My Capacitor comparisons: Mundorfs, VCap, Sonicap Platinum, Auricap, etc

guest1632

I am probably going to get my hands on a Transcendentsound preamp which is extremely neutral with 12AU7 tubes. So how much are these mundorfs you are talking about 1Uf with 400V or so. Probably the oil ones.

Thanks.

Ray Bronk

The silver/oils at 1 uF are $54.57/each unfortunately.  However, Parts Connexion is having a sale right now with 15% off everything, so if you're going to buy expensive caps of any kind, now would be the time!
http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsFilm.html

Thanks for the info.

Ray Bronk

Les Lammers

Due to the generosity of AC member GBB, I now have some Russin K72 teflon caps and FT-3 teflon caps burning in.  Will report after extremely long break-in, I'm sure. 

Now if only I could get a hold of a pair of K40 oil caps  :wink:

BTW.  These Russian caps are WAY bigger and heavier in person than in eBay pics  :?

Jon,

I have some K40's shho me a PM.

Les

piedpiper

Thanks for the input, Jon L and djbnh.

I suspect that even with better cables and special burn in that the 650s will never stray far enough from their ultra plush sound to be able to trust as a recording reference. Conversely the Etymotics are just too bright and lean to trust either. They certainly deliver the detail, but not the neutrality. Either have worked well in a live to 2 track stereo micing situation where tonal balance is more of a given. With multitracking, where artistic license is more of an issue, I need to have a more reliable reference point for tonality.

I've been on the lookout for a more ideal alternative IEM but haven't had the chance to check out the Ultimate Ears.  I've had the the 580s and 600s, "upgrading" as they've come out, but I haven't I compared the newer AKGs to the Senns or Grados. The Stax are great and I may resort to getting them at some point.

djbnh

..but I haven't I compared the newer AKGs to the Senns or Grados. The Stax are great and I may resort to getting them at some point.
I have the following phones: Senn HD650, Grado 325i, and AKG701; I note that each has its own strengths. Never owned or listed to Stax.

Anyway, best of luck with finding what suits your taste in phones and caps. I look forward to reading more in this thread.

rpf

A very informative and enjoyable read. Thank you Jon for all the time and effort this project entailed.

Rob

rpf

Has anyone tried the AudioCap PSU (polypropylene, copper foil, with gold/copper leads) caps?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Hello rpf,
 I think you mean the PCU? I have used these in the past and they are a very good capacitor but resides in the league of expensive price points. I have not done any comparisons with the capacitors I now use on a regular basis but can tell you that it has the claim characteristics it advertises;  It is extremely warm and rich, yet clean and detailed. I have also used a lot of the Theta in the past which I liked very much, the PCU is much warmer in comparison.

rpf

Thanks Bill. Yes, I meant the PCU. I'm thinking of trying some AudioCaps (or perhaps something similar) as I seem to have a surfeit of teflon in my system (all my electronics have teflon caps). I've been struggling with a touch of that overly smooth, "polished" and "slippery" high end Jon referred to.

Rob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
I've been struggling with a touch of that overly smooth, "polished" and "slippery" high end Jon referred to.

Hi Rob,
 If you are looking for a clean, accurate presentation with a capacitor that simply gets out of the way and introduces no character of it's own, I would look no further than the original SoniCap Gen I.

rpf

I've been struggling with a touch of that overly smooth, "polished" and "slippery" high end Jon referred to.

Hi Rob,
 If you are looking for a clean, accurate presentation with a capacitor that simply gets out of the way and introduces no character of it's own, I would look no further than the original SoniCap Gen I.

Thanks again Bill.

My Dodd Mono 50s come stock with SoniCaps (don't remember now whether Gen I or II) but I went for Gary's upgrade package which includes the SoniCap Platinums. Great sounding amps but, again, added to the Modwright Teflon caps in both the 36.5 and the 9100, I suspect I have too much teflon in my system.

