IRD back from holiday break

Curt

« on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:51 am »
IRD is back from the New Year holiday break.

I hope everyone at AC enjoyed a happy holiday season.

My holidays were spent on my farm with my wife and her family, a pleasant quiet time in beautiful country surroundings, it was a refreshing break.

I am working on the email backlog now, thank you for your patience.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2004, 06:55 am »
You hope you had a good holiday, Curt.  It is nice to get away from it all once and awhile.

Now, get to work on the Sabai! :lol:

Curt

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2004, 07:30 am »
Hi Rob,

Yes, it was nice to breath clean air, get up--go to sleep with the sun, and hear the crickets at night (not cars and motorcycles). I gained three pounds, in five days, eating all the good country foods.

I hear you loud and clear about the new audio products. I plan to squeeze as much time as possible each week from our OEM projects to finish them.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2004, 08:30 am »
I've been yearning for the Sabai, but I gotta tell ya', what I really want is a multichannel preamp...hint hint! :lol:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2004, 05:25 am »
Hey Curt,

Welcome back - missed you around these parts, but certainly glad you had a restful holiday.

I imagine English is scarce outsdie of Bangkok, I know you've been in Thailand for several years now fulltime, do you speak fluent (or passable) Thai?

Me, I speak only Thai-food (love it).  But, I get by with it and a Visa card.

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2004, 08:25 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy

I imagine English is scarce outsdie of Bangkok, I know you've been in Thailand for several years now fulltime, do you speak fluent (or passable) Thai?

Me, I speak only Thai-food (love it).  But, I get by with it and a Visa card.

I speak enough Thai to get by. I have been here for seven years and my wife is Thai. I learned the language mostly by being immersed in Thai society, not from books. People they tell me that I pronounce words well enough to be easily understood and that I speak normal (some slang) not textbook Thai.

The food is great and inexpensive. If you make the right choices it is quite healthy. I love spicy foods and usually eat hotter than the Thais I dine with.

My farm is near Cambodia where the spoken language is “Lao”. Lao is very different from the Thai spoken in Bangkok. Most of the people in the villages around the farm also speak some Thai. I know very little Lao but we all get along with bits of Thai, English, Lao, and some hand waving and pointing. It can be quite a challenge at times without my wife's help.

Jay S

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jan 2004, 10:01 am »
Ah, Thailand. I used to go to Bangkok quite often until about 2000, and have also had a chance to visit Chiang Mai and Phuket.  I love the food (particularly basil duck, red duck curry and mango with sticky rice), and the people are very nice and polite.  I wish more English were spoken but its their country not mine!   :mrgreen:  

Btw, I've gotten pretty good at hand-waving.. gets me by in Tokyo, Taipei and the PRC!

Cheers,

- Jay

Harmon

Thailand
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2004, 07:43 pm »
I have been to Thailand twice visiting Bangkok and Chang-Mai and the food is absolutely delicious.  I heard that the crime rate has gone up a bit, is this true?

Rocket

sabai preamp
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jan 2004, 12:33 am »
Hi Curt,

I'm probably going to visit Thailand in very late may/early june (i've been to indonesia too many times and need a change).  I am wondering do you think you would have the sabai finished by then?

regards

rod

ps is it safer to travel in thailand compared to indonesia?

taketwo

Re: sabai preamp
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2004, 05:32 am »
Quote from: Rocket

I'm not Curt but from personal experience Thailand is much much safer than Indonesia but the usual precautions (as in all countries) applies.

Curt

Re: Thailand
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jan 2004, 07:11 am »
Quote from: Harmon
I have been to Thailand twice visiting Bangkok and Chang-Mai and the food is absolutely delicious.  I heard that the crime rate has gone up a bit, is this true?

I don't see much crime where I live (about 1 hour from downtown BKK) and the newspaper has been showing less crime over the past two years.

The man currently in charge seems to be cracking down on all things that have been causing problems. I believe things are getting better.

Curt

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2004, 07:14 am »
Hi Curt,

I'm probably going to visit Thailand in very late may/early june (i've been to indonesia too many times and need a change).  I am wondering do you think you would have the sabai finished by then?

I was going to bring my n.e.w. preamp along to compare it against your ird sabai.

regards

rod

Yes, Sabai will be shipping before then, we could compare preamps while your in town.

I would much rather travel around Thailand then Indonesia.

Rocket

sabai preamp
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2004, 01:48 am »
Hi Curt,

I'll let you know when it is a little closer and i've finalised my holidays.

I was planning on backpacking around for a week or so and then staying in bangkok.

Regards

Rocket

Curt

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2004, 09:25 am »
Hi Curt,

I'll let you know when it is a little closer and i've finalised my holidays.

I was planning on backpacking around for a week or so and then staying in bangkok.

Regards

Rocket

Great, I look forward to hearing from you.