The Bad Plus

jimdgoulding

Re: The Bad Plus
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2008, 10:11 pm »
Here's a recommendation for you (all) that might be very satisfying having read the above:  Thomas Marriott-  Both Sides Of The Fence (Origin).  This young greyboy negotiates the trumpet and fluegelhorn very nicely.  Piano, vibes, acoustic bass and drums make for nice backup.

chadh

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2008, 10:26 pm »
Here's a recommendation for you (all) that might be very satisfying having read the above:  Thomas Marriott-  Both Sides Of The Fence (Origin).  This young greyboy negotiates the trumpet and fluegelhorn very nicely.  Piano, vibes, acoustic bass and drums make for nice backup.

What does "greyboy" mean?

Chad

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jan 2008, 01:02 am »
Big chadh-  Greyboy is an expression from the day meaning a young white male with some soul.  Hence . . Greyboy.  There is an album getting mentioned with some frequency in the What Are You Listening To Now forum with this title.  It's damn good, too!  You don't think anyone might be offended, do you?   

chadh

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jan 2008, 02:03 am »
Big chadh-  Greyboy is an expression from the day meaning a young white male with some soul.  Hence . . Greyboy.  There is an album getting mentioned with some frequency in the What Are You Listening To Now forum with this title.  It's damn good, too!  You don't think anyone might be offended, do you?   

Thanks for the info.

Offended?  I hope not.  And in case you were worried, it wasn't my intention to suggest that the term was in any way inappropriate.  I really just wanted to know what it meant.  I'm white.  And if anyone wanted to "accuse" me of having some soul, I'm sure I wouldn't be offended.  On the other hand, "Big"...hmmm...I'm not sure if I approve of that description...

Chad

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jan 2008, 03:25 am »
OK Slim, thanks for the relief.  Go forth, hipper than you were.

chadh

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jan 2008, 04:22 am »
OK Slim, thanks for the relief.  Go forth, hipper than you were.

Lord knows, I need to get hipper.  In the words of Zaphod Beeblebrox, I'm "so unhip, it's a wonder [my] bum doesn't fall off."

Chad

ooheadsoo

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jan 2008, 04:50 am »
Never seen these guys live?

Youtube is your friend.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jan 2008, 05:42 am »
I happen to like the piano trio, the guitar trio, even the organ trio and anything around all of those. Ill keep searching as I know I  have lots to find still and hopefully you all do too. :D
Try these....play the samples...

Organ....
Organ....
Guitar....
Guitar....
Piano....(not a trio)
Piano....
Piano....

jimdgoulding

Heads! Leroy! That's you new name.
« Reply #28 on: 31 Jan 2008, 05:44 am »
I have NOW!  Cool beats and that raw tenor and liquid flute.  I'm gettin Land of the Lost having listened to samples at their site.  Deep groove funk!  If you can't win a chick over playing this you better put her out at the next light.  Thanks, mate.  This is a treat for your man jimmy G! 

Hey Rab-  Didn't mean to get so much off track.  That stuff just makes me think I'm twenty.  That recommendation I gave you is solid.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 06:32 am by jimdgoulding »

lonewolfny42

Re: Heads! Leroy! That's you new name.
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jan 2008, 05:56 am »
I have NOW!  Cool beats and that raw tenor and liquid flute.  I'm gettin Land of the Lost having listened to samples at their site.  Deep groove funk!  If you can't win a chick over playing this you better put her out at the next light.  Thanks, mate.  This is a treat for your man jimmy G! 

Hey Rab-  Didn't mean to get so much off track.  That stuff just makes me think I'm twenty.  That recommendation I gave you is solid.

Samples....... :thumb:

groovybassist

« Reply #30 on: 31 Jan 2008, 06:21 am »
I'd opt for McCoy Tyner - "New York Reunion" or "Quartet."

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 31 Jan 2008, 06:28 am »
I'd opt for McCoy Tyner - "New York Reunion" or "Quartet."
Can't go wrong there either.... 8) :dance:

jackthecat

« Reply #32 on: 31 Jan 2008, 09:47 am »
SO many samples and not enough time of an evening to explore them all ! Some of those are right up my alley thanks very much everyone !!  Its such a buzz finding an album you like that has been around for ever but you never knew  :thumb:  I now have heaps to purchase over the coming months ! Cheers  :thumb:  Now did I mention I also like a bit of Ron Carter goodness?  :wink: