Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Bottlehead headphones?
« on: 19 Mar 2014, 01:42 am »
Any experience?
http://bottlehead.com/product/crackheadphone-kit-for-the-crack-headphone-amp/

Seems interesting. Considering that the company sells nice sounding DIY kits.

Guy 13

Re: Bottlehead headphones?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:42 am »
Hi all.
I am wondering what make and model of headphones they are using
and modifying to their specs?

Guy 13

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2014, 03:17 am »
Hi all.
I am wondering what make and model of headphones they are using
and modifying to their specs?

Guy 13

Monoprice 8323
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2#description
neo

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2014, 04:12 am »
Monoprice 8323
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2#description
neo
Hi neobop
Thanks for the link, I tried to open it, but could not,
I will try again this afternoon on my home computer.
At the price of 150 USD, I don't think it will sound better than my HD-650,
but I could be wrong.
Wont be the first time and certainly not the last time.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:31 am »
Hi (Again) neobop
I am back home on my main computer and I still can't access the website.
I've tried to copy and paste and just write down the name, still don't work.
Any other way to access the website and see those headphones?
Thanks.

Guy 13

tubesguy2

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:01 pm »
Use the google and search for "monoprice 8323"

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:22 pm »
Use the google and search for "monoprice 8323"
Hi tubesguy2
Thanks for the tips, it worked.
Now, lets see:
The Monoprice headphones sell for 32.47 USD
and Bottlehead sell them (Modified of course) for 149 USD (?)
Even if they have to modified them,
I think they make a good profit.
I am not complaining, they are in business to make money.
I am in business to make money
and many of the small items we sell,
we multiply our cost by 200% and in some case,
(For items valued at less then 20 USD),
by 300 %
As a businessman,
I am always curious to find out how they come up with a selling price.
For the past 35 years,
it's been my jobs to make/calculate the selling prices of the items I sell.
Thanks again. :thumb:

Guy 13

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2014, 04:07 pm »
Guy,
In the US the phones sell for $24.  Bottlehead makes a cable out of Mogami brand wire and modifies the padding.  They dampen the cups and change the impedance for frequency response modeling.  The overall impedance is 40 ohms, but just like a loudspeaker driver, resistance will change with frequency.

Dynamic drivers tend to have rising impedance with increasing frequency.  An impedance compensation network is a resistor and capacitor in parallel with the driver.  The resistor limits the impedance rise to less than the value of the resistor, and the capacitor defines the frequency at which the network kicks in.   Although tuned to a Bottlehead amp, these phones will probably sound good on any amp.

I wonder if they do anything electrically other than impedance compensation.  I doubt it.  Thinned ear pads reduce bass bloat.  They probably have the values of the resistor and capacitor on Head Fi already.  This is a guess of course, but it's hard to imagine anything else.
neo

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2014, 05:30 pm »
To me, the price should be based on whatever cans are out there in the same price range. 
If these are better then other $150 cans, then its a fair price.

And there is the time to modify the cans, and the time they spent coming up with the mods.

BTW, somewhere in the description is talks about resistive  compensation, so they might just have added a resistor to make the overall impedance match what the crack likes.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2014, 06:40 pm »
On a few words, they are making something similar to what Dan (Mad dogs) does to Fostex cans. Would be nice to see how good they measure vs a stock 8323.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2014, 11:57 am »
On a few words, they are making something similar to what Dan (Mad dogs) does to Fostex cans. Would be nice to see how good they measure vs a stock 8323.

Somehow I missed it on first read.  They build the resistance compensation into the cable.  The only thing they do to the phones is dampen the cups, change to pads to thinner pleather, and attach a piece of foam to the headband.  Oh almost forgot, they put a glossy black skin with their logo on the outside of the cup.

Isn't their headphone amp an OTL  designed to work into high impedance load > 200 ohms?  Maybe they have other models, but the resistors could be a couple in series to change the load to 200 ohms?   Looks like they hardly mod the phones at all.  I wonder if the cable makes them sound better with other amps.  The mods are BS for $150.  The cable is just some Mogami wire with with regular connectors and a jacket.
neo

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm »
Somehow I missed it on first read.  They build the resistance compensation into the cable.  The only thing they do to the phones is dampen the cups, change to pads to thinner pleather, and attach a piece of foam to the headband.  Oh almost forgot, they put a glossy black skin with their logo on the outside of the cup.

Isn't their headphone amp an OTL  designed to work into high impedance load > 200 ohms?  Maybe they have other models, but the resistors could be a couple in series to change the load to 200 ohms?   Looks like they hardly mod the phones at all.  I wonder if the cable makes them sound better with other amps.  The mods are BS for $150.  The cable is just some Mogami wire with with regular connectors and a jacket.
neo
Hi neobop.
I agree with what you wrote.
I don't want to be rude against Bottlehead or talk in their back,
but with an item that cost around 30 USD and sell for 150 USD
they must be laughing their head off right to the bank.
Yes, I know, that's not very nice, they are doing a nice job with their other products.
Proof, I bought their Crack headphone amplifier.
Now that think of it. I could put a 240 Ohms resistor in series
with my Sennheiser HD-570 (60 Ohms) headphones
and use them with my Crack.
Any one have objection to my idea?

