"Gunned" measurements?

Rclark

Re: "Gunned" measurements?
« Reply #40 on: 26 Dec 2012, 01:08 am »
I've seen it done on Youtube. Hung by "string". Not seen yours though.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #41 on: 26 Dec 2012, 01:10 am »
It looks like yours are still on the floor but just held upright by cables? 

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #42 on: 26 Dec 2012, 02:08 am »
I remember Dave's hanging his MMGs, but I don't remember whether the ones I saw several years ago were his. I just remember being very intrigued by the idea. My wife, on the other hand, was less than enthusiastic about my doing it. It would have required adding an exposed beam to the living room ceiling from which to suspend the MMGs. I planned to hang each one over a sub, but it was a non-starter for me. It's probably best that it never happened - there's no system in the living room any more.

Steve, necessity is the mother of invention. Of course, I invented nothing. I had fond memories of a pair of Acoustat hybrids in my head (as well as Martin Logan and Sanders...plenty of precedents) when I hatched that plot. The MagnePlaner badges weren't applied by design. I managed to drill all the way through the face of one of the boards when I was prepping for the threaded inserts – the bloody stop worked its way loose (amateur carelessness). Oh well, the badge hides the hole quite nicely. Stuffing a sub under each MMG is great for those of us who have ours in floorspace challenged settings. Otherwise, I'd rather have the freedom of separation. Regardless, to me, the subs seem an imperative for MMGs. I will say that planting a sub beneath each MMG does work very well, indeed.

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 26 Dec 2012, 02:18 am »
I like your configuration Kevin, the dual MMG per side, with Rel beneath. That must be pretty great  :thumb:

Plus, bedroom, nearfield, we are pretty similar there too. Mine are at each bed corner and it's pretty damned awesome to fall asleep to. Beats a monitor on a stand any day.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #44 on: 26 Dec 2012, 02:45 am »
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only nutter 'round here that goes to sleep with music. For me, though, it's just a little pair of JBL Pro IIIs – one on each side of the head of the bed (monitors on stands aren't that bad :lol:). The Maggies are 90 degrees in the wrong direction for me. Still, it's a ritual – listening to some soothing music as I ease out of consciousness.

The big system is awesome, but I really love the intimate, little system in the bedroom. There are lots of ways to enjoy the MMGs – incredible speakers for the money.

MGbert

« Reply #45 on: 26 Dec 2012, 03:12 am »
There are lots of ways to enjoy the MMGs – incredible speakers for the money.

Kevin:

Let's just leave it as "There are lots of ways to enjoy the MMGs – incredible speakers."  That way no one gets hurt.   :D

Seriously - my Gunned MMGs do drums so realistically at times it's spooky.  Just heard Stravinsky's Rite of Spring - the Dudamel reading - and the tymps are here.

MGbert

medium jim

« Reply #46 on: 26 Dec 2012, 03:30 am »
I think Steve Ford said it best in the 20.7 thread that as you step up the Magnepan food chain that you get more of everything.  No matter how you listen to your Maggie's or whatever you do to or don't do to them, you are a winner.

Jim

Davey

« Reply #47 on: 26 Dec 2012, 08:46 pm »
It looks like yours are still on the floor but just held upright by cables?

No, they completely hang by the lines.  The MMG's do not touch the floor at all.  They're perfectly plumb and exhibit no movement at all during playing.....unless there's an earthquake or somebody bumps into them.  :)

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #48 on: 26 Dec 2012, 11:02 pm »
Davey,
Did you get that idea from the U-Vola speaker manufacturer?
That's where I first read about the idea:
http://u-volaworld.com/

What made you decide to try it that way and what did you notice?

