Trumpet Reference Review in Stereophile

BobM

Trumpet Reference Review in Stereophile
« on: 24 Jan 2014, 04:49 pm »
Well, it sounds like it didn't really float Fremer's boat. But then again, we know he prefers a hi-fi type of sound where things are a bit more lean and tight, than musical and fleshed out. If it sounds anything like the original Trumpet (which I own and love) then it should appeal to most vinyl enthusiasts who want that all enveloping vinyl experience that only tube phono stages seem to deliver.

I can say I truly appreciate the new shape and convenience features in the design. It kind of does resemble a Conrad Johnson preamp, which is nothing if not classy looking.

Brinkman

Re: Trumpet Reference Review in Stereophile
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2014, 01:29 pm »
Fremer sure liked it the first time around. I believe he gave it a Class A designation... These days I couldn't be bothered to read Stereophile, so I'm not going to bother finding a link.

david62

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2014, 03:45 pm »
   Reading the review,it seems that Fremer prefers the sound of solid state amps. over tube amps.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2014, 07:41 pm »
They always look for refinement. Aka half boring. There's no reason you can't have synonomous function of refinement, timbre, and physical scale of presence. Good AC power to reduce current limitations for noise avoidence within equipment is what I think is an excellent approach.

You don't hear "all of the above" often, but it's possible.