Introductions!

Timbo in Oz

Hi all, been coming and going for a while now
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2004, 12:03 am »
:)

old audiophile, unemployed systems analyst, and IT/Business Risk Manager

my main system is

antenna array on DIY mast, grounding rods for signal ground, mast ground and antenna ground.  RG6 to Fuba combiner on mast, then RG11 incl. network in house.

Tuner is a much modded and aligned Kenwood W8 tube (was simulcast) rcvr, with a Studio 12 kit MPX stereo decoder from Wales, and a doubled up AM stage, mostly for our wonderful Aunties Radio National.  Best tuner I have ever owned. The PP 6BM8 power amps are off.

pre is a very much modified 'was an AWE/VSE  FVP in a Quad22 box'  - mark 4 or so now.  Separate overkill PSU on floor, mark 3.

Gainless buffered line stage.

classic twin 12AX7 passive RIAA with AWE's 50k T/O deas and TdP's bass alignment +/- 0.3 db.  fed by a modded AT trannie.

Two much modded Leak Stereo 20's one in Pentode and one in triode mode, input and driver tubes rpelced and NFB down for these stages, CCS Fet on each 6CG7 splitter driver tube.  El84M's.

to biamp Model 3 Audiospheres  made here near Canberra.  yes they are OLD but I believe they are up to most of the stuff I hear.  They predate many spkrs* in using good sounding plastic caps throughout, and air coils, and no HP on the midbass at all.  ( Epos, and Reference Da Capo).  Xopvers out and relays for polarity switching from my seat.

CDP is Rotel RCD 965BX With Ltd. Edition and Discrete mods.

Nakamichi B300 cassette deck,  rebuilt and tweaked.

Panasonic f55V Hi-Fi VCR for long-play time shifting from radio

Tandy tape switcher,

Luxman surround decoder/amp - a round-tuit project.

TT is a modified TD150 Thorens, SMe 3009/11 det. Satx twin pin shel. Denon 103D/VdH type1.  damping pot.  Nagaoka SE22 dished mineral loaded stiff mat, extended spindle for GB clamp.  

main shelf is a 76" X 24 x 3 inch cream concrete house step, on bespoke forged wall brackets.  

go here for my set-up process for 3 spring sprungies

http://www.theanalogdept.com/susp_tim_bailey.htm.

The L-Shaped room is treated too, have gone at this slowly, but it has all worked, still more to do.

Timbo in Oz

fishball79

Introductions!
« Reply #21 on: 3 Apr 2004, 01:57 am »
Hi all,

Am a student from singapore currently pursuing the last year of a degree in IT from QUT, Brisbane.  Been here for more than a year, love the weather and hope to stay to work as well.

I sold off a nice setup in Singapore before coming here *sob sob*  Now i have a nice 12yr old Teac CD-Z500, a chinese made tube hybrid headphone amp and a pair of Grado SR225 headphones.

Will be building an amplifier and a pair of bookshelfs and sub soon.

bhobba

Introductions!
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2004, 01:18 am »
Hi All

My name is Bill and I am an about to retire IT person from Canberra now moved to Brisbane.  Unfortunately I have had to retire a bit earlier than I would have liked because I have developed arthritis but on the positive side it allows me to devote more time to things I like.

They are understanding physics, especially relativity and related areas, Hi Fi, and financial and medical constraints permitting, wine.

At present my Hi Fi system consists of Axis LS 88 front speakers, Axis center and Axis rears, Rotel 5ch home theatre amp and Link DAC.  I also have an Evocotor subwoofer I left with a friend in Canberra.

Unfortunately they are impractical in my new lodgings.  I was told by my TV technician the magnetic fields had warped my TV so I have now a permanent bit of green in one corner.

At this stage I do not know what I will do with my setup, may sell it or set it up in my mums lounge or in my sisters place that lives nearby.  If the mood takes me, and finance permits, I may invest in a more practical Hi Fi for my current accommodation.

Apart from the space and magnetic field problems I was very happy with my Hi Fi.  I took quite a few trips to Hi Fi stores in Canberra and Sydney before deciding on my current equipment and can say except for electrostatics, the Ambience ribbons and high end Duntech heard no speaker than was better then the LS88's (and then not by much) or a subwoofer better than the Evocotor.  My understanding is that things have changed a bit and there are now some speakers around that will do the 88's but the Evocotor is still hard to beat (happy to discuss this).  However whenever I heard someone was in the market for a Hi Fi I always took them to my place to listen to the 88's and in quite a few cases decided on them over more expensive gear or saw the case for spending a bit more to get a much better product.  BTW if you have 88s try bi amping them - at cross over they go down to 2 ohms or less and the less strain put on the amp in bi amping seems to make a big difference.  So I guess even now they are still a good speaker.

Well I suppose that is all there is for an introduction.  Hope to respond to some posts and start learning about what is happening in Oz Hi Fi these days.

Bill

no capes

Introductions!
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2005, 07:07 am »
Hi All

I just realised that I posted my question about turntables without introducing myself.  This is the first time I have ever joined a forum and I really have no idea what I am doing.  Please excuse my ignorance.   :oops:

I said hello under the Aspen circle, but I will add some detail here.  When I finished school, I worked as a tradesman and site supervisor on a range of domestic and commercial building projects.  I now work for the state building regulatory body in the area of dispute resolution.  I am in my mid thirties, have two kids and like 1970s music.

My current audio system is rather modest.  I have a project turntable, arcam cd player, musical fidelity integrated amp and whatmough monitors.

With a little help, some money and a fair bit of work, I hope to build up a new system.

Cheers

ikerr1980

Introductions!
« Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2005, 05:02 am »
Hi all,

Doesnt seem like much activity on this forum lately - lets see if I can change that.

Names Ian, I'm 25 and live/work in Brisbane, Queensland AUST.  I have I.T qualifications but currently work in a client support/customer service role for a global freight company.  Audio is more or less an addiction for me.  My flavour is strictly 2 channel but I also indulge in car audio too.

Components:

Rotel RA-971mkII amp
Rotel RCD-951 CD player
Yamaha KX-390 tape deck
Yamaha TX-492 tuner
Perreaux SXH-1 pure class A headphone amp
Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Tannoy Mercury M1 (original model, not the remakes)
Sonique Thunderbox 1200 powered sub

I'd like to upgrade to a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42s eventually, but I've just moved house - funds scare...

coemaudio

• http://www.coemaudio.com.au
Introductions!
« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2005, 03:15 am »
Hello friends,

First time posting here, I have been interested in Stereo Hi-Fi for awhile now. Most my interest being in DIY Audio and Tube amplifiers.

Here is my current setup

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/pho_boi/IMGP2824Custom.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/pho_boi/IMGP2825Custom.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/pho_boi/IMGP2821Large.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c377/pho_boi/IMGP2822Large.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslmnlo/IMGP2285.JPG

I have a 35w integrated tube amplifier, and it uses the EL34 tubes in a PP Class AB circuit.

On my desk is also a DIY USB DAC and a DIY Headphone Amplifier.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Aussieamps

• http://www.aussieamplifiers.com
Introductions!
« Reply #26 on: 28 Apr 2006, 04:07 am »
Greetings Everyone

I would just like to introduce myself.
Anthony Holton is my name, Quite new to this forum.
I look forward to having some interesting discussions with you all.