Virtue TWO versus ONE.3

jusbe

• vivo media
Virtue TWO versus ONE.3
« on: 16 May 2014, 07:58 am »
I currently have a Virtue Audio TWO (first version) with the 130W/30V psu. I like this amp, as many of us do.

But I see there is a new one out now. Could anyone here say how they compare? Do they use the same Tripath chips?

Would I notice an improved Virtue/Tripath experience or perhaps just a different one?

bardamu

Re: Virtue TWO versus ONE.3
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2014, 10:42 am »
Hello,
I just have a sensation but you can be sure if Virtue company is producing a new baby it would be smarter than the older one.
Sincere greetings, Edward

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014, 01:21 am »
Hi,

The One.3 is virtually the same as the previous products and should provide similar performance.  Its my understanding that the new Virtue iMake is where the new changes will occur.  I'm sure that Seth could chime in though.  I'm quite happy with my Virtue One.3 and I am partnering them with an Red Wine Audio iMod and Nuforce S9 speakers.  The combination is fantastic.

Regards Rod

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 09:18 am »
Thanks.

SO Rocket, would the ONE.3 be comparable to the TWO (original) or the ONE (original)?  :scratch:

Reading that last sentence would seem to provide the answer if the nomenclature is logical but I can't find details about the build of the ONE.3 and I really like my TWO!

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014, 09:45 am »
Hi,

I think Seth is the person who should comment regarding what differences between the two models.  I did a bit some research on this subject and it looks there have been some minor revisions over the course of this amplifier.  Apparently the Virtue 2.2  used Auricap input-caps and there was an option to use Sonicaps as an alternative.  The One.3 uses Virtucaps which are made by the same company who make Auricaps.  I don't know which is better though.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Regards Rod

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2014, 09:00 pm »
Sorry I've been MIA.

So, the ONE.3 has a completely different layout and the sound quality is the same as the iMake ONE.3.  The iMake ONE.3 has a different but no better pre-amp section, and the same amplifier board.

Folks who have had them both (TWO.x and ONE.3) notice the higher gain on the ONE.3 immediately.  After all, it has a 2.5x active pre-amp inside so it gives a lot more umph with low-power sources.

It's also true that the layout is improved so we're getting slightly cleaner Tripath sound and lower EMI (FM radio interfrerence).

However, the difference from TWO.2 -> ONE.3 is slight if noticeable.  The TWO was an extremely nice unit with pure copper posts and audience caps.  I'd take a TWO.2 with batteries over a stock ONE.3 any day.  However, the original TWO did not allow batteries and for those customers, the ONE.3 would be a nice step up.

Seth

jusbe

• vivo media
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2014, 12:40 pm »
Thanks Seth.