Power conditioning

Eric

Power conditioning
« on: 24 Mar 2005, 05:55 pm »
The next upgrade I will be contemplating will be in the area of Power Conditioning. Currently I am using a Monster HTS-3500 to power the DAC, Transport, DIP and preamp. My amp goes directly to the wall.

I am looking for somehting that would provide improvement to the sound. It's not that I am disatisfied, its just I do not know what is possible in this area, so I want to find out.

1. What are you guys using and what does it do to your system?
2. Which mfrs allow an in home demo?

Thanks for your help,

Eric

byteme

Power conditioning
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2005, 06:10 pm »
Eric,

After much experimentation with essentially DIY power conditioning - modifying the heck out of Powervar and Oneac units I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a BPT unit, which to me is the blueprint for conditioning.

I was very happy with the results of the mods I did myself to the powervars and oneacs though.  I had 4 in my system, two little 1amp guys one each for the Dac and Transport, an ABC600 and an ABC1200, the 600 for the analog side (basically preamp & tv) and the 1200 for the digital side (oneacs, pre/pro, dvd, sat box, etc.)

All of them were heavily lined with ERS and dynamat, had bypassed any switches, upgraded the outlets to Cryo'd ones, upgraded the internal wiring to cryo'd where possible.  All told I had about $600+ in them.  The BPT was twice as much, but damn...have you seen the thing!  And performance is everything everyone says it is.  Absolutley zero background noise, cleaner clearer presentation, more detail, more slam, more dynamics.

I run amps directly into the wall which are cryo'd outlets on dedicated 20A circuits.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Power conditioning
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2005, 06:32 pm »
Hey Eric,

Check out Richard Gray's Power Company. I have 2 of the 400's and love what they have done for my whole system. They seem to have made everything open up and breath. Bass response faster and tighter, snare drums snappier, vocals clearer, imaging more precise, etc; After I bought one, it works so well, I bought another one. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Power conditioning
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2005, 07:12 pm »
The killer deal out there right now is this Equitech 1.5kVA isolation transformer in a box for $399.

http://www.equitech.com/products/seconds/seconds.html

But you will need to spend a few hundred more to make this work.  You can have an electrician mount the box next to your electrical panel and run a dedicated AC line to your equipment.  Or I suppose you can mount the transformer and a bunch of AC outlets in a big power amp chassis and wire it up like a standard PLC.  

If you're willing to put in a little extra effort, you'll end up with the same performance level as the $2-3k PLCs for a lot less money.

jcoat007

Power conditioning
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2005, 08:06 pm »
I second what byteme said.  I am using a bunch of powervar units, although I have not enhanced them to the extent that byteme did.  I only changed out the outlets to cryo'd pass & seymour 5362A's.  I do have some dynamat and ers sheets which I am going to use.  

They are not very expensive and really cleaned up the sound I was getting from system.  I am using a few of the 6 amp models and I just picked up a massive 20 amp model.

Eric

Power conditioning
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2005, 08:38 pm »
Does BPT offer in home auditions?

byteme

Power conditioning
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2005, 08:45 pm »
Quote from: Eric

According to their site (I had to check myself) - http://www.b-p-t.com/ -

Items may be purchased factory-direct and carry a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Chris was great to deal with!

KJ

Power conditioning
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2005, 12:55 am »

Where in northern Illinois are you located?  Although not the same as auditioning in your own home, you can always swing over the border.  I use a BP-2 Ultra.  As others have said, Chris Hoff provides outstanding support.

-KJ

Levi

Re: Power conditioning
« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2005, 01:58 am »
Hi Eric,

Try Richard Gray products.  The results are not subtle.  I think you will like it better than the HTS 3500.  

Levi

The next upgrade I will be contemplating will be in the area of Power Conditioning. Currently I am using a Monster HTS-3500 to power the DAC, Transport, DIP and preamp. My amp goes directly to the wall.

I am looking for somehting that would provide improvement to the sound. It's not that I am disatisfied, its just I do not know what is possible in this area, so I want to find out.

1. What are you guys using and what does it do to your system?
2. Which mfrs allow an in home demo?

Thanks for your help,

Eric

PhilNYC

Re: Power conditioning
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2005, 02:07 am »
Quote from: Levi

Try Richard Gray products.  The results are not subtle.

That would depend on how good/bad the AC is, no?  :wink:

Eric

Power conditioning
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2005, 02:50 am »
Phil,

Thay is an excellent point. That is why an in home audition is a must for me. By the way, I got your PM. I'll be talking to you soon