Advice on amps for my new k-701's

Canyoneagle

Advice on amps for my new k-701's
« on: 1 Sep 2006, 09:34 pm »
Hello, everyone.  I've just purchased a set of AKG k-701's and have been doing some research on good bang for the buck amps.  One of my criteria is the ability for me to drive the amp directly off of a 12 or 24 V (DC) "off the grid" home power system.

At the moment, I'm inclined to go with the Headroom "desktop portable" with their built-in DAC.  This unit can run off of a 5DC input, and (from what I've seen) appears to be well regarded.

Any input?
Thanks,
Michael
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2006, 10:11 pm by Canyoneagle »

randytsuch

Re: Advice on amps for my new k-701's
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2006, 12:06 am »
Hi Mike
Welcome to AC

One suggestion is to look here
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

People at head-fi seem to cycle through gear regularly, so you can always find used stuff here.
If you don't like it, then you can sell it for close to your cost, and maybe even break even minus shipping.

Of course, I guess you get a 30 day trial with the headroom stuff, so if you don't like it, you can always return it.

I heard the 701's at the headroom show at a stereo show, and thought it sounded pretty good, but with that kind of environment, where they are supplying the cans, amp and source, it is hard to judge one component.  They were driving the cans with a headroom amp, but I don't remember which one.

The 701's have not been out for very long, so it may be harder to find opinions on what will sound good driving it.

Is DIY an option?  There are lots of DIY can amps out there.

Good luck with your search.

Randy

Canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2006, 01:00 am »
Thanks.   I've been checking out the used gear for a week or so, and will continue to follow it.

For context (all important, IMHO) I tend to prioritize the musical experience over the technical (analytical) aspects of listening.  I don't want to start the "flat earth versus round earth" debate here, but I want to make sure that anyone inclined to contribute understands my perspective (I was a round-earther, but damn......)

Thanks again!!!!!!
Michael

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2006, 03:51 am »
Thanks.   I've been checking out the used gear for a week or so, and will continue to follow it.

For context (all important, IMHO) I tend to prioritize the musical experience over the technical (analytical) aspects of listening.  I don't want to start the "flat earth versus round earth" debate here, but I want to make sure that anyone inclined to contribute understands my perspective (I was a round-earther, but damn......)

Thanks again!!!!!!
Michael

The problem with K701 is that it's deceptively difficult to drive 'properly.'  This is why people are saying stuff like it's too "distant", "analytical", "lacks bass", etc. 

If you want just decent sound, most any headphone amp will do.  If you want great sound, world-class even, you need a great amp.  If you own speakers of decent sensitivity, a used Almarro A205a Mk II single-ended pentode amp is a great bargain.  I've seen ones go for $450 range on Audiogon, and it drives K701 with fantastic musicality and resolution.  Ditto for AKG K1000, and ditto for sensitive speakers.  I prefer K701/Almarro to a couple of very expensive headphone amps, some even balanced amps, in $2-3000 range.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2006, 02:21 am »
Thanks.  I'll check out the Almarro.  As it happens, I'm looking into options for my home system - I am in the process of designing an "off the grid" home in Colorado, so I'm looking for gear that can be driven with 6V-24V DC from my power system (I'm trying to eliminate the need for an inverter).
So, with that im mind, I'm researching high efficiency speakers (>93dB/1W @1m).

Can the Almarro be driven by a LV DC power supply?
I'll do some research, but any experiential input is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael.

Helge Gundersen

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2006, 08:02 am »
Another overachiever, the Altmann BYOB integrated amp, with 10 (reportedly fantastic) watts, is designed to be driven by a 12 V car battery (of good quality), but can in principle be driven by anything of that voltage, as far as I understand. (The same thing goes for his DAC.) I wonder how the AKG 701's would sound with that amp. Link:
http://www.mother-of-tone.com/index.htm

Jon, how do you connect the 701's to the Almarro?

