Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Plus
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm »
Gary,

I received your email, my new computer was in flux.

Thanks,
 Bill

arthur

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:15 am »
Hi
have any of these dacs been sent to reviewers?

Gopher

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:23 am »
I don't think Bill even has his hands on one yet.  It does look quite compelling though and I'm trying to think of a reason not to bite on one for comparison to my bolder level 1 ee dac.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #23 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:24 am »
Hi Arthur,

As soon as they arrive in the states a few are immediately going out to be reviewed.

Regards,
 Bill

arthur

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2011, 04:07 am »
It's just scary buying blind with no comparisons to competitors.. especially with no returns accepted.

MttBsh

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2011, 04:51 am »
It's just scary buying blind with no comparisons to competitors.. especially with no returns accepted.

How scary can it be? The current stock EE DAC has garnered almost universal praise as a "home run" in it's price range,  competing with much more expensive DACs. With an improved power supply and upgraded analog outs I can't see how the new model could be anything but amazing. I'm ready to take the plunge if there's an early-adopter price break. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Bolder modded unit. EE makes superb audio gear, I can't get over how great my Minimax Preamp sounds.

The only other DAC I'm keeping my eye out for is the upgraded Burson due out in a few weeks. The current model (Preamp/headphone amp/DAC) got 6 Moons vote as the best DAC in it's price range, $1,200. The new Burson (DAC-160) is a DAC only and has also been given a better power supply and other enhancements. It uses a Burr Brown 1793 chip and will sell for slightly less than the new EE.

I think this summer we'll see an unprecedented level of performance at $1000. It's a great time to be shopping for a DAC!

pardales

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:23 am »

I think this summer we'll see an unprecedented level of performance at $1000. It's a great time to be shopping for a DAC!

Agreed. Too bad it seems like i'm always shopping for a DAC. :duh: :lol:

johnnydarko

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:58 am »
Agreed. Too bad it seems like i'm always shopping for a DAC. :duh: :lol:

Amen to that.   :|

rpf

« Reply #28 on: 6 Jul 2011, 05:15 pm »
A post on the other EE DAC thread stated the new Plus will use M2Tech asynch circuitry. Is this true and, if so, will it require drivers to be downloaded?

I'm not crazy about having to do that.   :nono:

Bill, I sent you an email.

Rob

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #29 on: 6 Jul 2011, 09:55 pm »
I wrote Alex yesterday asking about this, no drivers will be required but here is some of his thoughts on what has been done.

Hi Bill,

The DAC Plus still uses the 12AU7.

The M2Tech Asyn USB is an OEM board. I do not not know how different it is compared to EVO as M2Tech does not let us know the circuit of the EVO. However we implement the OEM board with our internal PS and it gives excellent sounding result. I have not created the same conditions to compare directly with the EVO as our PS and M2Tech's are different.

The power transformers are now separately one for digital and one for analog. The windings are improved and different. However the sizes are the same, but you can look it as double of the size. There are many things we ave done in the PSU for example the fine tune of the filtering, setting of regulation chips, rearrangement of layout...etc. all these sums to excellent performance of s/n figure, dynamic range, refinement of sound etc. We have spent months to design, re design and re re design the PCB to archieve the best result. It is so because of the high frequency 192KHz are radio frequency.

I hope the above helps.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Alex

TJHUB

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm »
Bill:

Can you find out if the USB input is Linux compatible or not? 

Thanks.

rpf

« Reply #31 on: 7 Jul 2011, 12:40 am »
Thanks Bill and Alex. That's excellent. And the DAC is sounding like it's going to be something to  :drool:  over.   :lol:

arthur

« Reply #32 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:33 am »
According to Alex "it works well with the Pure Music integer playback"
 :thumb:

roger15ohm

« Reply #33 on: 7 Jul 2011, 07:06 am »
Hi Guys,  I have been banging my head to choose either Paradisea, Nirvana, or Minimax which I'd firm to buy the Aune mini APE.  I prefer the Minimax especially the output tube then buffer gain but not with the V.control.  Have been thinking about it last night and fortunately found the PLUS.  It looks much better, simple and classy. 

What is the 2 - 12 pin socket for? 

I reckon they use the same board but with add on parts? 

http://www.digitalaudionews.net.au/2011/06/18/eastern-electric-announce-minimax-dac/

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2011, 10:43 am »
Bill:

Can you find out if the USB input is Linux compatible or not? 

Thanks.

Unfortunately the USB is not compatible with the Linux system.

Regards,
 Bill

TJHUB

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2011, 11:47 am »
Unfortunately the USB is not compatible with the Linux system.

Regards,
 Bill

That was my understanding.  Thanks for confirming.

TJHUB

« Reply #36 on: 2 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm »
Any further updates on this DAC?  I'm a bit surprised things are so quiet. 

How do I get one of the first 100 DACs?

Things still on track for September?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #37 on: 3 Aug 2011, 02:47 am »
Yes, they are still on track for early Sept. He believes late August they will be ready to ship. All is going well with the build and he is pushing to get them done. Alex just emailed me yesterday about the progress.
 You can contact  me thru PM or email
info@morningstaraudio.com

You would be #48 on the pre-order.

Thank you,
 Bill

morganc

« Reply #38 on: 3 Aug 2011, 05:28 am »
Hi Bill....I sent you an email about #49......

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #39 on: 10 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm »
Just an update:

Alex wrote and said the DAC Plus will be completed by Aug15th, so please add another week for shipping to the US and hopefully I will be shipping these out to pre-order customers on the 22nd-23rd of August.

If you haven't already paid , please give me a call at 847-255-1150 by the 15th if you all would be so kind so I'm not overwhelmed with all the orders in a day or 2.

Thank you all for your support,
 Bill