Introducing KWH 225i - Coming Soon!

modwright

Introducing KWH 225i - Coming Soon!
« on: 19 Jul 2019, 11:31 pm »
Near full production, here are some photos. I have a few picky things to work out on the tube guard and with the chassis and cover fit and finish.

Circuit-wise, it incorporates a 225W version of our KWA 150SE amp, controls and functionality of our KWI 200 SS integrated and of course adds a 6922 based tube preamp.

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2019, 02:36 am by modwright »

The Rang

Re: Introducing KWH 225i - Coming Soon!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2019, 02:13 am »
If it sounds half as good as it looks then it’s a home run.

Time to think about upgrading from KWI 200?

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2019, 03:47 pm »
Looking good, but I have a question : Why did you opt for the abbreviated MWI on the faceplate versus Modwright Instruments? The MWI is already represented by the logomark itself. Unless you plan to change the company name to MWI, it's best to keep your products consistent and connected to your company name, as all great, lasting, brands do. :D

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2019, 05:35 pm »
The MWI on the front is a wise choice imho. Production models should have a different moniker from your mods. I've often wondered why Dan hasn't done this before.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2019, 02:36 am »
The MWI vs. ModWright Instruments is a re-branding of sorts, or at least a differentiation from our Modification business. By now, everyone knows that the logo and MWI means ModWrigh Instruments I would say....BMW doesn't say Bavarian Motor Works on it ;). Not that I am comparing ModWright to BMW, but the logo is known I believe.

Thanks,

Dan

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:58 am »
The MWI vs. ModWright Instruments is a re-branding of sorts, or at least a differentiation from our Modification business. By now, everyone knows that the logo and MWI means ModWrigh Instruments I would say....BMW doesn't say Bavarian Motor Works on it ;). Not that I am comparing ModWright to BMW, but the logo is known I believe.

Thanks,

Dan

Branding is a tricky thing. I can see why you're moving away from the full Modwright Instruments name on the face of your gear. Long-lasting companies and brands (and their products) evolve. Your BMW example is actually perfect. Note that the "BMW" letters on any BMW vehicle are never boldly displayed anywhere other than within the circle propeller logomark itself. Since you're moving away from the Modwright Instruments text, it makes sense to just use your circle MWI logomark. It is versatile (like BMW's logo) in that it serves as both your company symbol AND has the abbreviated company name in one. Great! That's all you need my friend. Job's done. Let your logo do the job it was designed to do. No need for further branding embellishments that don't serve a purpose except to add machining time. I hope you don't take my critiqueing the wrong way. Just offering friendly professional insight. :D

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2019, 02:49 pm »
Thanks for that, it is greatly appreciated!

Our new LS 300 omits the MWI altogether with the same thought in mind, as does our phono stage. I will do the same on the KWH 225i going forward.

Thank you for your support and feedback!

Dan

Scottdazzle

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2019, 04:44 pm »
The MWI vs. ModWright Instruments is a re-branding of sorts, or at least a differentiation from our Modification business. By now, everyone knows that the logo and MWI means ModWrigh Instruments I would say....BMW doesn't say Bavarian Motor Works on it ;) . Not that I am comparing ModWright to BMW, but the logo is known I believe.

Thanks,

Dan

Good decision, Dan. Kudos and best of luck!

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2019, 05:14 pm »
Thanks Scott.

Dan

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2019, 03:16 am »
Dan

What did you end up with final case dimensions?

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2019, 02:12 pm »
Thanks for that, it is greatly appreciated!

Our new LS 300 omits the MWI altogether with the same thought in mind, as does our phono stage. I will do the same on the KWH 225i going forward.

Thank you for your support and feedback!

Dan

You bet! I wish you continued success. When you display a full rack of gear with the consistent face / logo treatment at shows, it'll look fantastic...and make people want the same in their home. :D

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2019, 05:02 pm »
Final dimensions are 17"W x 17"D x 6"H.

Just about ready to ship, but it has to be 100% right! This is a GREAT product and one that I am very proud to put the MWI name on!

Thanks,

Dan

KLH007

« Reply #12 on: 10 Aug 2019, 04:13 pm »
Will we see and hear it at RMAF?

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 10 Aug 2019, 05:11 pm »
I regret that I decided not to attend RMAF this year. Numerous reasons that are hard to explain here. I had planned on debuting the KWH 225i at RMAF, but I am not sure if it will be 100% ready for production by then. I will for sure have it at CAF in NOV, along with our new 300B (325Ai Integrated).

This is a special design that I have spent a lot of time on. I won't release it until I am 100% happy with it!

Thank you for your patience,

Dan

cheech

« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2019, 07:40 pm »
Dan,

Since you mentioned your new 300B integrated is there any information about it available at this time?

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2019, 08:53 pm »
I have a working prototype that is nearly 100% and a second build under way.  Here is what I have on the unit:

The image is of our first scratch built prototype. The final chassis will be a bit different, but this gives you the design intent. End bells are painted Illusion Malbec deep wine color.

25W/CH - Push-Pull into 6 ohms.
Four inputs, preamp - out and two main outs. All RCA.
Tube complement: (2)6BM8, (2)5687, (4)300B, (2)6DE4 - [Final design may see a change to driver tubes; image shows first design with (4)5687 drivers, now (2)6BM8 and (2)5687]
Output transformers are all hand-wound from electraprint.
Interstage transformers are Lundahl.

Price is still TBD, but in the $10K range.

Final design will likely have R/C volume.

The design goal has been to provide enough tube power to drive most reasonable speakers, i.e. not requiring horns. I have driven 87dB two-way monitors with the amp easily! I love the sound of 300B, but wanted power AND beauty. I found that with P-P design, I could achieve this, but it took some doing! Great care has been taken to provide the best bass and impact possible from the 300B tube!

More to come....

Thanks,

Dan

KLH007

« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2019, 10:40 pm »
Looks like the Capital Audiofest will be full of great sounding MW kit!

cheech

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2019, 12:21 am »
Dan, thanks for providing some insight on your 300B integrated,  prototype looks great and 25wpc is attractive. Look forward to the final product

GregC

« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2019, 12:46 am »
Hi Dan,

Will the KWH 225i have preouts for powered subs?  That would be a nice feature, especially if the subs are able to be used in HT bypass mode.

Also, what about fixed tape output?

Thanks,
Greg

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2019, 01:13 am »
Yes, variable pre-outs. Not sure about Tape Outs.

Dan