NFL Football '16-17

Johnny2Bad

Re: NFL Football '16-17
« Reply #40 on: 10 Sep 2016, 07:08 am »
Agree with you there, Speedskater. Same can be said with the World Series on baseball

The World Series comes by it legitimately ... the original sponsor was the New York World newspaper, and that's whom it's named after.

I saw two distinct, uncalled "Helmet to Helmet" hits on Newton on Thursday night, and both at critical points in the game. Carolina played well enough to win but Denver had the luck that game, and when it's close, luck wins out every time. I did like how the off-season Coaching strategy puts Cam closer to the line of scrimmage to mitigate outside defenders' pass rush impact (and sacks) although Denver did make adjustments for the 2nd half that partly addressed it. I'm a Raiders fan so no love for the Broncos, but it was an entertaining opening contest.

Emil

« Reply #41 on: 10 Sep 2016, 10:29 am »
[nThe World Series comes by it legitimately ... the original sponsor was the New York World newspaper, and that's whom it's named after.

Well,maybe not :D

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2016, 11:37 pm »
Lots of great football today!

I was especially fond of the Giants beating Dallas...in Dallas!!   :thumb: :thumb:

It was also great to Victor Cruz back on the field and doing his Salsa dance after scoring.

George

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #43 on: 12 Sep 2016, 12:54 am »
That was a good game, it was nice to see the Giants come away with a win. 
Especially in Dallas.

Doublej

« Reply #44 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:27 am »
Once again the Cowboys did a nice job of beating the Cowboys.

rodge827

« Reply #45 on: 12 Sep 2016, 11:54 am »
The Eagles are a big question mark, they should be better than the Chip Kelly disaster, but how much better is unknown with no proven wide receivers, holes at left tackle and right guard, and a suspect secondary.  I'm thinking Steelers 11-5 with a good run in the playoffs.  Eagles I'm predicting 6-10 obviously missing the playoffs.

Like most "rational" Iggle fans (yes there are a few of us :roll:) I'm not expecting to much. 6-10 looks about right for the start of the  Wentz/Pederson era. Wentz and the defense looked good yesterday but it was RGIII and a weak rebuilding Browns team. Next up is Da' Bears at Chicago on Sunday Night.

Chris

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2016, 11:57 am »
Yeah, if they beat the Bears then we may have to revise that 6-10 if Lane Johnson doesn't get suspended.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm »
Once again the Cowboys did a nice job of beating the Cowboys.

Not exactly.

The Giants defense played well and was able to limit their running game.

While the last play was a bonehead move; if he had gone out of bounds that would have been an extremely long field goal attempt.  Certainly not even close to a certain make.

George

bummrush

« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:42 pm »
How bout that Vikes defense.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:48 pm »
The Giants may well win the Super Bowl this year but I imagine the more rational among their supporters are likely in "wait and see" mode after just one game. After all, they barely squeaked by a Cowboys team with a rookie QB playing his first game ever in the NFL. Much better than a loss in the long view but only slightly encouraging when considered as a precursor of how they will do in the next 15 games. Good luck, in any case.

I didn't see any of the Arizona - N.E. game but I'll hold that up as a bigger road victory than anything else this week so far.

Doublej

« Reply #50 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:50 pm »
Not exactly.

The Giants defense played well and was able to limit their running game.

While the last play was a bonehead move; if he had gone out of bounds that would have been an extremely long field goal attempt.  Certainly not even close to a certain make.

George

True but with a guy that can make a 56 yarder the loss would have felt very different instead of feeling like another high school mistake by the Cowboys eliminating their chance for a win.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2016, 01:51 pm »
The Giants may well win the Super Bowl this year but I imagine the more rational among their supporters are likely in "wait and see" mode after just one game. After all, they barely squeaked by a Cowboys team with a rookie QB playing his first game ever in the NFL. Much better than a loss in the long view but only slightly encouraging when considered as a precursor of how they will do in the next 15 games. Good luck, in any case.

I didn't see any of the Arizona - N.E. game but I'll hold that up as a bigger road victory than anything else this week so far.

I have no illusions of who the Giants are and my expectations are well short of a Super Bowl win.

That said, I ALWAYS love beating the Cowboys!!

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 12 Sep 2016, 02:54 pm »
I have no illusions of who the Giants are and my expectations are well short of a Super Bowl win.

That said, I ALWAYS love beating the Cowboys!!

George
Though I do not have strong feelings for or against the Giants, I'm never a Cowboy fan unless they are playing a team whose losing would be good for the Broncos. That's pretty rare and the Cowdudes usually let me down by losing those games.
Maybe the Texans will begin to help the rest of Texas get past the frustration provided annually by Jerry the Genius.

rodge827

« Reply #53 on: 12 Sep 2016, 03:20 pm »
Yeah, if they beat the Bears then we may have to revise that 6-10 if Lane Johnson doesn't get suspended.

