New to the group - looking for good treble

Bru-Fi

New to the group - looking for good treble
« on: 13 Aug 2020, 01:32 pm »
All.
HiFi guy in Brooklyn, NY. I am looking to replace my 37 year old Mission 770s. I am looking for a speaker with a little more sparkle in the treble, this is cymbals. I am not sure if the tweeters,caps, etc are fading or my ears are losing the high end. Probably a combination of both. Not sure how well the single driver Omega's are in this regard. I am not looking for super bright, just silky and smooth but pronounced.
Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
Be well and stay safe all.
Cheers

doggie

Re: New to the group - looking for good treble
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2020, 11:40 am »
Boy. So many variables involved with determining that.

I have the Super Alnico High Output XRS. These are very revealing and will relay any upstream changes with ease. This is to say that in my system so many things can contribute to what I actually hear, especially upstream electronics and cable choices. It is more like cooking that science.

I would go to local audio shops, if you can find any still in business, and listen to different speakers to get a feeling for "sound signatures". Also you might want to call Louis and explain what you are looking for. He is great to work with. I am sure that he can find a good match for you. Omega has a liberal return/trial policy.

What kind of front end and electronics are you using?

Bru-Fi

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2020, 12:57 pm »
Thank you for the reply and I like your advice about Art vs. Science. Front end is Rogue Sphinx, Hana ML cart through Avid Pulsus and speaker cables are Kimber 4TCs. I have an audtion for a few brands of speakers next week and I will also reach out to Louis, he sounds like a great guy.
Thanks again and be well.

jMelvin

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2020, 01:22 pm »
Well, IMO the Super 3i's are nicely balanced from top to bottom within their range, if not a touch mid-range focused. As @doggie mentioned, a chat with Louis would be very beneficial.

If not Omega you might want to look at speakers with AMT tweeters. My only experience is with Mark & Daniel's Ruby (version 1). Superb treble extension and clarity without harshness and plenty of sparkle. Best of luck.