Amplifier problem?

ProfPaul

Amplifier problem?
« on: 26 Jan 2012, 11:36 pm »
I've been noticing gradually deteriorating performance on my sound system, and am trying to isolate a cause.  The most obvious problem is the volume output seems to be going down.  I'm finding myself turning the volume up higher, and the sound quality seems a bit "off," but not in an easy way to put my finger on.  There weren't any abrupt changes I could hear (and no new hardware).  It feels like it's the base (above subwoofer range) that's suffering most, but I'm not certain there.  Qualitatively, I'm turning the volume up 5-6 dB higher than before to reach similar listening levels.  So, I'm trying to find possible causes for this.

The speakers (Magnepan 3.7s) are relatively new.  Since the problem affects both equally, it is unlikely there.  Similarly, audio seems equally affected from both a bluray player and a CD player, so the problem must be after that.  Besides, both provide digital output and it's impossible for a problem with digital signal to produce this effect.  This leaves my pre-amp and amp.  The pre-amp is an Onkyo TX-SR806, and the amplifier is a Odyssey Stratos.

My question for this forum is whether anyone is familiar with potential technical problems that can cause the symptoms I'm seeing.  I can't picture a way to trace this further without swapping out components, and I don't have simple access to "loaner" preamps or amps (my nearest high-end audio dealer is 6 hr. away). 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Paul

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Amplifier problem?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:00 am »
Have you had an ear exam lately?
Are you sure it's not just different level on your cds? I notice the volume setting can change quite a bit from cd to cd. I especially notice different levels when my mac mini is on shuffle.
Just a couple of ideas.

ProfPaul

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2012, 05:03 pm »
Both of those are things I've thought about.  Regarding the ear exam, my wife is noticing the same things, I'm hearing normally in other contexts.  We're turning movies up by comparable amounts (5-6 dB) to get a comfortable listening level. 

I agree that CDs vary a LOT in terms of recorded volume - I'm going back to recordings I've listened to before, and noticing I consistently have to turn the volume up appreciably higher than I'm accustomed to doing.

I'm not 100% certain anything is wrong, but my ear is telling me that something is off and getting gradually worse.  I was hoping someone might have run into similar problems before.

Thanks!

Paul

lazydays

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2012, 09:40 pm »
are you turning your amps off when not in use? This is what they wilol sound like if you do this
gary

ProfPaul

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:34 pm »
The Odyssey amp remains on 24/7.  I do turn the preamp off.

-Paul