Free crossover design services for the rest of the summer.

Bizarroterl

Re: Free crossover design services for the rest of the summer.
« Reply #20 on: 4 Aug 2018, 03:47 pm »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2018, 09:12 pm by Bizarroterl »

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2018, 12:26 am »
Danny, I am considering picking up 9 LGKs from you, building them into a base for my Wedgies and sending the base and Wedgies to you to design the crossover.  Would that qualify here?

Best,
Ed

WC

« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2018, 01:12 am »
So a LGK linesource. Interesting...

Captainhemo

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2018, 01:18 am »
So a LGK linesource. Interesting...

an array , not a  real  line  source. 
Still cool......  I actually  have  drawings for the  10  above and  10 below  a    neo3 in a  waveguide.... just have never gotten around to   cutting them... but  one of these  days

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 17 Aug 2018, 01:18 pm »
Danny, I am considering picking up 9 LGKs from you, building them into a base for my Wedgies and sending the base and Wedgies to you to design the crossover.  Would that qualify here?

Best,
Ed

Yeah, I could do that. I've been thinking about doing that for a while and have been considering designing a new 3" driver to be used more as just a woofer for that application.

A more cost effective alternative that might yield better results would be to use four of the M-165 woofers like the lower section of the X-Otica or NX-Otica. At 8.5" wide it would be wider below, but it matches the wedge shape in all angles and it would get the -3db down into a range where it is easier to blend the subs.

I asked Jay last week if he could create a drawing of it since he has basically already created drawings for the lower NX-Otica and Wedges. I think a blending of the two would work out really well. Hopefully he can get to it soon.

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 17 Aug 2018, 02:29 pm »
yup,  will  be soon.  I b  have a couple things  I have to get done in the shop  today but maybe this  eve or tomorrow morning I'll   get it  done

jay

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:26 pm »
Yeah, I could do that. I've been thinking about doing that for a while and have been considering designing a new 3" driver to be used more as just a woofer for that application.

A more cost effective alternative that might yield better results would be to use four of the M-165 woofers like the lower section of the X-Otica or NX-Otica. At 8.5" wide it would be wider below, but it matches the wedge shape in all angles and it would get the -3db down into a range where it is easier to blend the subs.

I asked Jay last week if he could create a drawing of it since he has basically already created drawings for the lower NX-Otica and Wedges. I think a blending of the two would work out really well. Hopefully he can get to it soon.
Thanks Danny.  I have actually been considering both options, going with the 4 M-165s would allow me to run them with my Wedgies or Oticas although I realize it would likely require a crossover change/adjustment. 

I love the LGKs and that is why I asked about those specifically, however as I think about it I wonder if the frequencies this bass section would handle would really let the LGKs shine as they do in the Wedgie.  If this is something you are working on anyway I may sit back and wait.  Would you come up with the corresponding crossovers to work with the (original) Wedgie or Otica or would you still need someone to build a base unit and send it to you along with the top section?

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:36 pm »
Thanks Danny.  I have actually been considering both options, going with the 4 M-165s would allow me to run them with my Wedgies or Oticas although I realize it would likely require a crossover change/adjustment. 

I love the LGKs and that is why I asked about those specifically, however as I think about it I wonder if the frequencies this bass section would handle would really let the LGKs shine as they do in the Wedgie.  If this is something you are working on anyway I may sit back and wait.  Would you come up with the corresponding crossovers to work with the (original) Wedgie or Otica or would you still need someone to build a base unit and send it to you along with the top section?

If the Wedgies and the lower section were bi-amped then no additional filter would be needed for the Wedgies.

If I design a passive filter between the two of them then I'd need a cabinet here for measuring and testing.

The four M-165's would play down low enough to blend them with any sub. But a group of LGK's in an open baffle isn't going to play down much lower than they already do. With a full wing on each side I might be able to get the -3db to 150Hz or 175Hz.

So the M-165's are a better option.

ebag4

« Reply #28 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:46 pm »
If the Wedgies and the lower section were bi-amped then no additional filter would be needed for the Wedgies.

If I design a passive filter between the two of them then I'd need a cabinet here for measuring and testing.

The four M-165's would play down low enough to blend them with any sub. But a group of LGK's in an open baffle isn't going to play down much lower than they already do. With a full wing on each side I might be able to get the -3db to 150Hz or 175Hz.

So the M-165's are a better option.

If we bi-amp the upper and lower sections, what would keep the lower section from reproducing the upper frequencies or is that not an issue?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 17 Aug 2018, 06:02 pm »
If we bi-amp the upper and lower sections, what would keep the lower section from reproducing the upper frequencies or is that not an issue?

Thanks,
Ed

It would either need a passive filter or possibly a plate amp with an active filter on it.