Davey

« Reply #49 on: 27 Dec 2012, 02:47 am »
No, actually, I first saw an open-baffle speaker hung from the ceiling in 1971.  My electronics instructor in high-school had a pair of Tannoy drivers mounted on flat-baffles with separate Wharfedale woofer drivers that sat next to them on the floor.
I didn't appreciate the configuration at the time and thought it just a novelty.  It just goes to show how little progress has really been made in speaker design through the years.  :)

Suspending Maggies allows to easily adjust the height, and eliminate floor vibrations from making their way to the speaker, and conversely prevents speaker vibrations making their way to the floor.  It's a superior configuration, but probably not practical for Maggie's larger than MMG's.

Cheers,

Dave.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #50 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:32 am »
MGbert - I'm all for that attitude. I've seen lots of things done with MMGs that I thought were interesting. When I saw them, I had no doubt the owners were enjoying their speakers. I say,  :thumb:

That goes for those of you with Gunned MMGs - my opinion has never been otherwise.

---

Dave, how long have you had them hung like that? It could well have been yours that I saw, but it was nearly a decade ago that I stumbled across them - a couple of photos and a bit of a description. My immediate response was, "Hmm, that's not crazy at all." I discussed it with my wife and she asked how I'd accomplish it and I could see it in her eyes - better not go there. :lol:

So, I went a different route. It would be cool to have chosen dipole subs too. I just had an issue with space. I didn't mind living with that problem because there was always a plan for a dedicated room eventually. Even that forced compromises on me. I wish we built a larger structure, but...

---

We all face our particular challenges. What's fun to see how we each address ours. There are lots of ways to enjoy the MMGs - awesome speakers for the money!

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:46 am »
... And put a really high power, top tier audiophile amp on them and enter the pearly gates...

Rclark

« Reply #52 on: 27 Dec 2012, 04:53 am »
Kevin:

Let's just leave it as "There are lots of ways to enjoy the MMGs – incredible speakers."  That way no one gets hurt.   :D

Seriously - my Gunned MMGs do drums so realistically at times it's spooky.  Just heard Stravinsky's Rite of Spring - the Dudamel reading - and the tymps are here.

MGbert

I'm with you 100%. They are just jaw dropping speakers. They are just so high resolution and excell at so much. No mdf. Hardwood. Like a real instrument. And they look like a million bucks.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #53 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:07 am »
... And put a really high power, top tier audiophile amp on them and enter the pearly gates...

They really loved this amp, but talk about overkill! :D

Rclark

« Reply #54 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:17 am »
 :lol:

I no longer believe in overkill when it comes to Maggie's. We've been told this whole time they love power. I have almost 500 watts per side on MMG's and they almost kind of yawn and shrug.

if you heard Maggie's on an inappropriate amp, you really never heard them.

medium jim

« Reply #55 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:28 am »
:lol:

I no longer believe in overkill when it comes to Maggie's. We've been told this whole time they love power. I have almost 500 watts per side on MMG's and they almost kind of yawn and shrug.

if you heard Maggie's on an inappropriate amp, you really never heard them.

Maggie's love lots of power, not necessarily watts. Your premise that they need a 500 watt amp is not the case, they need lots of voltage to excite them. 

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #56 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:36 am »
RClark:

So what exactly is an inappropriate amp for them? Please be specific so we can all understand.

Jim

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #57 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:37 am »
Maggie's love lots of power, not necessarily watts. Your premise that they need a 500 watt amp is not the case, they need lots of voltage to excite them. 

Jim
Not in my humble experience!
It has been my experience that what certain speakers crave were amps not volts! It is the current that does the work regardless of the voltage. Current makes them work harder!

Rclark

« Reply #58 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:37 am »
Well however you look at it, you need massive headroom. Little amps will make music, yes, and they are Maggie's, it will be great, but to get the most out of them requires an amp with finesse and large cojones. Even Tonepub says MMG's become "scary good" if you put power on them that far exceeds their purchase price.

Mod them and you're even further.

Rclark

« Reply #59 on: 27 Dec 2012, 05:40 am »
Inappropriate: in this case low power.