dowel mod on omegas

little fred

dowel mod on omegas
« on: 26 Nov 2003, 02:34 pm »
could someone detail the mod where a dowel (sp) is taped in front of the driver on an omega speaker?  can the rod be wedged into the grill frame instead of being taped?  my 3yr. old finds wizzer cones more interesting than i do.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
dowel mod on omegas
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2003, 01:26 am »
LF:

Check out this thread from below...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=633&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

(from page 1 of the omega threads).  Moray recommends putting the dowel/whatever as close to the driver as possible.

Remember, this is not a substitute for a grill cover or speaker protection.  If that's what your 3 year old needs check out Parts Express.

Bosh

Protection from 3yr olds
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2003, 10:28 pm »
If your child (and I live with three of 'em) is dead-set on messing with your drivers, the dowel tweak certainly won't be of much help.

Fostex makes metal mesh covers for their drivers, the sort one might see in an automotive use.  I don't know what effect this would have sonically, but I know it would take a pretty crafty three year old--not to mention a Hex wrench--to get at the driver with those in place.

PS:  I've found the best "tweak" to keep kids, animals and even guests away from my audio gear is abject fear.  My sons would sooner sit on a hot oven than touch anything in my listening room.  You know what they say...

"Spare the dowel..." :D

little fred

not for kid
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2003, 12:16 pm »
what i wanted to know was what this mod is supposed to do and if it can be don without putting tape on my cabinet.  i know the rod is not protection that is why i wanted to wedge it into the grill frame and put it (the grill) back on.

Bosh

dowel mod on omegas
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2003, 05:52 am »
Ping Moray, I think it's his tweak.  And it sounds to me like your "wedge inside the grille" would work as well (and be better looking) as any other method.  

Moray James posts on this board.  When you get him, ask about the ping pong ball tweak, too (I'm not kidding).

Good luck.