The Wedgies could be played just as you are currently using them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #30 on: 29 Aug 2018, 06:07 pm »

Was a bit worried about this and it quickly became apparent that  creating a stand alone enclosure to house  4 Ob M165's would be too tall  to  use as  stands for the small  Ob speakers.  by using  3 of the M165 16's, we were able to keep the  height to  26.5" including the  1"  base  and top plate.  Running  3 of the  M165-16's in parallel should  yield  about  91db sensitivity ...
These would be a perfect match for the new Ob  Neo 3 /  Neo 10 using a  simple low pass filter.  Pairing them with the Wedgies would require going active using  a separate  amp with  crossover & gain settings  to power the M165 stands.

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #31 on: 29 Aug 2018, 06:40 pm »
That looks really good Jay, you're getting good with your cad program.

Is there a crossover already designed for the top section you show in your drawing? I know Rich built one of them and I was thinking about doing the same. Then using the bottom end of my Super Vs with it for something to try. Do you guys see any issue with doing that?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #32 on: 29 Aug 2018, 06:47 pm »
Unless there's already a name in the works, maybe we should just start calling it the OB310.   

Captainhemo

« Reply #33 on: 29 Aug 2018, 07:09 pm »
That looks really good Jay, you're getting good with your cad program.

Is there a crossover already designed for the top section you show in your drawing? I know Rich built one of them and I was thinking about doing the same. Then using the bottom end of my Super Vs with it for something to try. Do you guys see any issue with doing that?

Hey Greg
Only issue I see is  with the high c/o point, you'd  want the Neo3/Neo10  basically right on top of the  dual 12's.   Yes, Danny  has a network for the  Neo3/Neo10,  there are  pics of the response in the  New Gr Neo3 thread.
see post #149 : https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.140
No low pass filter  to the  M165 section  yet, none of these have been built.  Trying to decide if it's worth CNC  programming/cutting for these or  just posting a  pdf and letting  guys  cut their own.... as modeled they do use  1", .75"  and .5"  Medex/Mdf with   angled rabbets,  dado's  etc

Also note,  those  tube connector holes in the long wing won't be there on  the GR version of these,  they are  for  Rich's  active version.

Unless there's already a name in the works, maybe we should just start calling it the OB310.

A name is needed,  that one would  work   :)

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 29 Aug 2018, 07:32 pm »
Looking good Jay.

We do need a good name for them. They will be in the Serenity Series of models. Above it is the Super-7 and open baffle line source with 6 Neo 10's and 16 Neo 3's. That line source needs a good name too.

Maybe they can be the Fab-5 or something...

Captainhemo

« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2018, 08:05 pm »
Looking good Jay.

We do need a good name for them. They will be in the Serenity Series of models. Above it is the Super-7 and open baffle line source with 6 Neo 10's and 16 Neo 3's. That line source needs a good name too.

If the above and the  line array are going to stay under  a  Serenity line, maybe continue on with the  Super theme....  eg  Super Mini,, Super 7,  Super LS  etc ?

jay

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #36 on: 29 Aug 2018, 08:07 pm »
Looking good Jay.

Super-2
Super-5
Super-7
Super-22

This will get awkward when better designs come out.  :P

johnnybravo

« Reply #37 on: 5 Sep 2018, 04:51 pm »
Hey Danny.
Keith in Houston here.
I know that summer is over.
Are the design services still going on?
I have a pair of old Northcreek Rythem(?)
Diappolito with Scan 8545K and Revelator tweeters.
One of the internal wires came disconnected from the crossover in a move years back.
So, they've been sitting in my garage for at least 5 years.
Wondered if they are worth reviving. 
I've been through and have got other speakers; would just like to maybe 'repurpose' them.
I'm planning a business trip to the DFW area in a few weeks; I could bring them to Wichita Falls.
I don't mind paying for your services and parts.
Thanks man.
Keith

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 5 Sep 2018, 06:58 pm »
Hey Danny.
Keith in Houston here.
I know that summer is over.
Are the design services still going on?
I have a pair of old Northcreek Rythem(?)
Diappolito with Scan 8545K and Revelator tweeters.
One of the internal wires came disconnected from the crossover in a move years back.
So, they've been sitting in my garage for at least 5 years.
Wondered if they are worth reviving. 
I've been through and have got other speakers; would just like to maybe 'repurpose' them.
I'm planning a business trip to the DFW area in a few weeks; I could bring them to Wichita Falls.
I don't mind paying for your services and parts.
Thanks man.
Keith

Yeah, no problem on any of that. Drop them off. I really enjoy the upgrades.

johnnybravo

« Reply #39 on: 5 Sep 2018, 08:13 pm »
Ok thanks.
I'll give you a call and email when I know for sure when.
Keith