Ah Tjoeb

newschool

Ah Tjoeb
« on: 15 Oct 2006, 10:50 pm »
Anyone using the Ah Tjoeb 2000 cd player with Odyssey amp/pre-amps?  Should the tubes in the CD player match the tubes in the Candela?  I am just trying to find GREAT synergy between the Mono Extremes / Candela and cd player.  Thanks.

ger546

• Industry Participant
Re: Ah Tjoeb
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2006, 05:08 pm »
Newschool,

Perhaps I can indirectly help with your question....

I'm using a modded Jolida JD100A CD into a TAD-150 Sig tube stage pre into a re-capped Stratos.  The Jolida has been re-tubed to Madza chrome plates, the Tad
remains with their cyroed tubes.  The Madza's cleaned up the sound dramatically,
speed, detail, with a vast soundstage produced by a very synergistic system.                      I will not "match" the CD/PRE tubes as each has their individual character and what may work in one component might be unhappy in the other.  I have further found that IC's, we use all silver with silver Eichmann's, also have a great impact.  Tube rolling will be expensive cause you should rely on knowledgeable high end tube dealers as they will guide you and stand behind their products....a much greater chance of success. 
Hope this gave you a bit of insight, good luck.

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2006, 09:48 pm »
Newschool,

Perhaps I can indirectly help with your question....

I'm using a modded Jolida JD100A CD into a TAD-150 Sig tube stage pre into a re-capped Stratos.  The Jolida has been re-tubed to Madza chrome plates, the Tad
remains with their cyroed tubes.  The Madza's cleaned up the sound dramatically,
speed, detail, with a vast soundstage produced by a very synergistic system.                      I will not "match" the CD/PRE tubes as each has their individual character and what may work in one component might be unhappy in the other.  I have further found that IC's, we use all silver with silver Eichmann's, also have a great impact.  Tube rolling will be expensive cause you should rely on knowledgeable high end tube dealers as they will guide you and stand behind their products....a much greater chance of success. 
Hope this gave you a bit of insight, good luck.

Kevin Deale @ Upscale Audio who is a tube Guru and also the U.S. importer of the Ah! 2000 recomends the Seimens 7308's in this CD player. Alex G who designed the Odyssey Candela says the cryroed Ei elite 12AU7's sound great in the Candela and he told me that the Mullard CV4003 12AU7's sound exquisite :drool: in the Candela. my CV 4003 Mullards should arrive here this thursday.thanks....WCW III

elcaptain88

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2006, 10:37 pm »
I lived with the njoe tjoeb for about two years - its an ok cd player. Contrary to what you may read, I preferred the current production JJ tubes to everything else in the tjoeb - and I tried many tubes. The NOS tubes (Siemens, Amperex, etc.) that seemed to be recommended by everyone weren't bad - but the cheap JJ's sounded the most even to me. Also keep in mind that the tubes are only in the buffer and aren't going to radically transform the player.