Mania and Madness

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Mania and Madness
« on: 30 Aug 2012, 05:52 pm »
Headphone Mania. You can say that again! 

Here's one definition of mania: "An excessively intense enthusiasm, interest, or desire; a craze."

I've been suffering from headphone mania for quite a while. The main symptom, for me, is that it has driven me, not merely crazier than I was, it has just moved me around in a great circle. 

Many years ago, after building a decent speaker-based audio system, I decided to buy some decent headphones. I tried the top-end Sennheisers of the day (HD600), but to my ears, then, they seemed a little muffled. What did I know? I bought the Grado RS2, but wanted to make sure I had the "best" on offer, so I went for the RS1.

Then I tried for an even better sound by buying amps. The Grado was highly rated, but I disliked it for its hum and disgracefully poor build. I traded it for an early version of X-Cans and then a Creek. Problem was that I actually didn't listen much to headphones.

A couple of years ago I took a renewed interest in headphones because a pen-pal of mine was raving about the Sennheiser HD800 and the Grace m902 headphone amp, both of which he had trouble getting his hands on. As much out of devilish fun to irritate him as to get this gear, I bought both (had more disposable income then), and he dutifully exploded in (faux) envy and anger.

The sound was very good, but once again, I ended up not listening much to the HD800. For the hell of it, I bought the second version of the Audeze LCD2, blew me away - very mellow, lush, enjoyable - and it was close to the kind of sound signature I was getting on my speakers, which then were PMC MB2is. I didn't feel I was sacrificing much to use headphones when I needed them - mainly not to wake a sleeping wife.

Then I tried to up the ante by getting a Schiit Lyr amp. The sound was good, but I couldn't get over the fact that it had a hum. 

But having gotten used to the sound signature of the LCD2, the RS-1 and HD800 sounded terrible to my ears. I gave both away, plus the m902, to a young music producer I know. I thought he might have a greater use for the accuracy of the HD800 and m902, which I, then, found too cold and analytical. He did, and I was happy knowing they were in good hands and were being used instead of gathering dust.

But then a major turning point came when I bought Axiom M80 speakers for my main system. They were originally intended to anchor a second system, but it turned out that I preferred their linearity, accuracy, and high resolution to the MB2is' sound signature. No reflection on PMC, but a major overhaul in a personal preference. However, that change meant that I would use the M80 sound as the measure against which I would judge my headphones.

The LCD2 still sounds terrific, even with my altered taste. But I started looking for headphone gear that would give me a sound signature closer to that of the M80.

I tried KRK KNS8400, designed for pro work, as well as Audio Technica AH M50, which was not as neutral, and then the AKG K550, which was reputed to be linear and relatively affordable.

Then I discovered the O2 amp that, I have noted elsewhere on this circle, gives me confidence that when I'm listening to headphones I'm hearing them, and not the amp, which sadly is how I felt using the Lyr. With the O2 in hand, I am moving, once again to find a higher resolution, more linear and accurate headphone.

Many who have read this will be saying, why not go for the HD800? Answer: too expensive for me at this moment. And I, naturally, wouldn't dream of asking my young friend to return the HD800. 

However, I learned that he doesn't use the Grado RS1 at all. So I retrieved it, and now, not surprisingly, I find the Grado sound signature far more satisfying than than I did before, especially played a lower volumes. It has a better high end than the LCD2, which has always, to my ear, been its weakness. But I find the RS1's soundstage not quite right, and the sound more forward than I would prefer.

So I tried AKG K702 at a music store, admittedly in a demo that is unfair to it - using just an iPod. I felt the sound might be a little too shrill at the high end, and, frankly, the price was more than I wanted to pay. I checked out the Q701, reputed by many users to have a softer high end and better low end. I hesitated, again on price, until I found a good deal. I jumped at it and am waiting for its delivery. 

So, what's happened is that I have taken a greater interest in headphones than ever before, obviously, but over time have come back fairly close to where I started!

But I did learn, or more accurately relearned, some things along the way. I don't doubt the majority of readers of this circle learned these long ago. I'm late in coming to them:

1. Headphones, like speakers, are all about personal preferences and tastes, although specs and measurements are important in pointing you to ones that might meet those preferences and tastes. 

2. Headphone amps make a difference, and for me, low noise and low distortion are critical. I believe I have discover that the key to finding the headphone that suits you best is first to find the best headphone amp you can find or afford, not the other way around.

3. A great attraction of headphones, particularly for audiophiles, is that unless you go for the most expensive stuff, unlike speakers, it is possible to buy a number of them.

4. Because the price barrier is not great, it is possible to buy headphones for particular uses - you don't need to have an "all-rounder" headphone. For example, I find the M50 perfect for listening to podcasts via my smartphone as a take a daily walk.

More interestingly, and downright peculiar, is the performance of my K550 to my ears. Played via my O2 with my main system (Bryston BDA and BDP-1) I find it a bit insipid. However, played through my O2 with my iPad, listening to Internet radio stations, the sound is incredibly good - very balanced, very linear, and perhaps the most enjoyable headphone experience I've had, which is saying a lot given how good the LCD2 is. My young friend, with very young and highly trained ears, listened to this combination and it blew him away! To be honest, I have no idea why the K550 sounds so good with these lesser sources. My hope is that the Q701 will sound as good on my main system.

5. Finally, personal preferences can and do change, even for old guys like me, and the sound signature of the best system you have becomes the benchmark for everything else.

All of which raises a question for me. I am hoping to buy the Bryston upcoming Model T speaker, which is modeled to a degree on the M80. It will be physically larger. It will have three bass drivers instead of two, and all will be larger tha those on the M80. It has been described to me as an M80 on steroids, which why I am lusting for it.

The question is, then, will the Model T cause me to change my preferences and tastes again, and, therefore, compel me to search, yet again, for other new headphones?

For those who loved the movie, "Bridge on the River Kwai," this story should conjure up its irony as well as its finale and final words: "Madness, madness!"

Dave

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Mania and Madness
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2012, 07:26 pm »
Hey Dave,
Great read! I too have shared this illness for now nearly 40 years.  After years as an audiophile and owning
headphones as a seldom used accessory, I was bitten by the headphone bug hard a year ago.  I've bought and sold
both cans and amps, but am slowly targeting the sound I enjoy. (my tastes have changed over the years...but now
at age 66, I think (hope) they are done changing) BTW...I went in the opposite direction of you...detailed and neutral
to warm and lush.

I just got a Lyr with about a dozen pair of tubes to roll at the great price of 250 for everything.  Right now, I'm
listening to the Lyr with some Denon D5000's and some 70's vintage russian tubes.  Great sound and no noise
at all.  At the end of the day, the journey is just as much fun as the destination.
Hibuck....

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:44 pm »
Hibuck, I agree that the journey is as much fun as the destination.

I took a look at your gallery and found a picture of a very beautiful vintage Pioneer receiver. I can't make out which model.

As a footnote to my OP, I could add that based on something I read online, I bought a Pioneer SX980 (probably over 30 years old) to use as a headphone amp. It turned out to be a great one. I count it as the second best I've owned after the O2. And it was such a wonderful piece that I ended up using it to drive my second system. However, it failed rwice on me (capacitors I think), and not being a DIYer, I simply couldn't continue to use it. It now is gathering dust in a store room. Pity.

These old receivers were great amps in all ways, and especially for headphones, as Steven Guttenberg has said:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20082026-47/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

Dave

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2012, 11:29 pm »
It's my 1250 with a custom oak case.
I bought it from fellow head-fi member Skylab who has quite a collection..
including two 1980's.
Hibuck....