Adding Dual Subs to Maggie 3.6

ajzepp

Adding Dual Subs to Maggie 3.6
« on: 30 Jan 2016, 03:48 am »
Hey all...

I've been running my 3.6s full range the majority of the time, but for the time being I'm planning to move a pair of PSA s1500 subs into the living room to pair with the Maggies. I'm driving them from my Peachtree Nova 125 integrated, which also has a set of full-range variable pre-outs on it. So in essence I'm going to attempt to blend in the s1500s using their onboard crossovers, while still running the 3.6s full range, as well (since I have no bass management options).

Was just curious if you guys had any suggestions on crossover settings for the subs, and also whether you had any calibration advice. My plan is to use an SPL meter and a youtube video that has test tones and sweeps to find a proper blend (through trial and error), but figured I'd see what feedback you guys might have, as well.

Thanks!

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Adding Dual Subs to Maggie 3.6
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2016, 01:13 pm »
I run my sub with my maggies set at the lower limit of the frequency range to 5-10hz higher.  My sub disappears and integrates seamlessly.  Another key is to keep the subs turned down low.

I have a friend here that has 3.7's with dual passive subs running off an old adcom amp and his system sounds great.  Maybe he will chime in.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2016, 01:47 pm »
I run a single older Yamaha sub with my 1.6's.  I run the Maggie's full range.  I run the sub at the lowest Xover (40Hz). 

I started with the sub boomy (too loud), and played a track on repeat.  Once I could just hear the sub on that track, I ran a playlist of mixed tunes to fine tune the level. 

For jazz I am not always sure it is on until I turn it off.  Then the body of stand up bass is lost, and the ambience of the room too.

For rock or electronic music I can immediately feel the drive of the music and the drive of it.  That is reduced with the sub off.

I have always tuned my subs this way, I have never tried Xover on the mains or the use of an spl meter.

I know lots of folks who have, but I don't know how to do that.  I will watch with interest.

Basically I run my sub so that it feels like it is not there, but when you turn it off you do notice that. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2016, 03:37 pm »
Here is what I sent to ajzepp in a pm:

Hi!

Regarding sub integration: My advice is to do it right!

Read parts 1,2, and 3. Then you'll be ready  :thumb:

http://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/bass-integration-guide-part-1/
http://www.hifizine.com/2011/09/bass-integration-guide-part-2/
http://www.hifizine.com/2012/06/bass-integration-guide-part-3/

Best,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2016, 04:06 am »
Thanks so much guys...i spent a couple hours last night playing with 10-100hz sweeps on youtube and my spl meter...i am going to add the second s1500 this weekend, but i was able to get the first one blended prrtty well with the crossover set around 45. I started a bit higher, but kept seeing quite a jump in spl when the 50 and 60hz tones hit. I sometimes forget how beautiful and potent the low end is on the 3.6s, so i really wasnt sure at first theyd be adding that much in this 50-60 range...the double bass was pretty potent though so i dropped the crossover to 45 and the spl smoothed a bit.

Hopefully once i get #2 calibrated things will smooth out even more. Im pretty excited to have stereo bass as opposed to dual mono. I know the difference will likely be subtle if its even noticable, but i just love the concept of it. These psa sealed subs are so damn clean, it really fills out that last octave in a way that complements the maggie magic.

Thanks for all the feedback...ill report back on my progress after sub #2 is dialed in, in case anyone is interested,  and throw a few pics up for good measure.

UPDATE: its about 830am and ive been up all night getting these things dialed in...its worked out even better than I expected. Augmenting the 3.6s with dual subs is really a beautiful thing...I cant believe how massive the soundstage is. Im sure eventually Ill add one of PSA's monster subs to my HT rig once I get back into a house, but dual sealed subs with the Maggies are here to stay. Just lovely.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2016, 01:39 pm by ajzepp »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2016, 09:44 pm »
Where's these pictures you keep threatening us with?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2016, 02:23 am »
Couple of years ago I added a pair of passive Dahlquist subs to my bi-amped 20.1 Maggies.  Used a second Dahlquist LP-1 crossover to blend the subs and couldn't be happier!  Standing next to the subs you can't even hear them, but Man, do they make a difference!  Installed in opposing corners and no standing wave at all!

