Martin Logan in Austin

audio_builder

Martin Logan in Austin
« on: 30 Jan 2009, 07:13 pm »
Does anyone in Austin have a pair of Martin Logan speakers or large electrostats that is interested in hearing a big tube amp?

Lee

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Martin Logan in Austin
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2009, 09:13 pm »
check with john at kci cables ( www.koolcables.com )

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2009, 11:18 pm »
Martin Logan Odyssey's set up  in a decent room   :wave:

audio_builder

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:19 am »
Saturday afternoon?

audio_builder

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:32 am »
Thank you John for being such a gracious host and allowing me to bring over my amplifier.

The new PP211 amp proved to have enough power to drive the Martin Logans nicely and it did not sound too bad either.  I had a good time listening to the ML and some new solid silver speaker wires from Koolcables.

The afternoon got interesting when John turned up the volume on Roger Waters Amused to Death to really loud.  The room started shaking and smoke started to come out of the Martin Logans.  The music was so good and John being the Kool person he is, instead of turning the music off and grabbing a fire extinguisher, he just turned the volume up louder!  Flames were shooting from the tops of the speakers!  The sound was incredible!!  You could see the musician’s faces in the flames!!!  We just sat there in one of those Memorex moments (guy sitting in chair in front of a speaker with the sound blowing him away) until the smoke detector went off and the power breaker tripped.  WOW!!

It was a good audio afternoon. :rock:

Lee

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2009, 03:44 am »
You sure the smoke was coming out of the speakers??? 

audio_builder

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2009, 09:25 pm »
Wow, a vividly colorful and imaginative audio experience and only one response.  I guess audio forums have gone the way of the economy.   :cry:

Well I guess I will head over to the balding old geezer forum and talk about my prostate.

Keeping the audio faith for over 20 years,
Lee

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2009, 10:12 pm »
Lee, don't get discouraged, postings about larger get togethers tend to get more responses and interaction because, well, there were many people involved instead of a couple and there tends to be multiple peices of gear swapped in and out and people want to know about how the different configurations sounded. 

I know John pretty well and he is a good dude (he also makes great cables) and I know his system is very nice.  I'm glad you two had a great listening session.  If you're ever up Ft. Worth way feel free to drop by to hear my humble setup...

Have a great weekend!

anthony a.

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2009, 10:20 pm »
go to www.martinloganowners.com and ask away.  when i had my ascent i's this was the place to be for info and responses.  im sure you'll find what you need there.

brj

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2009, 10:22 pm »
Quote from: arthurs
If you're ever up Ft. Worth way feel free to drop by to hear my humble setup...

:o

Art, if your setup is humble, then words fail me to describe what the rest of us have! :lol:

Seriously - if you're in Fort Worth and Art offers, listen to his system... it's absolutely worth whatever effort it takes, and Art is always a fantastic host!

Lee, it sounds like you had fun, which is the important part!  Another suggestion to generate more responses - offer specific comparisons against other gear (if you happened to listen to it in the same rig).  What amp did John take out to fit the PP211?

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:39 pm »
Lee,

Whoa, I'm sorry man believe it or not I just now saw your post! :oops: I had a great time and think you should heave that beast onto the nearest Forklift and bring it back down for another session! I have a new preamp, picked up a BAT 51SE and I'm loving it! So, get your butt back down soon!!

Best,
John
PS-This time you're not getting out the door with that amp!! :green: