Does anyone use both counterweights their tables?

Plink

Does anyone use both counterweights their tables?
« on: 22 May 2013, 06:22 pm »
Thanks.

roscoeiii

Re: Does anyone use both counterweights their tables?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2013, 06:24 pm »
If you have particularly heavy cart, it might be necessary. Not sure whether or not there is a benefit to using two weights so that the weight can be closer to the pivot point, even if two weights aren't necessary.

If you have the table, you could certainly easily try and report back...

Plink

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2013, 06:34 pm »
I just put both on.  With other arms, getting the weights closest to the pivot is a benefit.  Not sure about the wta arm.  Seems to sound a little better with my Accuphase AC-3 but not sure.

SteevA

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2013, 07:17 pm »
In theory it is better to have the weight as close to the pivot as possible. For that reason I use two weights. I have never tested that it makes a difference though.

However, the unit I borrowed to demo only had one weight and didn't appear to suffer for it.

Steve

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2013, 07:57 pm »
Thanks.

I asked Mike P. about this once and he recommended 1 weight unless your cartridge was heavy and needed 2 weights for setting proper tracking force. I've stuck with one, but no reason not to experiment if you're curious.

bung99

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2013, 06:18 am »
How well does this weight clear the cup?  It looks like it would be a fair bit more weight so it would be closer in.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2013, 11:20 pm »
which is what you want and yes

watercourse

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2013, 03:30 am »
Yes, with both my Shelter 901 and DV 20xl carts.

bung99

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2013, 05:47 am »
Thanks  I just ordered one for the GT and one for the old Mission arm on the 125 MkII. :thumb:

DavidS

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2013, 12:49 am »
trying this for first time today - think sound is a little more solid.  Not very knowledgeable about turntables - would this be increasing the arm's mass?

Plink

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2013, 03:47 am »
Thanks for your feedback everyone. 

DavidS, I am getting the same impression as you...a little more solid sounding. 

I believe a heavier counterweight closer to the pivot actually reduces mass...probably not by much though.

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2013, 05:21 am »
Back to the OP,
One is generally all that is needed.  For this arm.  All this adding extra weight seems to not figure into this arm design, or the old original either.  This ain't no SME over machined type.

Kt77

« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2013, 12:11 pm »

Hi Guys,

As I'm unable to weigh either counterweight for either my GTA or older Classic MK V version. Could one of you please assist me in knowing just what each of these weight in total grams?. As I'm considering adding one of the eXact XTC counterweights on both/either and would like to know which of their options is needed?.

As my main 2-3 cartridges uses are either a 10x5 or 20x2 as well as a Soundsmith Carmen - I'm aware that for heavier cartridges like said a Zu Audio Denon 103, a heavier weight is better. But I'd seriously use some help on this issue - as I simply don't have a means of weighing either of the ones I've here.

Please advise.

Thanks.
O_o scar

Kt77

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2013, 12:15 pm »
Plink I use this http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTC-fits-WELL-TEMPERED-TONEARM-UPGRADE-COUNTERWEIGHT-NON-EU-EXPORT-PRICE-/400481150554?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3e89665a

Hi once again mgsboedmisodpc2,

As I tried to write you the other day on this counterweight option - and didn't hear from you - I thought I'd inquire about which version you purchased here?. As I've noticed the seller on eBay has 2-4 different weight options according to said weight range of any given cartridge one intends to use - but knowing which you're using?, would help me in having a basic ideal on what's needed.

Regards,
O_o scar

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2013, 01:07 am »
KT77 at the time I purchase I went for the largest offering which may be the standard++.  I use a weight on top of my 103r.  Which cart are you using and what is its weight.

There are three weights - Standard, shown in the photo, is the same mass as the original and is
balancing an Audio Technica ATOC9 at 9gm inc. screws.

Cartridge weights inc. screws:
Standard   6.5 - 10gm.
Standard+   8.5 - 12.5gm.
Standard++   10.5 - 15gm.

Kt77

« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2013, 03:43 am »

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I rotate through 4 cartridges either a Dynavector 10x5 (7.3 grams )  or 20x2 ( 9.2 grams ) along with either a Soundsmith Carmen ( 6.8 grams ) and Nagaoka MP-200 ( 6.5 grams ) with the heaviest one as listed being the 20x2. Which from the chart I'd assume the standard one should work on all of these after looking at it much closer.

I merely wanted to be certain to get the right size before placing the order - as I do see this as a worthwhile option.

Thanks again.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2013, 03:46 am »
KT77 sounds like you may need more than one weight value.  Also you mention one was being held for you but which one you did not say.  The idea behind the design is to further lower the tonearm weight below the pivot point.  I have no problem tracking the 1812 telarc with my 103r and I did notice an improvement in upper range tracking as well

Kt77

« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2013, 02:41 pm »
KT77 sounds like you may need more than one weight value.  Also you mention one was being held for you but which one you did not say.  The idea behind the design is to further lower the tonearm weight below the pivot point.  I have no problem tracking the 1812 telarc with my 103r and I did notice an improvement in upper range tracking as well

Hi mgsboedmisodpc2,

Once again - thanks for sharing your insight into this matter. The one that JC is holding for me is the standard version that is used with cartridges from 6.5 - 10gm. And I'll simply purchase the standand + version at a later date.

I just  like the concept behind his weights and once again had to look closer at the options - but after re-thinking the actual weight of each cartridge themselves it becomes clearer what's needed.

Thanks again,
O_oh

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2013, 05:05 am »
well once you order remember to describe the benefits if any