The first CD I bought is now available on vinyl

Tonto Yoder

« on: 9 Jul 2004, 10:42 pm »
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=14156

Someone bought this CD for me even before I had a player: it was outrageously expensive--maybe $40 for the 2 disc set. It's quite good sounding for a CD, but I look forward to getting the new vinyl.

Now, if I ONLY had a superior Japanese direct-drive table to play it on. :bawl:

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2004, 10:48 pm »
Yeah, get with the program, MAN!

Michael

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: The first CD I bought is now available on vinyl
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2004, 01:24 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
...Now, if I ONLY had a superior Japanese direct-drive table to play it on. :bawl:

:mrgreen:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1094477136

not *my* 1st choice for $1k, but only cuz i'd buy used...  but, if i wanted new, this would be at the top of my list for auditioning...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: well here are some alternatives
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:11 am »
Quote from: hifitommy
...well, i think you get the idea and have some reource now. forget the technics 1200, its a waste of time. the sota tables are VERY good values...

i agree the used sota's are a great deal.  as are a *lot* of used turntables.   which would be *my* 1st choice, as i mentioned.  but, it's clear from your comments that you haven't heard a well set-up technics deck.  which i would take over any of the lower-end rega's.

ymmv,

doug s.

hifitommy

yes, tommy has heard a well set up technocs
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:16 am »
try the SL120 (armless 1200) with a grace 707 mounted.  i advanced to high end tables (not necessarily high priced).

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2004, 06:22 am »

Tonto,
it's been some time since we initially posted this, so you MAY need to refresh our memory---we were being sarcastic, weren't we???   We actually HAVE a TT we're happy with already, don't we??

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:53 pm »

Tonto,
it's been some time since we initially posted this, so you MAY need to refresh our memory---we were being sarcastic, weren't we???   We actually HAVE a TT we're happy with already, don't we??

tonto, i *know* ya were being sarcastic.  but, it's hard to top the kabusa deck for $1k, if ya insist on buying new.  which is why i posted that link & pic!   :)

tommy, i agree that the technics decks can be improved by swapping the arm.  the kabusa arm mod helps, but personally, i'd prefer an origin-live modded rega arm.

doug s.

Eric

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:44 am »
The title of this thread sort of tickled me. I can remember when CD's came out waiting for albums I had on vinyl to come out on CD.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2004, 10:16 am »
Quote from: Eric
The title of this thread sort of tickled me. I can remember when CD's came out waiting for albums I had on vinyl to come out on CD.

Back then, it wasn't unusual for CD's to offer a bonus track or two as further enticement to buy the new format; now some LP's are offering tracks not found on CD (Johnny Cash's "Man Comes Around," "Holly Cole's "Temptation," Lucinda Williams' "World Without Tears").

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2004, 01:30 pm »
The first CD I ever bought was Pearl Jam Ten.  I was 14 and living in Seattle.

Eric

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2004, 10:07 pm »
I can remember getting to the store early on the first day Sgt Pepper was available on CD