Headphone amp.

Charles Calkins

Headphone amp.
« on: 3 Nov 2005, 04:33 pm »
Hi Guys:

Anyone heard of or has used the APT Xenos 3HA headphone amp. I read good things about it on audioreview. For the price it looks like it might be a pretty good deal. This is my first plunge into headphones and I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that I'll use once in a great while. The phones I have are Grado's 325

Cheers
                              Charlie

bluewax

Headphone amp.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2005, 05:09 pm »
I recently ordered one and am awaiting delivery. I'd be happy to share my thoughts when available. I'm testing the amp on a set of Sony SA3000's with Moon Audio cabling. Cheers, bw

bluewax

Headphone amp.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2005, 07:35 am »
Hey Charles,

I'm a few days into the Xenos and the jury's still out. I recently swapped out of my RME card for an M-Audio Transit. For about 1/8 the cost of the RME, my cans plugged direcly into the unmodded Transit sound pretty good, although the resultant lack of volume control on Foobar was a bit frustrating. With the Xenos inserted into the chain, I feel like the sound is a bit veiled. A question of break-in? Perhaps. The tone controls are useful only in a very tight band, imo; I'd trade them for the EQ on an Ecler or Allen & Heath mixing board any day. If the amp does indeed need to burn-in, then my take is likely premature. I'll hopefully know more in the coming week. I've been brutally busy.

Cheers, bw

Charles Calkins

Headphone amp.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:54 pm »
bluewax:
  I haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about. What you are trying to tell me is all greek or something to me. I've had my amp for about a week now and it works fine for me. I've got it plugged into a DVD player and instead of turning the receiver on I can listen to a movie through the headphones if I want. When I first heard the headphones they were driven by a Grado amp. The Xenos is a better amp than the Grado. More power plus tone controls.

Cheers
                            Charlie