1 channel bad Technics 1200

kenscott30

1 channel bad Technics 1200
« on: 17 Sep 2018, 08:17 am »
Friends,

I have an issue with my Technics 1200 turntable. I have replaces the RCAs as well as rewired the tonearm. When I listen to my Ortofon Concorde Pro S cart I can only hear music from 1 speaker. If I swap the headshell with another cartridge I can only hear music from the OTHER speaker. What is going on? How should I start to figure out what the problem is?  Thanks in advance, I would love to get this table working again.  :(

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: 1 channel bad Technics 1200
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2018, 11:41 am »
Couple questions:

When you say swapped the headshell with another cartridge, do you mean a different headshell or are you swapping a different cartridge onto the headshell you rewired?

Do you have an ohm meter with which you can check continuity from headshell to RCA outputs?

If you have an ohm meter, this should be simple. It sounds like you have a faulty connection at the headshell to me.

AllynW

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2018, 08:56 pm »
I had a similar issue with a Concorde and my SL-1210MKII w/Jelco arm.  Check to see if the slip nut on the arm allows proper physical contact.   On mine, it seemed like slip nut stopped at the cartridge and did not allow for tight contact between the cartridge and arm.  Make sure the slip nut is good and tight.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2018, 11:58 pm by AllynW »

kenscott30

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:15 pm »
Couple questions:

When you say swapped the headshell with another cartridge, do you mean a different headshell or are you swapping a different cartridge onto the headshell you rewired?

Do you have an ohm meter with which you can check continuity from headshell to RCA outputs?

If you have an ohm meter, this should be simple. It sounds like you have a faulty connection at the headshell to me.

The Concorde Pro S has a built in headshell, I am not sure what to call it but its an 'all in one'.
I do have an ohm meter but assuming I am a 10 yr old... I see on the arm 2 pins on top, 2 pins on the bottom. What should I set the ohm meter to? And if I touch the top left pin, where does the other lead go on the interconnects, inside or outside? Sorry for the really simple questions, I have just never checked it.
The Amazon cart came on a headshell with the 4 wire attached.

kenscott30

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:17 pm »
I had a similar issue with a Concorde and my SL-1210MKII w/Jelco arm.  Check to see if the slip nut on the arm allows proper physical contact.   On mine, it seemed like slip nut stopped at the cartridge and did allow for tight contact between the cartridge and arm.  Make sure the slip nut is good and tight.

That is interesting about that slip nut. It seems tight and ODDLY when I took it off the Concorde S doesn't make any sound at all. I am thinking its something in the end of the tone arm, the contacts possibly. I will dig into checking the continuity of the wire path.

Thanks!

kenscott30

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:19 pm »
I might have found my answer..
https://imgur.com/a/lPqXd#Ezl5GkN

Charles Calkins

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2018, 12:39 am »
I might have found my answer..
https://imgur.com/a/lPqXd#Ezl5GkN
  The answer you found for your TT problem says"Keep your hand steady" My hands have not been steady in 1,000 years

Cheers
                                                 Charlie

kenscott30

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2018, 03:34 pm »
Well, I have sort out my issues...

I removed the Bugle double 9v battery phono preamp from the equation and ran the table through my cambridge audio 540P along with the cheap amazon cart+headshell and both channels worked. I thought it was the PP so I switched back to the Ortofon Concorde Pro S and one channel went out. Back to the cheap cart and it seems to work.... SO It might be that 1 9V battery (1 channel) is bad on the Bugle ( I don't want to spend $10 on 2 new 9vts or buy a battery tester), or that 1 side of the Concorde Pro S is bad or that every time I unscrew the cart from the technics arm there is a funky connection there... I chatted with an audio dealer over the weekend who knows what they are doing with turntables in greater Los Angeles. Either I pay $310 for a nice cart + adjustments + clean / lube and tax OR I polish this thing up sell it on craigslist and get a new turntable with dealer support.... 

Leaning towards (an ugly to me) Project Classic or possibly Project Classic SB SuperPack. Dealer says its nice (Classic + Ortofon Bronze) is a nice sounding table.

Thanks folks.. I will need a month + for funds.