"anonymity"

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
"anonymity"
« on: 8 Aug 2012, 01:48 pm »
Not a huge deal and I'm probably ignorant and missing something obvious.. but, why do so few people use their real name on forums? Why make up a moniker/user name instead of just using your actual name? Those online predators that the Dateline NBC guy busts never use their real names, either...  :o

Mike

threadkiller

Re: "anonymity"
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2012, 04:08 pm »
My name is appropo---usually whenever I answer a thread the thread dies... :(
So I thought I was being quite appropriate. The only thing I predatorize is the candy aisle...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2012, 05:01 pm »
Not a huge deal and I'm probably ignorant and missing something obvious.. but, why do so few people use their real name on forums? Why make up a moniker/user name instead of just using your actual name? Those online predators that the Dateline NBC guy busts never use their real names, either...  :o

Mike

Because some people are nucking futz?   And I don't want them googling my name, and finding my email, phone number and address.

doak

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2012, 08:52 pm »
Believe it or not "Doak" IS my real name.    :rotflmao:

But Mike knew that already.   :)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2012, 08:57 pm »
I got tricky, there should be a space between Steve and Ford.
Oops...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:00 pm »
I got tricky, there should be a space between Steve and Ford.
Oops...

It would still take a lot of effort to find a specific Steve Ford, lol  :green:

SteevA

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:01 pm »
My name is a typo.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:17 pm »
Truly Roscoe the Third here.

sebrof

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2012, 07:02 pm »

Mike

Why WOULD you use your real name??

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2012, 07:44 pm »
I think I understand what mr P is after. Some forums that do use real names keep the sniping, rude behavior to a minimum, since people aren't hiding behind their avatars. That being said, I've seen reviewers such as Bob Neill or Michael Fremer get flamed on forums theyre on, and they use their real names.
I laughed, and stirred the pot earlier, when some were on here shilling for other brands or promoting grey market goods, when this forum is sponsored by Mr P, of Dynacector USA and WTL USA.  I think some of you forgot where you were posting. :duh:

Perhaps this might turn into a forum like Harbeth ( I hope not) where moderator Alan Shaw instantly kills any thread that threatens the Harbeth empire. You can't even sneeze wrong and you'll get the chop.

I suppose it's whatever the moderator chooses to do.  You either comply or leave.

vortrex

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2012, 08:15 pm »
Really bad idea to use your name, for reasons other than anything audio related.

threadkiller

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2012, 08:39 pm »
I agree. 
If things aren't to the moderators liking he has ultimate power! Lol
I best watch out, I'll be the first to get the chop.

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:27 pm »
No one has really given me a valid reason for not using their name. Because people are "crazy".. or it's just a "bad idea"? Honestly, I'm not meaning to be argumentative, I just don't see any downside to being up front, even on a forum. Where I live, there are loads of folks (on the street or in the neighborhood) to potentially fear.. well before any audiophile on a forum. I use my name on any forum because I think it adds authenticity to whatever I communicate. This I perceive to be a benefit.

Mike

vortrex

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:34 pm »
I think a lot of people spend a fair amount of time on here during work and having all your posts flagged with your real name and a time stamp is probably not a great idea.  Google is powerful.

doak

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:37 pm »
I think a lot of people spend a fair amount of time on here during work and having all your posts flagged with your real name and a time stamp is probably not a great idea.  Google is powerful.

Ha,,, think you're onto something there Vortex. :thumb: 

Doak

steve f

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:46 pm »
I am Steve F.

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2012, 05:57 pm »
I am Chas...
Although my responses usually do kill a thread..:(, so I wasn't perpetrating any fraudulent name..

mark funk

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:20 pm »

I don't know  :scratch:

:smoke:

Erocka2000

« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2012, 06:34 pm »
I am Eric, but my nickname back in the day was E-rocka.  I just added the 2000 to sound futuristic ;)