"Get CD Track Names" doesn't seem to work worth a !@#$ anymore....

texendo

I'm using iTunes v8.0.1 and ripping my CD collection to WAV.  I often have internet drop outs and often rip CDs with generic track name info until I highlight the effected tracks and click on "Get CD track names" under the Advanced pull-down.  Now (possibly since the latest iTunes update) this feature no longer works; every time I get an error message that says I didn't rip those tracks with iTunes so I should try and re-rip using iTunes.  WTF?  Anybody else having this problem?  Remember when Apple didn't tolerate !@# like this?  Those were the good ole days...

Bemopti123

Calm down and tell people here what sort of computer are you using and the OS.  I exclusively use Mac Panther and Tiger and have had just one problem from getting titles from CDs. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Side note(yet pretty relevant): Is it true that the track info is not anywhere on the CD itself, but must be obtained from a database?

ZLS

What type of artists are you trying to rip?  I say this because non mainstream artists CD's are sometimes initially burned, and the data does not show up.  There are specific artists on the site, CD Baby where this is true. 

Saying all that, it is a royal PIA, and I feel for you!

Crimson

I'm using iTunes v8.0.1 and ripping my CD collection to WAV.  I often have internet drop outs and often rip CDs with generic track name info until I highlight the effected tracks and click on "Get CD track names" under the Advanced pull-down.  Now (possibly since the latest iTunes update) this feature no longer works; every time I get an error message that says I didn't rip those tracks with iTunes so I should try and re-rip using iTunes.  WTF?  Anybody else having this problem?  Remember when Apple didn't tolerate !@# like this?  Those were the good ole days...

Here's how it works: iTunes (and other ripper applications) utilize the GraceNote CDDB (Compact Disc Datacase). When a disc is inserted, a unique ID is calculated based on the number of tracks, track duration, TOC, etc. This ID is then compared to the the IDs of all CDs in the online database and the matching CD info is downloaded and displayed in iTunes. Some facts:

1. CD and track info is NOT stored on the disc.
2. CD and track info will NOT be downloaded or available without an internet connection.
3. If a disc is ripped without an internet connection, the disc info will not be available after the fact. The only way to retrieve the data is to re-rip the disc while an internet connection is available, or by manually entering the data.
4. Partial disc, compilation, or playlist track info cannot be retrieved.
5. All available CD info in the CDDB is user-submitted, so not all discs will be in the database.

Also, as an aside, .WAV does not support metadata and tagging, whereas AIFF, ALAC, and FLAC do (as do AAC and MP3, but they are lo-rez options). What this means in your particular case is that if at any point in time your iTunes database gets corrupted (not the actual music files but the library database that iTunes uses to store track info, file locations, etc.), you will lose all associated CD and track info.

Crimson

Side note(yet pretty relevant): Is it true that the track info is not anywhere on the CD itself, but must be obtained from a database?

Per my post above, yes, that is correct.

texendo

MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo on Mac OSX 10.5.5

Only began to have this problem recently.
I used to be able to simply obtain the track names once the internet connection was secure; now iTunes claims I didn't use iTunes to originally rip the tracks.