Out, damn diffraction!

jimdgoulding

Out, damn diffraction!
« on: 20 Aug 2013, 01:27 am »

I custom fit these puppies made of real wool felt to speakers whose baffles have right or near right angles be they standmount or floorstanding models.  An explanation as to why is explained at my website.  I offer them with a 30 day trial period. 

Robt E Greene, technical editor of The Absolute Sound, gave what I make an '08 Golden Ear Award.  His comment and those of others can be seen on the back page of my site:

www.diffractionbegone.com/

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/diffdem.gif . . you don't want those diffracted red and green circles (waveforms) mixing in.  They are redundant and out of time and phase with what the microphone(s) captured at the recording.

skifasterslc

Re: Out, damn diffraction!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2013, 03:30 am »
These pads have been on my quad 12L active for years now,  I would not be without them! 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2013, 03:52 pm »
Very affective product Buy them you will be glad you did.

charles

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2013, 05:10 pm »
bump  :)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2013, 01:12 am »
Got a nice review by contributing editor to TAS Steven Stone at his online magazine two days ago and am receiving some new business:

http://audiophilereview.com/affordable-speakers/diffraction-be-gone-rocks.html

:)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2014, 07:58 pm »
I'm telling you, trying to at least, that the imagery, tonality, and space captured by the microphone(s) in your recordings will be revealed incandescently clearer with the removal of diffraction effects, which what I will make for you does.  If you have box speakers- like I do- with right or near right angles and surface mounted tweeters, you have diffraction effects  I fit to your particular speaker, dye them charcoal or black, and they come with a 30 day buy back guarantee.  You are plum nut's if you don't give me a go.  Make that give YOURSELF a go.  I'm getting $55.95 plus shipping.  You're getting a lifetime of improvement to your listening experience.  What I said in my opening sentence will be tangibly evident to you or your money will be refunded.

Some floorstander examples:

My email address:  jimdgoulding@yahoo.com
Telephono numero: 832-480-8105

« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2014, 03:24 pm by jimdgoulding »

skifasterslc

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2014, 11:49 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2014, 04:54 am »
I listen via British actives too, old sport . .

Meridians.  The size of a stage they throw would surprise anyone.

murphy11

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2014, 04:51 pm »
Does your product offer significant improvements in a properly treated room with treatments at reflection points? It seems like acoustic panels would do much of what your product would do for all of the speaker drivers, not just the tweeter with the pads.

I've treated my room and am happy but I am a tweaker and am always considering additional improvements vs. cost.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:09 pm »
Does your product offer significant improvements in a properly treated room with treatments at reflection points? It seems like acoustic panels would do much of what your product would do for all of the speaker drivers, not just the tweeter with the pads.

I've treated my room and am happy but I am a tweaker and am always considering additional improvements vs. cost.
Murph, different issue.  I use room treatment, too.

Waveforms shorter than a persons speaker cabinets are wide- a 2000Hz waveform is 7" long, for example- travel along the speaker face until they are re-radiated or diffracted by the cabinets right or near right angles and mixing in with what your tweeters themselves are sending late and out of phase.  Why don't speaker manufacturers take this into account?  Some do.  Speakers with tapered baffles and ones with separate driver modules, for example.  The rest of you must accept this.  Magazine reviewers may address this when reviewing speakers with designs to reduce diffraction but when they are reviewing those that don't, you'll never see mention of the word.  You shouldn't want to open a can of worms for a manufacturer advertising with you or one who might like to in the future.  Magico rounds their baffles and recesses away their cabinet edges reducing diffraction so they will image more fully and dimensionally in the space between and around their enclosures.   

You can, too, any of you with conventional box speakers* that you currently enjoy.  Just send me a PM and see how much more you can enjoy them.

*If I don't believe what I can supply will work for your particular speakers, I will tell you so and why.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2014, 01:36 am by jimdgoulding »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2014, 03:27 am »
Jim,

Are these pads glued to the speakers? Are they easily removed? [I'm thinking/wondering about what impact these might have if I try to sell my speakers in the future.]

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2014, 10:03 pm »
I provide small Velcro strips to affix the surrounds to your speaker faces.  When they are removed, they leave no trace of adhesive.  No trace that they were ever there.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:54 pm »
Plain ole bump.  Somebody kindly explain to me their reticence in trying this- thank you- cause a listener has nothing to lose cause of my guarantee and there is purity to be gained.