."

Hang tight - they're coming. aa

-Bob

kenk

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:32 pm »
Guys,

The first units to go out will be cherry as the walnut we had in stock splintered on the CNC due to uh... depending on the professional you ask...either too low humidity in the wood or insufficient spindle speed.

=-Bob

Hi Bob,

Will it be helpful if I change my order to cherry? :wink:

Ken

groovybassist

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:36 pm »
Thanks for the update and your reassurances Bob.  I'm glad my order was cherry and was placed as early as it was!  Can't wait to see/hear 'em. 

-Mike

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2007, 12:02 pm »
Bob, please do check your mail. Your response will be appreciated.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 5 Oct 2007, 10:40 pm »
Guys,

There have been a few of you that were wondering what the Timepiece Mini's crossover frequency would be.  Well... I stated "around" 1KHz - just to cover my butt.  I knew I could hit that with no problem.  I had higher hopes though, but this turkey doesn't like sicking his neck out unnecessarily.  It's funny how with age we tend to learn a little more discretion. :roll:

Anyway, now that I have it nailed down, I feel as though I can "officially" blow you all away.  Is 800Hz low enough? :o  For the rest of you, look around and see if you can find any other speaker this size with an X-O that low. :wink:  Or any other 2-way of any size for that matter - besides ours.  And no...the tweeter's not the least bit stressed.  It handles 600Hz in the Timepiece 3.0 and 700Hz in our bigger models just fine - or so I've been told.

So...the Mini is a true "Timepiece" in every sense of the word - just smaller and only good to 40Hz rather than 30Hz as available from its big brother.  Seeing that the woofer and waveguide are closer together in the Mini, you guys should experience one heck of a wide (tall) main vertical lobe.  In other words...stand up - sit down... it won't matter very much.  No more "collapsing" sound field when you leave the sweet spot and want to move about the room.  I always hated that from a speaker. :green:

Hang tight... they'll be coming soon. :thumb:

-Bob

groovybassist

« Reply #18 on: 5 Oct 2007, 11:01 pm »
Sounds great Bob - can't wait to get (and hear) them!  Thanks for the update.

-Mike

kenk

« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2007, 11:23 pm »
Guys,

For the rest of you, look around and see if you can find any other speaker this size with an X-O that low. :wink:  Or any other 2-way of any size for that matter - besides ours. 
-Bob

The only thing that is close is the Rubies from Mark and Daniel @ 900 hz. :wink:  Not sure how that compares to the Mini  aa