Musical Life TT in the house!

Ericus Rex

Musical Life TT in the house!
« on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:15 pm »
So I now have the turntable set up and spinning.  Compared to the Oracles I've been using for 13 years setup was an absolute breeze!  Here's a tasty slideshow of it's progress:

120 lbs of turntable on my floor.  OUCH!  Plinth is shorter box on top.  All else in bottom box.

Bottom box opened.

Plinth in place.  By now, I'm really needing some pain pills.  That sucker is 1.5" of solid slate and weighs over 60 lbs!  Fingers are slightly flattened now too.  Check out that beautiful grain!

Motor, bearing base and armpod in place.  The really cool thing about this table is that it is completely modular.  It can accomodate up to 4 arms, 4 motors (if you're that nuts), and any length of arm to 12" with no drilling or customizing.  12" arm?  No problem!  Just move the armpod out to the proper distance from spindle.  You can also put the platter anywhere you want on the plinth.

All set up with Audiomods Series IV arm and Grado Red (while my ZYX is being retipped).

In Action!  I was really concerned that it would take 10 minutes for the platter to come up to speed but it only takes about 6 seconds.  That motor must really be strong!  There is a Positive-Feedback review of this table on the web and that was the only quibble.  This seems like a slightly different table overall and it would appear that Musical Life corrected that quibble.  Platter stopping takes a mere 4 seconds.  Without the belt attached the platter spins quite freely and should take much longer to slow down.  There must be a lot of resistance in the motor when switched off.

So how does it sound?  I'm still getting a grip on that but it really seems to be something special so far.  It has a very natural, true to life sound, reminiscent of tube amps for me.  The bass is strong but not out of balance with the rest of the spectrum.  Pitch is very good.  So far I'm very pleased but it will take lots more listening to get my head around all its wonders.  I'll keep you all posted!

DaveyW

Re: Musical Life TT in the house!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:29 pm »
Excellent pics - It's like a slow unveiling when viewing the thread!

I bet you're spending any free time rummaging through the collection seeing what you can throw at it.

Looking forward to hearing your onward thoughts, especially with the ZYX.

Very nice

Dave

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:43 pm »
Hefty Hefty Hefty

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:47 pm »
Did you use talc on the belt? It sometimes will help give the belt a little more slippage while starting up, so the motor can get to full speed faster (where it has maximum torque). Of course, I'm jealous.  :lol:

Wayner

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:37 pm »
Looks very nice indeed. Off topic, are you the one who bought my Meadowlark speakers? The parts in the photos sure look familiar.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:50 pm »
Thanks all!

I didn't try talc on the belt, Wayner.  Will do that asap.

Yep, Mike.  Those WERE your Blue Heron 2's   8)  Loving them!

I've now got about 4 or so hours on the table and am still very impressed.

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm »
If you spin it full-time it will stop your house from shaking in an earthquake! Maybe get an insurance premium reduction...

Paul

Ericus Rex

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2011, 10:18 pm »
If you spin it full-time it will stop your house from shaking in an earthquake! Maybe get an insurance premium reduction...

I feel as if I'm altering the rotation of the planet every time I start 'er up!

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2011, 11:14 pm »
Nice turntable, glad you found your entry into the world of spinning high mass! I hope it give you many years of listening joy. That slate plinth is particularly tasty IMO.  :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:51 am »
Hey!
  That's one heavy TT set there. Love the clean looks and simplicity of it. I've never heard of this maker before.

So, how is this high mass TT sound compare to the old one?

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:19 am »
Hi Buddy,

I've been waiting to answer your question until my REAL cartridge returns from retip.  AND IT'S NOW IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!

I have had my spare cartridge, a Grado Prestige Red, on it for a couple of weeks now.  I really enjoy what I'm hearing; very even and natural from top to bottom, bass has the 'thump' that most cartridges do but it's fully supported by weight without calling any attention to itself.  I really can't wait to hear it with a cartridge worthy of it's radness.  Should be here early next week.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2011, 02:54 am »
That is one stellar looking deck, Ericus :thumb:

Put a Longhorn on that Grado Red....and a nude shibata from an older Grado (a stylus G1+ I use) and you'll be in heaven with that Grado for under $500. Really - as good as a hi output cartriedge gets in many respects and the most natural (ie, sounds like the unamplified event most closely) sound of any

Tho I have 1-2 cartridges I like as much (among the 15 or so I own or have auditioned) there is something so terrific about the Grado's set up this way.  Truly, they make every other cartridge sound a bit weak-kneed in comparison (even a $2800 London Decca Jubilee often lauded for it's dynamics)

Enjoy!  John

Bear

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:41 am »
Awesome looking table :green:,   Any concerns or quibbles about its sonic and/or mechanical performance or  future reliability?

Truly awesome set up :thumb:
Shane

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:59 am »
That's a very impressive looking TT. Looks like it was designed by NASA engineers.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2011, 11:57 am »
Any concerns or quibbles about its sonic and/or mechanical performance or  future reliability?

Prior to receiving the table I was worried about how long it took to come to speed and stop.  But in practice both are fast.  Once I start up the motor it's to speed by the time I get the stylus over the vinyl.

It's such a simple design that the only thing that could go wrong with it is motor or controller failure - which seems unlikely, at least for a long time.  Like all other high end tables, the bearing is WAY over-engineered and should pose no problems as long as I keep it properly lubed.  And should the motor fail and Musical Life not be around any longer for parts I could replace the motor with any number of aftermarket motors and keep on rollin'!  This would be an issue if I had paid full retail for it but they are now being cleared out for (relatively) very little money so I'm not too worried about it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2011, 09:11 pm »
Put a Longhorn on that Grado Red....and a nude shibata from an older Grado (a stylus G1+ I use) and you'll be in heaven with that Grado for under $500. Really - as good as a hi output cartriedge gets in many respects and the most natural (ie, sounds like the unamplified event most closely) sound of any

Tho I have 1-2 cartridges I like as much (among the 15 or so I own or have auditioned) there is something so terrific about the Grado's set up this way.  Truly, they make every other cartridge sound a bit weak-kneed in comparison (even a $2800 London Decca Jubilee often lauded for it's dynamics)

Enjoy!  John

Thanks John!

I have a used Grado Black that came with a table I found on the 'bay that I plan to do a monster mod-job on.  I plan on basically doing every mod I've read about here and at VE plus put a better stylus on it.  It may take me a while to get around to it all but I'll be sure to post my thoughts afterward.

Got Bill Evans spinning right now!

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2011, 11:45 pm »
Thanks John!

I have a used Grado Black that came with a table I found on the 'bay that I plan to do a monster mod-job on.  I plan on basically doing every mod I've read about here and at VE plus put a better stylus on it.  It may take me a while to get around to it all but I'll be sure to post my thoughts afterward.

Got Bill Evans spinning right now!

Give me a shout when your ready to up the stylus.

orientalexpress

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2011, 11:53 pm »
Nice ,here another one from the same manufactor.

lapsan

Ericus Rex

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:03 am »
Very nice!  Is that a Rosewood finish?

orientalexpress

« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2011, 01:22 am »
It's Makassar ebony,love those controller for a belt drive. :thumb:

lapsan