Mixing Salks in a HT set up?

Bigload

Mixing Salks in a HT set up?
« on: 13 Feb 2010, 02:44 pm »
Just thinking ahead a little.  With my first set of Salk SongTower QWT's on order, all of the "what ifs" start coming to mind.  My plan is to use this set in a 2 channel set up, but if I am really pleased, I would order more for my HT room.  That is where the question of mixed speakers comes up.  I have read some different opinions on this. 

If I had a matching set of Salk ST fronts and center channel, running on an AVA 240/3, would it be a problem to keep my Polk FXiA6 dipole surrounds and rear surrounds (running direct from my 140wpc AVR) in service?  I guess the reasons for me to consider this are 1) I do like the difused, room filling sound of a dipole surround, and 2) I already have them so cost is zero.   Is there anything technically wrong with this, like... should not mix 4ohm and 8ohm between front and rear, should not have different tweeters or driver types between front and rear??  I have read some of this stuff, but am more inclined to believe that since surrounds and rear surrounds are almost all effect, it probably does not matter.  Can you straighten me out?

Thanks!

vintagebob

Re: Mixing Salks in a HT set up?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:36 pm »
I believe that if you are using the Polk's in an HT setting you sould probably be OK and power/speaker impedance should not be an issue.  Multi channel music MIGHT be an issue.    If your AVR runs Audyssey or MCACC it will level match all of the speakers for you.

Similar discussion...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76004.0

My HT system...Salks all around sound good.   :green:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1241

Bigload

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:42 pm »
Thanks for the link VBob.  Your set up looks awesome too. 

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2010, 04:03 pm »
You shouldn't have an issue at all, Bigload, unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel music (SACD or DVD-A, especially).  If so, you might notice the difference in timbre (tone, pitch, different crossover points, etc), but in HT I doubt you'd notice.  I use a pair of WAF-1's for rears currently, and after I leveled matched I never noticed anything distracting or different when watching movies.  I also don't listen to much multi-channel music, so my setup works very well for me.  YMMV, of course, but I say try it out (be sure to level match), and don't bother replacing the side and rear speakers unless you notice a difference. 

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm »
spend your money on the front sides and center
more there salk wise and less elsewhere

I have b&w 301 rears
and a jl audio 113

with my v3's and monster center!

I haven't upgraded the rears yet as I am so content already
jim will get the call sometime

my sub - no slouch and no need

I can tell you
nobody complains when they come over to watch a movie or see a concert bluray or dvd! in fact they invite themselves over