This is my first post to the Audio Circle. I'm looking for ways to upgrade my system. As for headphones, I was first intrigued by Headroom's evaluation of the AKH 701's (like, "these are clearly cans that deliver an impact, texture and immediacy that demands your attention"). But then I read thorough user reviews seemingly contradicting Headroom (like, lots of air and distance, little body and presence and so on). But differences in amplification looks interesting -- although Headroom must have used their own headphone amps.

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2006, 02:36 pm »
Another overachiever, the Altmann BYOB integrated amp, with 10 (reportedly fantastic) watts, is designed to be driven by a 12 V car battery (of good quality), but can in principle be driven by anything of that voltage, as far as I understand. (The same thing goes for his DAC.) I wonder how the AKG 701's would sound with that amp. Link:

This is my first post to the Audio Circle. I'm looking for ways to upgrade my system. As for headphones, I was first intrigued by Headroom's evaluation of the AKH 701's (like, "these are clearly cans that deliver an impact, texture and immediacy that demands your attention"). But then I read thorough user reviews seemingly contradicting Headroom (like, lots of air and distance, little body and presence and so on). But differences in amplification looks interesting -- although Headroom must have used their own headphone amps.

Welcome to the Audio Circle!  Almarro A205a MkII (not Mk I) has a 1/8 inch headphone jack on the back.  Right now, I'm using a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter, which sounds great, but I am ordering the Almarro with 4-pin XLR jack instead of 1/8 inch jack.  I'll reterminate the K701 with 4-pin XLR just like my K1000, and I expect the sound to improve even further when I separate the 4 channels. 

A lot of small headphone amps will sound weak and distant with K701, and even my super duper "Dynahi" headphone amp with huge separate PS wasn't a good match with K701, giving you that somewhat distant sound.

I heard the K701, reterminated with balanced XLR connectors, driven by Headroom's top-of-the-line balanced amp, and this setup does not sound too airy, distant, lacking body, etc.  Same with Almarro, which is NOT a "warm, soft, smooth" tubed headamps, like some SinglePower tube headamps are. 

So the trick with K701 seems to be either lots and lots of juice via balanced solid-state power, or tons of clean, linear tube power.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2006, 05:51 pm »

Thanks for the link.  I went to the BYOB site, and the amp looks GREAT.  I love the simple aesthetics, and I like Charles' approach to the audio realm (so I can only assume this would carry into his products).

To run the 'phones on an amp such as this, I assume I would just keep the volume pot turned down most of the way (to keep from blowing the phones)?

I like this approach, and need to learn about my options (outside of the standard 1/4" and 1/8" plug).
I've ordered a Go-vibe V5 with a 24v power supply as a portable amp until I buy my home amp.  I am really intrigued with these amp suggestions, because one amp can serve two purposes (headphones AND stereo system).

One amp that is catching my eye is the Red Wine Audio Signature 30 in conjunction with Omega speakers (or horne shoppe).......  I wonder if I could rig that up with the headphones?

Thanks again.  Keep 'em coming, and I'll share anything that I dig up....

Canyoneagle

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2006, 06:41 pm »

Welcome to the Audio Circle!  Almarro A205a MkII (not Mk I) has a 1/8 inch headphone jack on the back.  Right now, I'm using a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter, which sounds great, but I am ordering the Almarro with 4-pin XLR jack instead of 1/8 inch jack.  I'll reterminate the K701 with 4-pin XLR just like my K1000, and I expect the sound to improve even further when I separate the 4 channels. 

A lot of small headphone amps will sound weak and distant with K701, and even my super duper "Dynahi" headphone amp with huge separate PS wasn't a good match with K701, giving you that somewhat distant sound.

I heard the K701, reterminated with balanced XLR connectors, driven by Headroom's top-of-the-line balanced amp, and this setup does not sound too airy, distant, lacking body, etc.  Same with Almarro, which is NOT a "warm, soft, smooth" tubed headamps, like some SinglePower tube headamps are. 

