SET 120

Hear Clifford Brown

SET 120
« on: 21 Feb 2024, 01:32 am »
Okay to leave it turned on most of the time?  To have it always ready with no warmup required.  Or does it warm up so fast that leaving it on is not necessary?

TomBo

Re: SET 120
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2024, 02:32 am »
In my opinion my SET 120 Control amp doesn't need any warm-up time.  By the time the needle on my turntable warms up and my speakers have flexed a few times, the amp is already singing... How do you like the SET 120?

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2024, 04:21 am »
I've become aware of the same, no warm up required.  I really like the SET 120.  Mine is a straight amp with no volume control.  I was surprised how it has the same soundstage width and depth as the 300B amp it replaced.  Solid images with space between them.  Tone and texture, it's all there.  I might want to add a tube preamp for warmth and tonal richness.  But for now I'm very happy with the sound.

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2024, 04:47 am »
I’m going to differ on this one. As a former SET 120 owner, it sounds good right after being turned on, but much better after it’s been on 24 hours…. I had it paired with a tube preamp and it was a wonderful combination.

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2024, 01:22 pm »
I’ve used the SET120 for a couple years now and have done tests with leaving it on for extended periods of time .
I do think the unit sounds marginally better when it’s left on… but I also don’t think that little bit is really with the trouble and potential concerns of doing so.
I like to power it up half an hour before I sit down to listen and I’ve never been disappointed listening to this amplifier .

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2024, 04:27 pm »
I think that we, at AVA, have concluded that the best reason to turn the unit off is to reduce the number of hours on the big electrolytic capacitors in the amp.  This is a spec of the capacitor and, while we have seen no failures due to time, if would always be better to have less hours than more.  All things being equal, turn the amp off and save some time on the caps.

Dan

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2024, 04:38 pm »
Thanks Dan, that's what I'll do, big thumbs up!