Quan's SoundScape 8's in Red Matador Mica

kip_

Re: Quan's SoundScape 8's in Red Matador Mica
« Reply #40 on: 5 Mar 2012, 06:42 pm »
Maybe I missed it? What is the cost for SS 8's and can someone compare their performance when compared to the HT3's.
Thanx

They should be better in all aspects than the HT3. Deeper extension, better midrange driver, and more surface area from the 2 8" woofers than one 10" woofer for more slam.

fsimms

« Reply #41 on: 5 Mar 2012, 06:51 pm »
Maybe I missed it? What is the cost for SS 8's and can someone compare their performance when compared to the HT3's.
Thanx

I wrote a comparison between my HT1s and my SS10s.  Jim Salk has said that the HT3 sounds the same as the HT1 above 100 Hz.  I think the SS8 will sound similar to the SS10.   

Comparison of HT1 and SS10

Bob

Nuance

« Reply #42 on: 5 Mar 2012, 09:51 pm »
I wrote a comparison between my HT1s and my SS10s.  Jim Salk has said that the HT3 sounds the same as the HT1 above 100 Hz.  I think the SS8 will sound similar to the SS10.   

Comparison of HT1 and SS10

Bob

I agree, and I've heard the HT3.  The acuton midrange driver is sensational!  I've heard it in an enclosed configuration and you would have sworn the midrange cabinet had an open-back design (the sound stage depth and imaging is amazing).  The RAAL is, of course, probably the best ribbon on the planetr; so extended and detailed but also smooth.  Compared to the HT3 I personally think the SS8's had even more slam and definitely more bass control (those 10's are hard to control).  They also dug deeper, even in Jim's large wide-open shop space.  The midrange is very hard to describe and I cannot help but just use the words "perfect" or "brilliant."  The Vandersteen Model 5's and 7's are the only other speakers I've heard that had a midrange this accurate to my ears.

My comments can be applied to the entire SS line, of course, but these 8's are too good for the money. 

herb999

« Reply #43 on: 5 Mar 2012, 11:00 pm »
They look great and most probably sound that way too.

As an owner of SS10s, I might prefer the 8s for their more simple, cleaner appearance.
But when I showed them to my fellow-audiophile wife, she said, "They're boring."

So much for the "WAF."
It seems that all Ws are NOT created alike.

Congratulations on another masterpiece, Jim.

saisunil

« Reply #44 on: 5 Mar 2012, 11:16 pm »
stunning ...

sarge_in

« Reply #45 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:17 am »
Woww!  That mica metlflake finish looks AWESOME!  Congrats Jim!

clipped

« Reply #46 on: 6 Mar 2012, 06:48 pm »
They should be better in all aspects than the HT3. Deeper extension, better midrange driver, and more surface area from the 2 8" woofers than one 10" woofer for more slam.

Thanx for the thoughts guys, all I can say is , I was afraid so  :cry:
The SS 8's go to 25k, the HT3's 29k, I was hoping the sound would be very very close there, perhaps not. I can't be sure if there is a 3k dollar overall difference/improvement?? :duh:
I had assumed I bought the end-all speaker when I purchased the HT3's, you all know what happens when you assume though.
By the way, I still love my HT3's. :thumb:

ricardojoa

« Reply #47 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:08 pm »
Thanx for the thoughts guys, all I can say is , I was afraid so  :cry:
The SS 8's go to 25k, the HT3's 29k, I was hoping the sound would be very very close there, perhaps not. I can't be sure if there is a 3k dollar overall difference/improvement?? :duh:
I had assumed I bought the end-all speaker when I purchased the HT3's, you all know what happens when you assume though.
By the way, I still love my HT3's. :thumb:
Well the SS8 are less then 2k more expensive then the HT3.
I think the biggest difference would be the the midrange and the soundstage. Then it would comes to the quality and the tone of the bass. The SS have dual radiators and i think it will have a different bass presentation then a ported alignment. Last but not least, a 3 db over is always a good thing.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #48 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:17 pm »
I'll be sure to comment on the comparison to the HT3's after I take delivery of the SS8's.  I am sure most will redirect their attention to the SS8 if they were considering the HT3's.

In the cement-lined shop the 8's sound great.  Can't wait to hear them in a treated room.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:20 pm »
Can't wait to hear them in a treated room.
ETA?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #50 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:41 pm »
Probably waiting on me to decide the veneer dye.  I have to travel this week so no time to go to the shop.

(W)KRP

« Reply #51 on: 8 Mar 2012, 04:23 am »
What kind of priorities are those? Must...feed...board

saygrr

« Reply #52 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:06 pm »
Can someone explain what Blackhole 5 is? Jim states it is in the woofer,midrange and tweeter sections. I know it makes for a quiet cabinet but what kind of material is it? Is it glued in? Would it be applied to all 6 surfaces, sides top and bottom? Thanks

srb

« Reply #53 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:31 pm »
Can someone explain what Blackhole 5 is? Jim states it is in the woofer,midrange and tweeter sections. I know it makes for a quiet cabinet but what kind of material is it? Is it glued in? Would it be applied to all 6 surfaces, sides top and bottom?

http://www.blackhole-america.com/five.html

It is generally glued in place (with its pressure sensitive adhesive) to all cabinet sides, but I don't know what Salk Sound's option entails.

Some think it makes an audible difference, others not so much if the cabinet is well braced.  Dave Ellis on Cabinet Dampening