Just picked up some new toys....

JoshK

« on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:36 pm »
well I said I wouldn't go back to MC ht in my apartment, but maybe I will, who knows.  I just picked up a Rotel 985thx amp (5x100) for $400 and then decided to pick up Klipsch's DD decoder w/ volume for $169.  It isn't state of the art, but my only source is DVD anyway so it'll suffice.  I have the Rava sub which is as loud and as deep as I can get away with in my apt but I am contemplating what to do for speakers.  I really don't want to run speaker wires through the apt to the rears so I might just go w/ LR & C + sub for now.  

Any ideas on what LR&C speakers I should check out.  Needs to be slim for decor reasons.  Doesn't need to be musical as I have a seperate music rig but should do well for movies.  I currently have Maggie MGMC1's for L&R, so I could try to match something up with them, maybe the VMPS LRC would mate well since the maggies are ribbon speakers too.   decisions decisions...

KKM

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:53 pm »
You should check out the new Maggie center, CC3, it now goes down to 80 hz. BTW, the MGC1 is not a true ribbon so its not going to match as well with the VMPS as the CC3(available around march).

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2003, 04:03 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, yeah I thought of sticking with the Maggie center but I didn't like the older one's high xo point.  The new one will do!

Brandon B

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2003, 08:59 pm »
What do you think of the MGMC1's ?  My dad is looknig to do a 7.1 system with these, and I haven't ever heard them

BB

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2003, 09:17 pm »
I really really like them. Super super clear voices....however the big drawback is that they only go down to 120hz.  Makes the sub xo a little on the high side.  This may or may not matter to you.

Brandon B

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2003, 07:04 am »
My dad's doing a remodel and I've talked him into an infinite baffle sub too.  It will be a little sourcy crossing high enough to blend with that, but at least it will be super clean to match the maggies.

BB