Ottavo!!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Ottavo!!
« Reply #40 on: 31 Jan 2018, 07:05 pm »
The listening axis is typically 7 degrees up or down from the center of the tweeter. Let me know what you think.

AvFan

« Reply #41 on: 1 Feb 2018, 01:27 am »
My ears at my listening position are 100" from the tweeter so if I've done the trig correctly, seven degrees down would be just over 12" or 27" off the floor.  So maybe slouching with my ears at 30" isn't a big deal?  But I swore it sounded better when my ears were higher at the level between the mid and tweeter at 37".  Clearer highs and better soundstage.  Maybe it was my imagination.

I know MTMs don't sound good if your ears are up or down too much from the level of the tweeter.  Does the mid-range of the Ottavo interfere with the sound from the tweeter when my ears are below the tweeter?  Do the little two foam pieces on the front of the tweeter have any impact on the sound above or below the tweeter?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #42 on: 1 Feb 2018, 01:38 am »
My ears at my listening position are 100" from the tweeter so if I've done the trig correctly, seven degrees down would be just over 12" or 27" off the floor.  So maybe slouching with my ears at 30" isn't a big deal?  But I swore it sounded better when my ears were higher at the level between the mid and tweeter at 37".  Clearer highs and better soundstage.  Maybe it was my imagination.

I know MTMs don't sound good if your ears are up or down too much from the level of the tweeter.  Does the mid-range of the Ottavo interfere with the sound from the tweeter when my ears are below the tweeter?  Do the little two foam pieces on the front of the tweeter have any impact on the sound above or below the tweeter?

Hmm... that doesn't sound right as the center of the tweeter would be at zero degrees. The midpoint of the tweeter and mid is a good axis. The foam pieces make the vertical coverage more uniform.

AvFan

« Reply #43 on: 1 Feb 2018, 04:27 am »
OK we don't want to get too precise here but I put a pillow in my listening chair and raised my ears to about 37" above the floor.  With the tweeter at 39" the angle would be about 1.2 degrees down to my ears.  It sounded wonderful with my ears at that height.  Well, the Ottavo sound wonderful all the time but like I said it seemed there was more clarity and better soundstage when I sat higher and closer to the height of the tweeter. 

Remind me:  How many of the little sharks teeth above and below the center of the tweeter are the foam pieces supposed to go?  I thought it was six; three up and three down.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #44 on: 1 Feb 2018, 02:20 pm »
OK we don't want to get too precise here but I put a pillow in my listening chair and raised my ears to about 37" above the floor.  With the tweeter at 39" the angle would be about 1.2 degrees down to my ears.  It sounded wonderful with my ears at that height.  Well, the Ottavo sound wonderful all the time but like I said it seemed there was more clarity and better soundstage when I sat higher and closer to the height of the tweeter. 

Remind me:  How many of the little sharks teeth above and below the center of the tweeter are the foam pieces supposed to go?  I thought it was six; three up and three down.

6-7 teeth :)

AvFan

« Reply #45 on: 12 Feb 2018, 04:25 pm »
6-7 teeth :)

Sometimes its the basics.  I thought I was having trouble with the anti-skate adjustment on my turntable when the highs from the left speaker where muted compared to the right.  However, digital music was the same so I exercised the gain pots on my amp, the balance control on my preamp and checked all the connections.  No change.  Then I remembered the teeth.  I carefully adjusted the foam pieces on the RAAL tweeter and, Bingo!, everything evened out.   :duh:  I'm happy I could actually hear the difference!