For background (and sorry to go somewhat off topic), the reason the AudioCaps intrigue me is that they are in my Aural Acoustics (Thetas, not as earlier stated, mostly PCUs) and the sound of these speakers are mostly as the caps are described: very clean, very detailed, very rich, but slightly, rather than very, warm. Obviously the overall design and other parts play a major or predominant role in these qualities (the designers are big fans of Quad electrostatics and the old Dahlquist DQ10s and it shows in the sound) but nonetheless I can't help but wonder what the AudioCaps would sound like in one of my electronics. Particularly as I really love the Aurals and know the designers auditioned a lot of caps.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2008, 11:14 pm by rpf »

guest1632

Hi Rob,

Hi Bill,

Where do I go for the Sonicap Gen I? I presume that stands for Generation One? What is in your opinion the difference between the Sonicap Gen I versus the Platinum?

Ray Bronk

rpf

Hi Bill,

Where do I go for the Sonicap Gen I? I presume that stands for Generation One? What is in your opinion the difference between the Sonicap Gen I versus the Platinum?

Ray Bronk

http://www.soniccraft.com/
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 12:16 am by rpf »

markC

Or from Danny at GR Research.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Hi rpf,
 As Mark mentioned you can get them from Danny at GR Research.

The SonicCap Gen I (Generation 1) and Platinum are different animals. The Platinums are Teflon and obviously come at a high price. If you can swing it, the Platinums make exceptional bypass caps in loudspeakers (high pass and mid band), power supply bypass and coupling capacitors in tube gear. I imagine they would do well in solid state as well but I simply wouldn't know :roll:

Search SoniCap Platinum here and you should come up with a lot of info and applications.

rpf

Hi rpf,

The SonicCap Gen I (Generation 1) and Platinum are different animals. The Platinums are Teflon and obviously come at a high price. If you can swing it, the Platinums make exceptional bypass caps in loudspeakers (high pass and mid band), power supply bypass and coupling capacitors in tube gear. I imagine they would do well in solid state as well but I simply wouldn't know :roll:

Search SoniCap Platinum here and you should come up with a lot of info and applications.

I was quoting Ray and referring him to SonicCraft. As I posted earlier, I have the SonicCap Platinums in my Dodd Mono 50s.

guest1632

Hi rpf,

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info on the caps. In the Transcendentsound GGP Bruce uses Solen caps. So on the main board, I was thinking about getting the Gen I caps to replace the ones there. Just got to get the balues. I figure it would open up the GGP (Grounded Grid preamplp) a bit more. Now, whether it would be worth the roughly 70 dollars or so to do this project, time would only tell.

Ray Bronk

Joey B

Jon L.

Did you ever get those K40y's ? Just wondering how they stood up against the competition ?

Joey B.

guest1632

Jon L.

Did you ever get those K40y's ? Just wondering how they stood up against the competition ?

Joey B.

"K40y's" Not sure what you are asking me?

Ray

Jon L

Jon L.

Joey B.

Ray

Heh, he's asking me if I was able to get in some Russian K40y oil caps.  I had somebody who e-mailed me to possibly send me a pair of K40y's, but not so far.  Since I am comparing FT3 and K72 Russian teflons this week, it would be *real* nice to get in some K40y's about now.   :wink:  :wink:

guest1632

Jon L.

Joey B.

Ray

Heh, he's asking me if I was able to get in some Russian K40y oil caps.  I had somebody who e-mailed me to possibly send me a pair of K40y's, but not so far.  Since I am comparing FT3 and K72 Russian teflons this week, it would be *real* nice to get in some K40y's about now.   :wink:  :wink:

Hi John L,

Ok, now I understand. heheh. Have you looked at the various types of Sonicaps? Reading what Bill has to say, I'm looking at getting this GGP and rather than Solens I thought I would sub for better caps. I'll leave the power supply alone for now.

Ray Bronk