New to site

Sonicsc

New to site
« on: 14 Jan 2021, 01:12 am »
Hello folks. Just happened across this site recently...……….I started my HiFi journey at 12 when my dad took me to stereo shop and purchase my first system....Rotel 15wpc receiver, Pioneer PL-12D turntable and Electrovoice 2 way speakers. Covid has rekindled my interest in music and equipment once again.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to site
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2021, 01:30 am »
Welcome

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2021, 01:34 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2021, 12:22 pm »
Welcome!

Seems like you've been out of it for a long time.  Much has changed.  CD's have come and gone, replaced with something called the internet.  Music is streamed now.  Subscription services like Tidal or Qobuz offer millions of CD quality albums and higher resolution formatted music can be downloaded.  Dedicated audio servers exist and freestanding DAC's (digital analog converters) are everywhere (even in receivers and loudspeakers).  Vinyl has made a bit of a rebound and tube gear is still around.  Much of the solid state amplification has gone to highly efficient class D.  More and more loudspeakers have become active (built in amps, one per driver) for better performance. 

Floyd Toole developed a testing method to accurately predict loudspeaker performance and has found that the inherent in-room bass peaks/dips can be largely addressed with use of 4 carefully positioned subwoofers.  Room size/shape and setup has gotten more attention as had various room treatments.  And now there are several electronic measurement/equalization products available to provide the final touch to loudspeaker/room response. 

Overall there's never been a better time to get into (or back into) audio as value is very high (especially with streaming services) and convenience reigns supreme.  But bricks and mortar retailing has taken a big hit, now-a-days most shopping (research) is done online. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2021, 03:18 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  Sonicsc   :thumb:

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2021, 04:59 pm »
Welcome to the AC!   
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2021, 06:23 pm by Jazzman53 »