Joined the world Of Ultrasonic cleaning ......

twitch54

Joined the world Of Ultrasonic cleaning ......
« on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:33 pm »
Just purchased a Degritter RCM, while not cheap its programability/flexibility makes cleaning Lp's a piece of cake !

Sonny

Re: Joined the world Of Ultrasonic cleaning ......
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:34 pm »
Nice Dave!  I still use my trust 16.5 RCM.  But haven't even turned it on in months!   :o

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:39 pm »
Tuan, I'm holding on to my trusty 16.5 if for no other reason than initial 'scrubbing' of used finds and a source of parts should my son need them for his 16.5

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2021, 07:50 pm »
I'm nearly 800 records cleaned on my Audio Desk...

Paul

mreeter

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2021, 12:10 am »
Just purchased a Degritter RCM, while not cheap its programability/flexibility makes cleaning Lp's a piece of cake !

Nice looking Cleaner! That looks like quite a bit of cleaning solution, does the unit do a good job of rinsing?

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2021, 03:07 pm »
it's actually the cavitation / bubbling of the ultrasonic cleaning and yes the appropriate drying time works perfectly !

mreeter

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2021, 04:57 pm »
it's actually the cavitation / bubbling of the ultrasonic cleaning and yes the appropriate drying time works perfectly !

:thumb: I've got a 'home brew' USC coupled with a 16.5 for a final rinse. But, I becoming quite lazy in my old age and your cleaner looks compelling 8)

twitch54

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2021, 05:20 pm »
:thumb: I've got a 'home brew' USC coupled with a 16.5 for a final rinse. But, I becoming quite lazy in my old age and you cleaner looks compelling 8)

looks good !

as for the lazy / old age thing I concur !  :green:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2021, 05:28 pm »
You know, I don't think I've seen a single case where someone put together an USC and didn't rave about the results.   They just work better than any other cleaning method. 

filorus

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2021, 10:19 am »
Anyone knows how this compare with cheaper cleaning systems like the Spin Clean Record Washer?

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:05 am »
First of all, obviously is the cost. Granted, the money we have invested in our vinyl "justifies" the cost of an ultrasonic cleaner.

The pads of the Spin Clean are gonna get dirty with the cleaning process, as is the fluid. So you need to schedule a cleaning session and get rid of the fluid whereas with ultrasonic, you can clean one record if you wish. Yes, the fluid in the US has suspended dirt in it as well but there is no brush issue.

I had a lot of fun doing Spin Clean on garage records with my daughter in the past. We were a team. I would do the spin thing, she would take the records and dry them with cloths and put them in a dish drainer. When fully dry, we reassembled the records and were good to go!

Now that she's out of the house I like the pushbutton convenience of the Audio Desk.

Also, you can buy laparotomy sponges on Amazon way cheaper than from Spin Clean. And you can wash them: no softener please and you have to cut off the blue tags or they will become hopelessly entangled in the wash!

Good luck!

Paul

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2021, 01:45 am »
Anyone knows how this compare with cheaper cleaning systems like the Spin Clean Record Washer?
One works amazingly well.  The other is better than a Discwasher.  The products are not in the same class. 

mreeter

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2021, 12:39 pm »

One works amazingly well.  The other is better than a Discwasher.  The products are not in the same class. 

I started out with a Spinclean years ago, but drying by hand or letting air dry was just leaving too much "crud" on the record.

I purchased a used VPI 16.5 for $300. there is no telling how many 100's or 1000's of records this thing has cleaned and it still works perfectly. I use it in conjunction with a modest USC.

IMHO, you need a cleaner that has vacuum capabilities in order to really get rid of the loose contaminants left behind from the cleaning process.

There are now many such products on the market today, save your money and buy a good vacuum type cleaner, or an USC as there is really NO comparison to "Bath Only" type cleaner.

Digitalnomad

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2021, 08:55 pm »
Any idea how the VPI 16.5 compares to the  SOTA RCM?