Signature 70 and tubed preamp... pure magic!!!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Signature 70 and tubed preamp... pure magic!!!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2007, 01:50 am »
This thread has convinced me I want to try a tubed pre with my Sig 30.  I think I'm going to go with the Apollo from Promitheus (the Isabella is over my price range right now and I already have a dac I like).    The Apollo can be wired for either 6 or 12 db of gain, and I'm trying to decide which to go with.

I have 88 db Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers (4-8 ohms).  Given the 30 watts of the Sig 30, by my calculations they can product about 96 db at my listening position (10 ft from the speakers).  Since I would like to be able to get unrestrcted peaks or 105 db, I'm thinking I should go with the 12 db of gain. I don't know if there is a downside with having this much gain in the pre.

Can anyone weigh in (Vinnie???) with what the prefered gain would be be to make this pre mate well with the Sig 30 and Gallos?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Hi Rich,

With your source directly connected to your Signature 30 (using the Sig 30's volume control), do you ever find that you don't have enough volume?  In other words, do you ever find yourself at max volume and the sound is not loud enough and the amp is not clipping (meaning it can go louder, but there is not enough input signal)?

If the anwer to the question above is NO, then I think 6dB will be fine.  You can always go with the 12dB version and just cut back a few steps from the Sig 30's volume control.  You don't have to set the volume control of the Sig 30 to MAX when you use an active preamp.  Set it to a location that will allow you the most useabel range out of your tube preamps volume control.  If it gets too loud too quickly on the dial, reduce the volume on the Sig 30... this will give you a lower noise floor and allow you to use more of your preamps volume control.

Also, I have found that with some tube preamps, they have a different sound when running a lower volume settings than higher volume settings.  If you want to run at higher settings on the tubed preamp without it getting too loud, just adjust the volume control of the Sig 30 accordingly.  The same is true if you want to run in the lower settings of the preamp. 

I would follow Richard's advice to experiment... See what works best with your system and your tastes.

Best regards,

Vinnie

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2007, 03:48 am »
 :D quick question with three volumes in the system?? The cdp [opus21] has a vc,the preamp has a vc and the mod 70.2 amps also have vc.I am not sure but i think the cdp vc is digital and i think thats a bad thing, right??.Should i set the players vc to max as this will be where less distortion lives???? The pre is what i use to adjust while playing and the Sigs i just leave at the 12 noon postion.Is this sound correct?? thks :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2007, 11:58 am »
:D quick question with three volumes in the system?? The cdp [opus21] has a vc,the preamp has a vc and the mod 70.2 amps also have vc.I am not sure but i think the cdp vc is digital and i think thats a bad thing, right??.Should i set the players vc to max as this will be where less distortion lives???? The pre is what i use to adjust while playing and the Sigs i just leave at the 12 noon postion.Is this sound correct?? thks :D

Hi 2bigears,

Yes, set the volume control of your opus 21 to max.

With regards to the volume control on the Sig 70.2, try it at 12 o'clock.  If you need more gain, turn them up a little more (or down a little more if you need less gain).

Best regards,

Vinnie

richs

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2007, 05:50 pm »
Thanks Richard and Vinnie for you thoughtful replies.  I will go with the 12 db of gain on the Apollo.  Also, given that the volume control on the Apollo is a TVC, it supposedly sounds better at lower volumes (since the impedance is lowered.)  This is another reason to go with the greater gain.

Thanks again,

Rich

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:55 pm »
Thanks Richard and Vinnie for you thoughtful replies.  I will go with the 12 db of gain on the Apollo.  Also, given that the volume control on the Apollo is a TVC, it supposedly sounds better at lower volumes (since the impedance is lowered.)  This is another reason to go with the greater gain.

Thanks again,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Great.. please keep us posted!

Thanks,

Vinnie

arthurs

« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:57 pm »

Just for the record, the Opus is analog volume control and doesn't really change sonically for the better or worse regardless of setting, at least that's what both RA and Steve at GNSC told me....

2bigears

« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2007, 04:10 pm »
 :D hi Art,good eye and catch on that.Just on the last few hours of 70.2 break-in and the RWA is sounding great.These tiny little amps got some magic in'm fo-sure!!!!  aa

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:06 pm »
:D hi Art,good eye and catch on that.Just on the last few hours of 70.2 break-in and the RWA is sounding great.These tiny little amps got some magic in'm fo-sure!!!!  aa
Nice Pat.... 8)
What speakers are you using with them ? Thanks..... :wink:

Chris