Yeah what's with the NFL dragging their feet on LJ? Heck, he is surprised to be on the field!  :o

fredgarvin

« Reply #54 on: 12 Sep 2016, 05:15 pm »
Well it's only preseason, but with the thought that it's better to look good than look bad, both my Eagles and Steelers appeared like the starters had it together in the dress rehearsal game.  The Steelers have a more promising season with DeAngelo Williams replacing Bell for what is it now, 3 games, and the defense looking much improved.  The Eagles are a big question mark, they should be better than the Chip Kelly disaster, but how much better is unknown with no proven wide receivers, holes at left tackle and right guard, and a suspect secondary.  I'm thinking Steelers 11-5 with a good run in the playoffs.  Eagles I'm predicting 6-10 obviously missing the playoffs.

I would be surprised to see the iggles repeat the two 10-6 seasons, and a playoff berth, that Chip Kelly put up in your 'disaster'. Or even counting the 7-9 third one, that's a respectable 27-20. Coach Fisher would kill for that. Somehow, he's still coaching.

Your Steelers were 29-18 in that same stretch. A disaster? :-)

stlrman

« Reply #55 on: 13 Sep 2016, 02:08 am »
Steelers destroy the Skins!!
Big Ben makes history!!
Fist QB to throw to three receivers for 500+ completions !
Our back up running back is sick !!!!!!
Brown is the best wide receiver in the league! And Big Ben is Big Ben!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #56 on: 13 Sep 2016, 09:38 pm »
I would be surprised to see the iggles repeat the two 10-6 seasons, and a playoff berth, that Chip Kelly put up in your 'disaster'. Or even counting the 7-9 third one, that's a respectable 27-20. Coach Fisher would kill for that. Somehow, he's still coaching.

Your Steelers were 29-18 in that same stretch. A disaster? :-)

Actually Chip was 6-9 his final season with the Eagles, he was fired before the final win in week 17.  Just looking at the record for all three years it looks better than it actually was.  He started off strong with a 10-6 season and making the playoffs.  The next year started out okay, then got progressively worse toward the end of the season collapse and missing the playoffs.  The decline continued through the final season with no hope of improvement.  All the while he was getting rid of all the talent Reid had built up, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Macklin, Evan Mathis, dumping Pro Bowlers like he had a college roster of unlimited talent.  He added no one to make up the deficit.  Jeffery and all the Philly fans had enough.  Yes, it was a disaster that goes way deeper than the cumulative record. 

rodge827

« Reply #57 on: 13 Sep 2016, 10:20 pm »
Actually Chip was 6-9 his final season with the Eagles, he was fired before the final win in week 17.  Just looking at the record for all three years it looks better than it actually was.  He started off strong with a 10-6 season and making the playoffs.  The next year started out okay, then got progressively worse toward the end of the season collapse and missing the playoffs.  The decline continued through the final season with no hope of improvement.  All the while he was getting rid of all the talent Reid had built up, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Macklin, Evan Mathis, dumping Pro Bowlers like he had a college roster of unlimited talent.  He added no one to make up the deficit.  Jeffery and all the Philly fans had enough.  Yes, it was a disaster that goes way deeper than the cumulative record.

Yep!  :evil:

randytsuch

« Reply #58 on: 13 Sep 2016, 10:43 pm »
So I waited for 20 years for the Rams to return to LA, and that was what I get?

28-0, destroyed by the niners, and the game was probably not that close  :lol:

At some point, I think rams were 1 out of 9 on 3rd down conversions.
Offense was non existent, defense only a little better.

The niner's with Chip as the coach may be better then expected, but I can't believe they are that good, so looking at a long season.
 :( :( :(

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #59 on: 13 Sep 2016, 11:04 pm »
[nThe World Series comes by it legitimately ... the original sponsor was the New York World newspaper, and that's whom it's named after.

Well,maybe not :D

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

Hmmmm. I stand corrected. However I'm sure I'd read it before 1991 (Snopes' first citation) ... like maybe 1981.

Loved the Raiders-Saints game.

So I waited for 20 years for the Rams to return to LA, and that was what I get?

28-0, destroyed by the niners, and the game was probably not that close  :lol:

At some point, I think rams were 1 out of 9 on 3rd down conversions.
Offense was non existent, defense only a little better.

The niner's with Chip as the coach may be better then expected, but I can't believe they are that good, so looking at a long season.
 :( :( :(

I think you have more grief ahead than maybe you anticipated. Moving the franchise to a new city, the owner can milk that for a few years while starving the roster of talent and pocketing the difference. At least that's how it usually goes.