>500 Used tube pre to match

NJBOB

« on: 25 Apr 2006, 01:55 am »
I'm looking for sugestions for tube preamp under $500 for my monos and MGIIIa's

I am stongly looking at a foreplay III ($369 kit), but wanted to see if anyone has some other sudgestions for some used preamps in that range

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2006, 03:26 am »
Go for the forplay unless you want to try passive.  IMO, tubes would be more fun.  The kit is very fun to build.

What monos do you have?

fredgarvin

Pre
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2006, 04:09 am »
There are some posts in the Norh circle concerning the ACA 2b tube pre , and that at $400 is well thought of by owners. I believe it has 3 inputs and two outputs. I am thinking of trying one myself. It has the same impedance as the Candela and should match well with Odyssey gear.

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2006, 04:18 am »
Take a look at the MapleTree audio Ultra 2 SE or the Dodd audio basic.

Either one should hit your price range - just a matter of how many inputs/outputs you want.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2006, 08:36 am »
What about the ultra 4aSE from Mapletree as well?  Anyone have some opinions on this beauty?

NJBOB

Khartago specials
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2006, 10:49 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Go for the forplay unless you want to try passive.  IMO, tubes would be more fun.  The kit is very fun to build.

What monos do you have?

nickspicks

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2006, 11:26 am »
audio experience Symphonies !!!!!
and get some GE JAN 5751 tubes and you'll be stylin'

Brad

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2006, 02:15 pm »
He didn't mention needing a phono stage - that's why I suggested the Ultra 2 from Mapletree.

I like the look of exposed tubes, but nickspicks is right - the Audio Experience  is another good choice in this price range.

buckeyefanandy

Where do you look for some of these pres.
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2006, 05:24 pm »
I too am looking to add tubes to my monos and apogee combo.  I have looked at the audio mirror Pre at $700 out of reach.  The Norh is another that looked promising, any other ideas or thoughts of price and were to locate these items for sale.

Thanks in advance.

andy

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2006, 12:00 am »
Quote from: tigzstudio
What about the ultra 4aSE from Mapletree as well?  Anyone have some opinions on this beauty?

Nice avatar  :D

guest1632

Re: Where do you look for some of these pres.
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2006, 01:34 pm »
Quote from: buckeyefanandy
I too am looking to add tubes to my monos and apogee combo.  I have looked at the audio mirror Pre at $700 out of reach.  The Norh is another that looked promising, any other ideas or thoughts of price and were to locate these items for sale.

Hi, Why don't you go over to the for sell, and buy the IRD Purist for $425. Yeah, I know it is not tubes.

RYThanks in advance.

andy

Soundbitten

byteme

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2006, 06:01 pm »
Try and find a PHilly audio blues 7b or other 7 series.  I had one with my Stratos extreme and Lorelie's before I got the deHavilland ultraverve.  The blues was a great little preamp - after I retubed it, it was amazing given the cost of it.  Trouble is I'm pretty sure they are gone now and the only ones out there will be used.

rosconey

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2006, 06:07 pm »
save for a candela-why spend money and go half assed-save for a full ass :lol:

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2006, 08:01 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Try and find a PHilly audio blues 7b or other 7 series.  I had one with my Stratos extreme and Lorelie's before I got the deHavilland ultraverve.  The blues was a great little preamp - after I retubed it, it was amazing given the cost of it.  Trouble is I'm pretty sure they are gone now and the only ones out there will be used.

I have to agree. I loved my Philly 7a tubed preamp. I got sick of not having a remote control and having to set a specific volume for home theater bypass but the sound was really nice. I could listen to music through my Philly 7a all day. I think I sold mine for $500. It was well worth it.

philltubes

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2006, 09:01 pm »
In this price range you need to consider a used Eastern Electric Mini-Max preamp.  It is a line stage only but you're not going to get a very good phono stage in a preamp at this price anyway unless you can find an AR Sp-6 at a great deal, then you have to deal with an older piece that will need some work if it is still original.

Phill

philltubes

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2006, 09:08 pm »
Sorry, you don't need a phono stage, still consider the EE Mini-Max, they can be had used for around $500.00.  The sound can be tailored with tube rolling.

Phill

NJBOB

Picked up a Clean Dyna PAS 3 ($108)
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2006, 06:18 pm »
Well I'm going to try a Dyna PAS 3 with my Mono's and My MG IIIa's.

I'm ordering some new 12ax7's and the 12x4. Along with a new Volume pot. I will be bypassing the tone, and loudness controls. I wil also add a EIC conector and get rid of the extra Ac outlets then add new input and output conectors to start. I probably will go for one of those mod boards by Joe Curio

Can anyone tell me the Input impeadance for the Monos also the voltage

This will relpace my BK Pro10 sonata