DustyC

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2016, 02:38 am »
Added a pair of 12" self powered subs about a year ago to my 3.6's. Sheesh, I didn't realize how much I was missing.
Amp has a built in crossover so I run the subs below 40 Hz. If your subs have a phase and level controls be sure to review your settings on them also. Getting the frequency right is important but that is only 1/3 of the puzzle.
Enjoy :D

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:19 am »
Where's these pictures you keep threatening us with?

UPS decided to completely mangle and destroy my a/v stand that was being delivered this week...that was partly why I was going to take the pics...now my heart just isn't in it. *sigh*

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:21 am »
Couple of years ago I added a pair of passive Dahlquist subs to my bi-amped 20.1 Maggies.  Used a second Dahlquist LP-1 crossover to blend the subs and couldn't be happier!  Standing next to the subs you can't even hear them, but Man, do they make a difference!  Installed in opposing corners and no standing wave at all!

Read "20.1 Maggies"...started to drool...couldn't concentrate on the rest of whatever you said...

:drool:

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 4 Feb 2016, 04:25 am »
Added a pair of 12" self powered subs about a year ago to my 3.6's. Sheesh, I didn't realize how much I was missing.
Amp has a built in crossover so I run the subs below 40 Hz. If your subs have a phase and level controls be sure to review your settings on them also. Getting the frequency right is important but that is only 1/3 of the puzzle.
Enjoy :D

I agree, I'm pretty astonished at the difference...and Im not new to quality subwoofers. The low end is just absolutely massive. Even on youtube videos, if someone has a fancy intro or whatever with some low energy, the room just energizes.

I forgot to ask Tom V at PSA about phase controls, but someone else had mentioned that since it's a DSP amp, or whatever the heck that means, it doesn't have those. It has a setting for room size, and it apparently makes adustments that way. I don't really know much about it, but the results sure are good.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2016, 02:31 pm »
   Huge difference for the good. Using OB GR  servo Dipoles subs which are fast, accurate and bombastic are a match  made in heaven for Maggies.
   We used them at CAF with BG Radia to great affect.  DIY besides.

charles

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #12 on: 4 Feb 2016, 06:16 pm »
I found some useful info. in the PS Audio forum, (Paul McGowan) concerning sub integration... http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/subs/

I use two, passive ACI subs with a Dayton sub amp. My Magnepans sound better running full range and cutting the subs off around 50Hz. The amp has volume adjustment as well, this is very helpful.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:29 pm »
   Huge difference for the good. Using OB GR  servo Dipoles subs which are fast, accurate and bombastic are a match  made in heaven for Maggies.
   We used them at CAF with BG Radia to great affect.  DIY besides.

charles

I'm envious of you DIY fellas...I made a mean chisel in 7th grade shop class, but unfortunately my skills never developed much beyond that. 

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm »
I found some useful info. in the PS Audio forum, (Paul McGowan) concerning sub integration... http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/subs/

I use two, passive ACI subs with a Dayton sub amp. My Magnepans sound better running full range and cutting the subs off around 50Hz. The amp has volume adjustment as well, this is very helpful.

Which Maggies are you rockin' there, Dieter?  And is this the time on Sprockets when we dance? (That's an old saturday night live reference that most people probably won't get)

mcgsxr

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:26 pm »
Rock that black turtleneck ajzepp!

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #16 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:26 pm »
Which Maggies are you rockin' there, Dieter?  And is this the time on Sprockets when we dance? (That's an old saturday night live reference that most people probably won't get)

2.7's. They do bass very well. TruRTA measurements are in the high 20's, just needs a little boost down there.

Had to Utube that Dieter reference. Man, I just got here, don't stick that on me already.  :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:58 pm »
Rock that black turtleneck ajzepp!

LOL you know it  :lol:

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm »
2.7's. They do bass very well. TruRTA measurements are in the high 20's, just needs a little boost down there.

Had to Utube that Dieter reference. Man, I just got here, don't stick that on me already.  :lol:

LOL!!! Sorry bro

That's a great rig you have man!

Dieterle Tool

« Reply #19 on: 5 Feb 2016, 10:36 pm »
Thanks.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Those Butlers gotta be a good match with the three-sixes.