Guy 13

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2014, 02:49 pm »
Guy,
Looks like I guessed right the second time.  It's nothing but a couple of series resistors.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/705467/the-new-crackheadphone-kit-formerly-bottleheadphone-150-headphone-built-specifically-for-the-crack

Your Senn has an impedance of 64 ohms.  The Crack output impedance is 120 ohms.  With this mod, the lower the value of resistor, the better.  The amp could start clipping.  Read Doc Bottlehead's posts.  You'll probably have to experiment a little, but I would try 80 to 100 ohms or a max of 136.  It definitely won't improve the phones themselves, but it might improve performance with the amp.  Building it into a cable dedicated to the amp is a good idea because it will degrade performance with other devices.

I think 1/2 watt resistors should do it, and quality matters.  You'd be putting the entire signal through these resistors. 
neo

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2014, 11:38 am »
Guy,
Looks like I guessed right the second time.  It's nothing but a couple of series resistors.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/705467/the-new-crackheadphone-kit-formerly-bottleheadphone-150-headphone-built-specifically-for-the-crack

Your Senn has an impedance of 64 ohms.  The Crack output impedance is 120 ohms.  With this mod, the lower the value of resistor, the better.  The amp could start clipping.  Read Doc Bottlehead's posts.  You'll probably have to experiment a little, but I would try 80 to 100 ohms or a max of 136.  It definitely won't improve the phones themselves, but it might improve performance with the amp.  Building it into a cable dedicated to the amp is a good idea because it will degrade performance with other devices.

I think 1/2 watt resistors should do it, and quality matters.  You'd be putting the entire signal through these resistors. 
neo
Hi neo.
Thanks for the advice.
I will look in my shoe box junk yard to see if I have anything around 100 Ohms,
if I remember, I have something, but it will be 2 to 10 watts,
that's not a problem, i am sure.
I will do a test, but one thing is sure, the Crack was purchase for the HD-650.
I will be using my HD-570 with my iPod and my Sony mini.
If Doc is using those inexpensive headphones to make them as is only headphones offering, they must be good.
Bottlehead only offers good stuff.

Guy 13

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2014, 04:31 pm »
Hi neo.
Thanks for the advice.
I will look in my shoe box junk yard to see if I have anything around 100 Ohms,
if I remember, I have something, but it will be 2 to 10 watts,
that's not a problem, i am sure.
I will do a test, but one thing is sure, the Crack was purchase for the HD-650.
I will be using my HD-570 with my iPod and my Sony mini.
If Doc is using those inexpensive headphones to make them as is only headphones offering, they must be good.
Bottlehead only offers good stuff. 

You have HD650?? 
Don't waste your time with the resistors, and whatever you do don't use them with the ipod or mini.  Why the 570, need 2 sets running at the same time off the Bottlehead?
That will drop the impedance load - like 2 - 8 ohm speaker sets are a 4 ohm load on the amp.

No problem using junk box resistors?  Old wirewound  speaker resistors are crap.  The entire signal goes through there!!  Don't blame me if it's unlistenable.

The Monoprice is so good Bottlehead gives them away with the purchase of an amp.  In stock form some bargain hunters seem to like them, others say it's a POS and advise other cheap phones.  If they sell some for $150/pop, it covers their cost for giving them away.  Can't say I've heard the Monoprice, I already have Panasonic HTF600.....
neo

Edit: Sorry if this sounds a little harsh.  You seem to misunderstand what I'm saying and I don't want to be responsible for wasting your time and effort.  If you get a couple of "decent" resistors (1/2 watt Dale/Vishay at the least) it might be worth a try for the 570 only on Bottlehead.  If you want to run them with the 650 at the same time, take the 570 up to around 400 ohms and they should be close to the same volume and be a good load for the amp.

« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2014, 11:34 pm by neobop »

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 23 Mar 2014, 12:30 am »
You have HD650?? 
Don't waste your time with the resistors, and whatever you do don't use them with the ipod or mini.  Why the 570, need 2 sets running at the same time off the Bottlehead?
That will drop the impedance load - like 2 - 8 ohm speaker sets are a 4 ohm load on the amp.

No problem using junk box resistors?  Old wirewound  speaker resistors are crap.  The entire signal goes through there!!  Don't blame me if it's unlistenable.

The Monoprice is so good Bottlehead gives them away with the purchase of an amp.  In stock form some bargain hunters seem to like them, others say it's a POS and advise other cheap phones.  If they sell some for $150/pop, it covers their cost for giving them away.  Can't say I've heard the Monoprice, I already have Panasonic HTF600.....
neo

Edit: Sorry if this sounds a little harsh.  You seem to misunderstand what I'm saying and I don't want to be responsible for wasting your time and effort.  If you get a couple of "decent" resistors (1/2 watt Dale/Vishay at the least) it might be worth a try for the 570 only on Bottlehead.  If you want to run them with the 650 at the same time, take the 570 up to around 400 ohms and they should be close to the same volume and be a good load for the amp.
I neo.
Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote, but it's more like (As usual) did not express myself correctly.
Sorry about that and you have not been harsh at all, I've seen a lot worst from other AC members.
I am sure that after listening the Bottlehead Crack headphone amplifier with my HD650 I won't want to listen to the HD-570, especially if I have to to some soldering with my old Weller 100/140 watts gun.
I also don't want to connect or switch from HD-570 to HD-650.
Let me try to say that again, that's one more try and I hope to do it right this time:
Bottlehead Crack with HD-650
HD-570 with my iPod and my mini Sony receiver.
However, I will try for a minute or two the HD-570 on the Crack,
just to see what it sounds like.
That's it.
Now, I have to wait and torture myself until April the 11th, well it will be more likely on April the 12 around 2AM.

Guy 13