Popping sounds

charmerci

Popping sounds
« on: 7 Sep 2022, 06:37 pm »
Pioneer DVD/CD player>Modi3>Sony AVR - speakers.

When turning it on after a minute or two, an electrical popping noise sometimes comes out of the two speakers. However, when I put a small plastic object on the top of the AVR, it makes that popping noise. If I put it down harder, the popping noise is that much louder. (Plastic front plate, metal cover.) No wires are crossed and the connections are firmly connected.  :scratch:

WGH

Re: Popping sounds
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:26 am »
I would guess a cold solder joint that opens when the AVR heats up and is now sensitive to vibrations. With any luck it will soon fail which makes it easy to track down.

Like my auto mechanic told me about an intermittent problem: "Just drive it until it drops". Luckily the AVR doesn't need to be towed like my old Jeep.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2022, 12:59 am »
Here's a simple solutions. Turn the receiver upside down and put a cinder block on the top, which is the bottom of the receiver  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2022, 02:39 am »
I would guess a cold solder joint that opens when the AVR heats up and is now sensitive to vibrations. With any luck it will soon fail which makes it easy to track down.

Like my auto mechanic told me about an intermittent problem: "Just drive it until it drops". Luckily the AVR doesn't need to be towed like my old Jeep.

Hmmm. Okay. I just hope it doesn't blow tweeters before then.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2022, 06:18 am »

Hmmm. Okay. I just hope it doesn't blow tweeters before then.

If the pop is that loud then time to take it to a repair shop. Thinking if it's in both channels then could be located in the power supply section somewhere. Would a bad cap cause popping? I don't know. Until you get it checked out everyone's reply's will be guesses.

How old is the Sony? When my Outlaw 975 processor wouldn't turn on I had the choice of repair or replace. Technology moved on during the 7 years I owned it so repairing meant I would spend money on an outdated surround processor. New units sound much better. I'm glad I didn't get it fixed and ultimately just tossed it in the dumpster.

Try different interconnects first, they can look good on the outside but the tiny wires inside break easily. Maybe you have wire rats like we do, they love RV wiring.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2022, 03:07 pm »
Wayne,

It's a cheapo, older, thrift store bought Sony. Not worth spending any money on. I guess switching ICs is the only possible fix on it. Though I do have Morrow MA-1 and the short Straightwire Psyt ICs hooked up.
Thanks.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2022, 05:28 pm »
Wayne,

It's a cheapo, older, thrift store bought Sony. Not worth spending any money on.

Time to give it flying lessons