So the trick with K701 seems to be either lots and lots of juice via balanced solid-state power, or tons of clean, linear tube power.
[/quote]

I have seen these terms like "balanced" and "linear", and must profess my ignorance.
I know nothing of electronics design, other than having a deep appreciation for the artisan approach (hand crafted with high quality components vs. mass produced with cheap components) - sort of like beer, furniture, bicycles and clothing (among many others).
I am a music lover first, so that is at the heart of my quest.  I long for "immersive" and "involving" listening sessions, where I am taken on a journey into the music itself.  So, how do the "balanced solid state" and "linear tube" options contribute / detract from that goal?  Any thoughts?

Also what does the XLR format provide other than a different method of terminating the wire?  I know what an XLR connector looks like, but isn't it just another termination method for the same kind of wire?  Is it more of a signal separation, or is there something more (different circuitry) that comes with the "balanced" format?

Thanks for helping me take the baby steps in my foray into artisan audio.  I am a new entrant into this realm from "the other side" (i.e. high power, clinical dissecton of the source material).
Thanks again!

Helge Gundersen

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2006, 07:13 pm »
Ah, the Almarro has a headphone jack. I thought there was some mysterious retermination and cable splitting going on, to make the headphone cable fit the speaker outputs... Canyoneagle, note: The Altmann BYOB does not have a headphone jack.

Jon L

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2006, 10:38 pm »

I have seen these terms like "balanced" and "linear", and must profess my ignorance.
I know nothing of electronics design, other than having a deep appreciation for the artisan approach (hand crafted with high quality components vs. mass produced with cheap components) - sort of like beer, furniture, bicycles and clothing (among many others).
I am a music lover first, so that is at the heart of my quest.  I long for "immersive" and "involving" listening sessions, where I am taken on a journey into the music itself.  So, how do the "balanced solid state" and "linear tube" options contribute / detract from that goal?  Any thoughts?

Also what does the XLR format provide other than a different method of terminating the wire?  I know what an XLR connector looks like, but isn't it just another termination method for the same kind of wire?  Is it more of a signal separation, or is there something more (different circuitry) that comes with the "balanced" format?

Thanks for helping me take the baby steps in my foray into artisan audio.  I am a new entrant into this realm from "the other side" (i.e. high power, clinical dissecton of the source material).
Thanks again!

A good read about "balanced" headphone amps can be found here:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183323&highlight=balanced+FAQ

MAC - SteveH

• Industry Participant
    • My Audio Cables
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2006, 01:15 pm »
I'm using a Decware CSP2 headphone/preamp. This is an unbelieveable tube amp.
It really gives justice to the K-701's!

Canyoneagle

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2006, 06:38 pm »
Jon L:
Thanks for the EXTREMELY helpful link!
Michael

Canyoneagle

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2006, 06:42 pm »
I'm using a Decware CSP2 headphone/preamp. This is an unbelieveable tube amp.
It really gives justice to the K-701's!

Looks like a great amp, but I'm trying to avoid AC powered devices, not just for the sound, but also due to my goal of powering my ENTIRE house on renewable DC power (no inverter).  I'll have NO problems with current, but voltage will be limited to 24V and less.

Thanks!
Michael

Helge Gundersen

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2006, 09:11 am »

Could you have reterminated the 701s for connection to the speaker outputs as well?

Jon L

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2006, 09:21 pm »

Could you have reterminated the 701s for connection to the speaker outputs as well?

Yes, of course.  You could just cut off the 1/4" headphone plug and separate out the 4 wires (L and R + and ground) and connect them to speaker terminals, bare wire or terminated with spade/banana.  The reason I want to use the Almarro internal headphone jack is when you plug in a headphone, the speaker outputs automatically mute, so this makes switching from headphones to speakers much easier, without having to swap speaker cables.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2006, 08:38 pm »
By re-terminating (or replacing) the 1/4" plug with speaker wire teminals, I would just plug the 'phones in as I would speakers, I assume.  I imagine i would have to be VERY careful with the volume knob, then!!!!
With this setup, are there any other reasons I should do this versus a dedicated headphone amp (less gear is better for me).
M