Let's play a game -- This should be fun:O

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
Let's play a game -- This should be fun:O
« on: 24 Aug 2015, 03:16 am »
The game: What is the best stereo system you can build for $800.  (Receiver or integrated or separates plus speakers)

You can go vintage or new.  You can go tube or solid state as long as you don't go over $800.  You have to explain why you chose what you did.

Assumption: We won't worry about sources for the purpose of this game.  Everyone gets a freebie iPod that they can aux in.

I'll start:
Integrated--Accuphase E202 $500
Speakers--Klipsch KG 4.2 $300
Total -- $800
Why? -- Accuphase builds some high quality gear.  The E202 was one of their first integrated amps, and I really like the looks.  Quality internals, high damping factor, cool meters, and enough demand for resale if you need to later.

I picked the KG 4.2, because it fits my budget, is a very efficient speaker needing minimal watts to sound great, and still has reasonable bass.

That's all.  Cheers.  :thumb:
Kyle

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Let's play a game -- This should be fun:O
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2015, 10:47 am »
Napa Acoustics Mini System:  tiny integrated (2 tube pre, 25 wpc solid state power) & tiny 2-way speakers (4 inch woofers) for $598.  Heard it at the end of a long day at the Chicago Axpona audio show last April.  Did an amazing job of filling a largish room, musical, did nothing wrong (obviously lack deep bass and high spls), but was a breath of fresh air after the other 95% of the rooms that sounded artificial and all so similar.  Money left over for iFi nano DAC.

Parts Express Topping TP31 ($149, 15 wpc integrated with 24/192 DAC) and Tekton Mini-Lore ($650/pair, F3=38Hz, 95 dB/w/m).

KEF X300A: $800/pair, active speakers with built-in DAC.

Any number of powered/active speakers (without DAC) would fill the bill nicely (Adam A3X, Equator D8, Genelec 8010, JBL LSR308, and Tannoy Reveal 802 come to mind).

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
Re: Let's play a game -- This should be fun:O
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2015, 02:50 pm »
You can use  an analog source also.  No worries.   :)

(Free) for purposes of the game.