Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)

Erocka2000

Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)
« on: 12 Mar 2012, 06:22 pm »
Hey Folks,

Over the weekend during some listening, I've noticed that the center image on my system has drifted towards the right.  I tried repositioning my speakers to no avail.  I then used the printed Amadeus protractor just to make sure the alignment looked right.  What I found was that the headshell seemed to be angled too far inward, so that the cartridge seemed to pointing more towards the spindle.  I then had to go through the process of removing the cartridge in order to loosen the headshell so that I can align it to the protractor.  After doing that, it somewhat fixed the problem, but the center of the image is still to the right of center. 

Does any one have any insight into what this may be?  I'm also nervous now that I shouldn't have moved the headshell, even though the protractor showed it to be very off (I'm just not sure how accurate that protractor is being that the measurement of 7" it has underneath is not even close to being 7").  Are they any other things it could be, such as internal wiring?  It is driving me insane. 

roscoeiii

Re: Alignment Issue on Amadeus (?)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:05 pm »
So, why not just rotate the pulley by rotating it clockwise or counterclockwise to get the headshell parallel to the platter? Or am I missing something?

Erocka2000

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:15 pm »
Rotating the pulley would be for changing the azimuth, which I've also done.  My problem is with the angle of the headshell itself, i.e. cartridge alignment. 

jsawyer09

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm »
Hello Eroka...
You should be downloading the alignment gauge off the Internet, and have it sized to print, so that 7" does, indeed, measure 7". I did this and had it cut and laminated to ensure the headshell/my Dynavector cart ran parallel to the lines. I had to undo and tighten the set screw to achieve this, but ultimately, it was done.
Here is a good thread about it:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81648.0

To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with adjusting the single screw; it won't do anything adversely...

Once you get the proper measurements of the gauge for printing, then come back to report whether this fixed your right image issue. I cannot imagine using incorrect measurements on this gauge for something that was clearly marked as, for instance, seven inches, would be acceptable.

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:51 pm »
Hmm, then I am not clear on what you are referring to...

jsawyer09

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:59 pm »
If I'm understanding correctly, he's stating (without putting words in his mouth) that his headshell/cart isn't aligning with the 'grid' lines so that they're parallel.

I'm saying that the gauge in the owner's manual isn't to the correct size (just measure it); print it off the Internet so that it is to the correct size. Mine wasn't aligned correctly, either...even coming from the dealer or whomever. I took off my cart and unscrewed the single screw underneath the arm and adjusted a few degrees until it and the cart both aligned (parallel) correctly, then tightened it.

Now, with that said, I have no clue if it will fix Eroka's issue, but it may very-well do so.  :scratch:

Erocka2000

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:09 pm »
Hmm, I think the sizing of the protractor template may be the issue.  I'm trying to print it out at the correct size, but I can't get it exactly 2"x7".  Do you happen to have a copy of the file you used for the printout?

jsawyer09

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:13 pm »
Yeah...e-mail me at jason.sawyer09@gmail.com; or PM me.
I'll shoot you a pdf file, and hopefully it will work.

Erocka2000

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:47 pm »
So I tried the template that Jason so graciously sent me.  Unfortunately, it was the same alignment I had reached using the smaller printed version of the protractor I had.  The specific album that is driving me nuts is Muddy Water's Folk Singer.  On the first track, the vocals are right of center.  If I switch the left and right interconnects coming out of the turntable, the sound is then centered.  I'm not sure if this means it's room related or something else. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:12 pm »
You might want to contact your dealer and/or Dynavector USA (the importer)

Erocka2000

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2012, 03:52 pm »
I'm thinking it really may be a room issue.  My room is a rectangle, but the system is on the left side of the room.  The left speaker is about 4 ft. from a wall with 2 windows on it's side and the right speaker has an open kitchen area to it's right side.  I may have to keep trying different speaker positions and toe-in.  I just wish I had someone who can help.  Anybody live near Brooklyn? ;)

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2012, 04:01 pm »
Got a copy of Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound"? A go-to resource when having room-related set-up problems.

jsawyer09

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2012, 05:35 pm »
Hi again Eric.
roscoeiii has some good recommendations. What you've described here and in the last e-mail is somewhat perplexing. I have a room not too unlike yours (12 x 19.5), and I have to place the rack/speakers along the long wall, which opens-up at about 12' into a dining area; so there's quite a bit of space there...not very ideal at all. I have no centering issue like you're describing. If anything, there's a bass node I've been working on rectifying; but the imaging and centralization of vocals are very, very good.

Wish I could offer more help. The fact that the imaging balances when you switch interconnects around leads me to believe it's not room-related.

Erocka2000

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:10 pm »
Ugh.  Well, when the interconnects are in their normal right/left plugs, the image skewed to the right, but when I switch the interconnects, the image centers.  Couldn't that be the room, essentially always making the image always go to the right?  If it wasn't room related, when I switch the interconnects, shouldn't the image be skewed to the left?

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:25 pm »
When you say that you are switching the interconnects, does this mean 1) when you get the centered image, the L output is going to the R input and vice versa? Or 2) that you change the L to L interconnect to the R to R plugs? If 2, then I'd suspect an interconnect problem rather than the Amadeus.

Certainly sounds like a promising clue to me. Not that I have any idea what it might be suggesting...

Erocka2000

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:42 pm »
It is option one.  I get the centered image when I switch the left output of the Amadeus so it goes into the right input of my phono stage. 

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:14 pm »
I'm usually wrong, but here's what I'm thinking.
- does it only do it on this record/track?
- do you have any problems with any other album?
- does it do it with your other sources?
- have you measured the back corners of each speaker to the rear wall to make sure they're equal distance?
- do you have something like the Stereophile test cd #1 to check left- right and phasing? It saves so much time and dicking around.  ( like you're doing now) lol
- if you have balance control, is it off center?
- check your speaker cable connections to be sure they're correct.

First track? I'll get mine out for a listen..

Erocka2000

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:34 pm »
- does it only do it on this record/track?  It happens on other albums, but the Muddy Waters album is the most noticeable.
- do you have any problems with any other album?  see above answer
- does it do it with your other sources?  Using an HDCD it seems like the CD player is balanced correctly.
- have you measured the back corners of each speaker to the rear wall to make sure they're equal distance?  Each speaker is the same distance from the back wall, though there is a door (which I close when listening) to the right of the right speaker.
- do you have something like the Stereophile test cd #1 to check left- right and phasing? It saves so much time and dicking around.  ( like you're doing now) lol  unfortunately, I do not have a test cd or album
- if you have balance control, is it off center?  I have a balance control, which when I turn it towards the left speaker, seems to center the image.  But I'd rather not have to use it, as I don't have to when the CD player is used.
- check your speaker cable connections to be sure they're correct.  I double checked all of my speaker/RCA connections and they are all correct.

If I have time tonight, I'll try to take some pics of my room (which is basically my entire Brooklyn apartment) ;)

Erocka2000

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:49 am »
Okay, so I did some more troubleshooting tonight and I think I've narrowed it down to my amp.  I connected everything to my old Sansui receiver and everything was perfectly centered.  So it has to be something in my Rogue Audio Cronus.  I've tried swapping tubes, but that hasn't worked so far.  I'll try researching some more stuff before contacting my dealer.  Ugh, such is the life of an audiophile.

threadkiller

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:02 am »
I feel your pain... at least you're making some headway..
If it doesn't do it with other sources, perhaps it's the input tube for that circuit???
If you have outboard phono stage, did you try plugging into where the digital is?
Good luck and report back...
And buy a Stereophile test disc sometime...save headaches and more worthwhile than Get Better Sound.