NAS recommendation for BDP-1

swsmith7648

NAS recommendation for BDP-1
« on: 25 May 2018, 12:31 pm »
Looking for a NAS, about 4 TB and wondering which ones work well with a BDP-1.  My system is Windows environment.   All suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

ttsto

Re: NAS recommendation for BDP-1
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2018, 03:03 pm »
I have QNAP HS251 with WD RED 2x3TB drives and it is flawless.

swsmith7648

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2018, 01:11 am »
Thanks.  I will check that one out.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2018, 07:59 am »
The main difference is the controller. I have owned a Qnap and several Synologies, I very much preferred the Synology controller.
As for disks, wd red is the best for home use.

swsmith7648

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2018, 02:42 am »
Is noise a factor if you have one of these in your listening room, typically?

Anonamemouse

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2018, 07:27 am »
I can hear the disks from mine. Because of that I placed it outside the room, it really doen't matter where the NAS actually is.

ttsto

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2018, 08:03 pm »

I have the HS251 NAS in the room where I listen to music.
As it does not have a fan the only noise is disk spinning and WD RED are very quiet drives. I can hear them only late night when it is very quiet around. In no circumstances the drives spinning are heard while listening to music.

I also have a QNAP TS-451A for other purposes in another room. It has 12" fan that normally spins at 450 rpm - again very quiet.
NAS with smaller fans that spin faster are noisy and would not recommend to keep them in listening room

swsmith7648

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2018, 02:21 am »
Is it possible to manage the music (FLAC) files on the NAS from a Windows 10 PC that is on the network, and stream the files to the Bryston?  I have to assume yes, but I want to make sure before I purchase.  It is so easy to screw this up.

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2018, 04:49 am »
Depending on the speed of your network, you might find it sluggish to edit tags or rip CDs directly to the NAS, but it won't be a problem with the BDP to play back music for most networks.    You will have to manually tell the BDP to update the "mpd" database whenever you add music to the NAS.  There are clever ways to script up the sync and have it update the database.     

Personally I would get just a 4TB bus powered USB HDD to plug into the back of the BDP-1 assuming there is one that doesn't exceed the current limit of the rear USB ports. You can then just use the BDP-1 like a NAS and copy the files over as needed, you can find an application to just sync, clone or you can manually copy.   BDP won't be gigabit or USB3, so it's something i would only copy to.

I typically rip a cd twice, once to a mac to sync to all the iOS devices and then to al linux machine that copies the files to a USB drive on the BDP and also to a NAS that raspberry PIs will use.   Now that phones have unlimited data, I will probably just only rip music to the linux machine and also use Tidal or like service for mobile devices and even with the BDP.   

Jim
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 02:05 am by skunark »

ttsto

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2018, 06:46 pm »
I also use a PC to rip, download and tag music.
Then I copy music on NAS, very fast, gigabit network.
Then I give command to BDP-1 to update database, first update is very slow (hours for 4TB of files), after that is faster

By default BDP is the server for MPD and gives commands to stream and play music files. For this I use either an app from my phone to select the music I want to play or, if you want to control it from laptop/PC I would recommend Cantata MPD. I believe this is the best way to use BDP

BDP provides also other ways to stream music, using DLNA or Squeezebox type of server that can be installed on your PC or on your NAS, not very experienced with this though...

P.S. There is a thread in the sticky topics on BDP Recommended interfaces

swsmith7648

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2018, 04:00 am »
Thanks to everyone for the info.  I have ordered a Synology with two WD Red 3 TB drives. 

swsmith7648

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2018, 02:42 pm »
Received and installed the Synology, it is very quiet and my (2) BDP-1's both connected to it with no problems.   I have simplified my management of music files and everything works great.  Thanks to everyone who posted on this.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2018, 03:24 pm »
You're most welcome! Enjoy rediscovering your music collection!

zoom25

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2018, 04:03 pm »
Which Synology model did you order? Speaking about its quietness, do you keep the Synology in your listening room?