?What’s this? A DAC4800A/MEGA hybrid ??

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: ?What’s this? A DAC4800A/MEGA hybrid ??
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2019, 07:30 am »
Here's what a Cherry MEGAschino MK2 looks like with the newest hardware....

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2019, 01:13 pm »
Properly designed equipment doesn’t require “fixes”.

Even some of your amps that I had over here responded differently with different power cables and A/C filtering.

That brings me to another question. When are you going to offer a battery powered version of one of your amps?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jun 2019, 05:07 pm »
Even some of your amps that I had over here responded differently with different power cables and A/C filtering.

That brings me to another question. When are you going to offer a battery powered version of one of your amps?
Regarding AC filtering and conditioning, we don't recommend use of fancy power cords or power conditioners since they don't make a measurable difference in performance, but many customers do use such devices in their system.  Power re-generators can give you a tiny bit more max power with linear supply amps (like Classic Cherry and Cherry MEGA) because they prevent line droop.  All Cherry products include power filtering for EMI immunity.  All Maraschino amps have regulated power supplies as well.  Cherry DAC DACs have 4-step power filtering (includes regeneration, regulation, and multiple filter stages).

Regarding battery power, back in 2012 (pre-Maraschino), we were asked about this, but the idea fizzled.  After the Maraschino had some time on the market, we started design work on a DC/DC converter to run 48V or 36V Maraschinos from lower voltage batteries (with an integrated charger).  I also talked to Vinnie Rossi about this back in 2015, since he made some battery powered equipment.  The idea was to make a power supply to power Cherry Maraschino Amps.  Maybe we can get him to comment on this new thread (I'll send a message):
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164405.0

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2019, 05:17 pm »
Regarding AC filtering and conditioning, we don't recommend use of fancy power cords or power conditioners since they don't make a measurable difference in performance, but many customers do use such devices in their system.  Power re-generators can give you a tiny bit more max power with linear supply amps (like Classic Cherry and Cherry MEGA) because they prevent line droop.  All Cherry products include power filtering for EMI immunity.  All Maraschino amps have regulated power supplies as well.  Cherry DAC DACs have 4-step power filtering (includes regeneration, regulation, and multiple filter stages).

Yeap, yeap, all of that, but in our system different power cables and conditioning (Uber Buss and/or Dodd Audo balanced power supply) made clear and audible differences. Granted it was on some of your older units. If you'd like to send me out some of your newer amps I'll give it another go.

RonN5

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2019, 08:03 pm »
It seems to me that when Vinnie moved away from battery products, battery powered audio lost an important high end audio supporter...which means that for the most part, the demand must be pretty low.  I think this makes them kind of a one off product where anyone who really wants a battery powered device goes to Vinnie or Tommy or some else and negotiates a deal to make this product...and yes, it will probably be expensive with no absolute guarantee as to the sound.

As to the cable discussion...why would any designer...Tommy, Vinnie, Frank VA...or anyone else knowingly offer their products with internal wiring or power cords that they know are less than they could be if "better" wiring/cabling were used?  Yes, some people like PS Audio suggest that you step up to their "better sounding" power cord....yikes...why would you not make that the standard and increase your price?

So, where does that leave us...my thought is that Tommy and many others offer the best sounding products they can make...and if their customers either hear....or think they hear....better sound from any of the dozens of high end cables, they are free to swap them into their system, write about them on various forums....and be happy with their choice.  But that in no way means that Tommy should change what he is doing unless he and his own evaluation panel conclude that "surprise...and probably wow...cable X actually does make a meaningful difference".

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #25 on: 1 Nov 2019, 09:02 pm »
Tommy,

Maybe this is general MEGA Mk2 question, but regarding the auto sleep, as I know this was a feature implemented in the Golden Maraschino and because I'd guess someone at some point would maybe want or ask for it, is there a "no sleep" mod available for the MEGA Mk2?  In particular with a DAC4800A upgraded chassis already with the additional front power/sleep button, this might be somehow a nice to have.

Thanks!

Jon
Jon,

Came across your question while searching for something else on our board....

There is a jumper on the MEGA channel board (mounts to the motherboard) to prevent sleep mode, but so far, all customers with Cherry MEGAs have sleep mode enabled.  Thanks again.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #26 on: 5 Nov 2019, 10:34 pm »
We have one available through our Fall Sale !!

Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for the price list.

This is using the newest MK2 boards.  Our highest performance amp on the bench and in the ear....  Bass with authority, smooth, airy highs, ultra quiet noise floor, and effortless transient impact.  The Cherry MEGA MK2 is THAT good.

Thanks (: