New Omega based system

DoodleBoy

New Omega based system
« on: 12 Nov 2003, 09:24 am »
I am thinking of getting into tubes and am in the process of planning for a second system based on Omega speakers.

Total budget for my system would be around $1,500 for amp and speakers.  What can you guys suggest?

What omega speaker would be good for a start and what tube amp?  I am thinking of integrated.

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
New Omega based system
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2003, 12:06 pm »
DB:

That's a rather tight budget.

Any Omega needs stands (figure about $200).

Recommend Super 3 or 3R with - (only $550 - 750 left)

Decware model "C" (has a volume control, but only one input, $500) or a Norh SE-9 for $400.

The 3's are faster than the 1's or 2's and have nearly as much bass.  The Super 3's don't sound as "thin" in the midrange as the 3's.

myoung

New Omega based system
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2003, 06:11 pm »
I'm using the Super 3s with a nOrh SE-9 in a small bedroom system and the two match up well together. The nOrh certainly offers bang for the buck, but note that its preamp section is passive and has only two inputs, if that's a factor for you. I have no problem at all with CD, but with vinyl -- I use a very low output cartridge -- I occasionally have to crank the nOrh's volume pot to 2 or 3 o'clock. With CD, the pot is at 10 o'clock or so.

The nOrh benefits from some tube rolling, but there's nothing shabby about the stock tubes -- mostly Electro-Harmonix. You can live with the EH EL34s and upgrade the 12AX7s and the GZ34 rectifier for modest money when you have a little cash to spare.

And the Super 3s are superb. I had a buddy over to hear some stuff a week or so ago. He walked in, said "How much did you spend for those speakers?" and when I told him a little less than $500, he said, "Man, those were a steal." And he's heard some very sophisticated stuff.

Good luck in your search.

Mike

jwha

New Omega based system
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2003, 06:48 pm »
I also have a norh se-9 paired with TS3s... and have a pair of TS2s on order.  You can do very well with a tight budget if you're ok with getting used gear...

Currently on the 'gon there are two Norh amps for sale:
SE-9 for $330 and SE-18 for $575.
The links are here:
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1073086974
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1072456826

As stated above, tube rolling makes a pretty big difference.  Some NOS JAN GE 5751 black plates are relatively inexpensive as well as a Mullard 5AR4 rectifier.

I'm currently using DH Labs T14 SilverSonic speaker cables that can also be purchased on the 'gon for $40 for a 7' pair.  BTW, these cables have received excellent reviews... especially for their budget price.
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablspkr&1073327607

All in all, you can make an excellent sounding system with a small budget and have a little extra cash for some 'tweaks'.

If your budget is really $1500 for just the amp and speakers, I would possibly suggest looking at a Rogue Audio 88 Tube Amplifier (about $750 used) coupled with a Luminous Audio Technology Axiom Passive Preamp for volume control (about $100 used) and then a pair of Omega TS1 speakers.

DoodleBoy

New Omega based system
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2003, 08:26 am »
nOhr has interesting speaker designs hahaha  how are they compared to Omega?

Second question, what is the difference between the super 3 and the TS2 since they seem to have the same price range but the TS2 uses a bigger driver.

Thanks for you help.  I might up my budget to $2000

JLM

New Omega based system
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2003, 11:54 pm »
TS2 uses a whizzer cone (that opens a whole bunch of theoretical discussion), would be slower, offer fuller bass, and be a bit more efficient.

Since they have the same brand of driver and the same cabinet design/designer you can expect a lot of "family resemblances".

Paul L

New Omega based system
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2003, 01:37 am »
What about the ASL MG-SI15DT?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
New Omega based system
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2003, 02:06 pm »
What about the ASL MG-SI15DT?

I use to be a dealer for ASL and thought the MG-SI15DT was a very nice product. Too bad this was prior to dealing with the Omega speakers as I would think the match would be good between these two.

My Super 3's were run with a Modified Jolida 102B also running in triode for about 10-12 watts and under $600.

There are a lot of good choices to pair with the Omega's that would still fall within your budget including but not limited to all the others mentioned here in this thread.

Good luck and happy listening.

DoodleBoy

New Omega based system
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2003, 01:00 am »
What is the difference between the TS2 and Super3?  They seem to have the same price point.  

Personally i like the look of the TS models more hahaha.  Which one will give a silkier midrange?

Paul L

New Omega based system
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2003, 05:04 am »
I am ASL and Skylan stand for quite a while.  I am looking into getting some tube friendly and good value speakers in addition to Reference 3a in my product line.  Noel of Skylan recommend me checking into Omega and it seems to be a very good alternative.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
New Omega based system
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2003, 12:57 pm »
Go dirrectly to  2baudio.com  and order a Cayin TA-30 :mrgreen:   It is a 35 watt a side EL 34 push pull integrated.    They are awesome and only 499.00  All hand wired point to point silver wire and soder.  All the best, Guy

JLM

New Omega based system
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2003, 05:28 pm »
I'll 2nd the Cayin TA30.  $500 for damaged outer box, $700 for non-damaged outer box, $40 for sub output, $80 for feedback adjustment, $80 for external biasing adjustment.  All options recommended.  This is a very well built amp and offers 4 wpc SET (purity) and 35 wpc push pull (horsepower) options.  Bottom line:  a unique, well built, classy, buy of the year.

IMO Fostex drivers prefer tube amps.