OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

Captainhemo

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs
« Reply #600 on: 14 Oct 2020, 05:15 pm »
What size clamps? How many?  And what brand of glue?

Ok,  for a minimum glue up  4 18" clamps for duals and   6 if   they are  the triples  but remember,  that is bare minimum...     more is always nice as you can add them to  other  places.....    The dowels in the base  / top / side panels take  care of the   alignment,  so  really, you  only  NEED to clamp across the braces to  squeeze the  cabinet together and  from front  brace to rear brace to  keep them   up against the baffle.   

In Peter's video, you'll see I recommended   assembling them  upside down and not to glued the top on  during the first step, it is actually  done last....   instead,  you  want to glue the  baffle, side panels, and braces  using the top as a  jig. Then   the base  to the   exposed   end facing up using the  4 dowels  for alignment.  The base has  4  counter sunk  screws so no  clamps required here.

Once the glue sets  up, unclamp and flip the cabinet over (right side up).  Now  knock the unglued top off   and  glue it  down  using the   4 clamps  (they'll clamp  from the top to the  braces) ...  I'd use a  small piece ctive piece of scrap between the clamps  and face of  cabinet top.

Titebond glue will be fine,  or,    get the Titebond Extends  if you  want a bit of extra  open (work) time

jay

DA

Does anyone know of someone near Eastern Iowa area that runs a pair of the GR open baffle subwoofers?
Thanks

Don

tom739

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to say thanks to Jay for my new sub cabinets. I ordered a pair of dual 12 open baffle subs. Very high quality work, and excellent shipping and packaging. No damage.

Tom

Captainhemo

Thanks Tom, appreciate the feedback.

We send out Tom's pair all glued up with preinstalled magnets in the cabs and grill frames.   Fairly well prepped so  only  minor  work required  before   finishing at  your  end. Boxes end up being  larger so  there is an higher shipping cost involved but,  it is an additional service  we can provide.

jay
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2020, 09:29 pm by Captainhemo »

cfdrake

« Reply #604 on: 21 Nov 2020, 06:52 pm »
Hi - just checking in to see what shipping / lead time is currently looking like?  Am planning on a pair of doubles to go with my Magnepan 3.7i. 

Thank you!

CD

Captainhemo

« Reply #605 on: 22 Nov 2020, 10:01 pm »
We currently  have  quite a list of folks waiting on a variety of cabinets.  We are  trying to get  through them  as  fast  as we can ....
Best   thing to do is get  your  name  in  our  "queue" by  emailing me at captainhemo at  shaw.ca.....  we're  trying to  fill  orders  in  the  order that  they were  received

jay
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 06:47 pm by Captainhemo »

tripwr1964

do we get on the list and purchase these via email?

can we get holes sized for alpha 15a's?

anyone have any luck running those woofers in the dual h-frame? (trying to keep cost down...)

thks tim

Captainhemo

do we get on the list and purchase these via email?

can we get holes sized for alpha 15a's?

anyone have any luck running those woofers in the dual h-frame? (trying to keep cost down...)

thks tim

My email address is in the post  directly above yours.
What is the  outer  diameter of those woofers... I doubt they'd  even fit inthe cabinets.....

jay

Squeaks

I sent you an email about purchasing a set of duals.

Captainhemo

Sorry,   wasn't notified of this post....  did  we   get  you  sorted  out  ?   Not sure   from  your  user name....

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Hi - just checking in to see what shipping / lead time is currently looking like?  Am planning on a pair of doubles to go with my Magnepan 3.7i. 

Thank you!

CD

I strongly recommend triples. You'd be surprised how much difference the added driver makes and it doesn't take up anymore floor space than the doubles. The triples would also balance out visually with the Maggies better. Here's a pic of triples with a pair of Martin Logan Summit Xs

These have A370-XLR3 amps built into the bottom of the the towers. If you keep the amps separate the towers would be shorter accordingly.

Squeaks

Sorry,   wasn't notified of this post....  did  we   get  you  sorted  out  ?   Not sure   from  your  user name....

jay

Haven’t heard anything jay, Still want some though. Not sure if you want to private message or email me. Your choice. My email is not the same as my username.

Squeak (justin)

SoCalWJS

I sent you an email about purchasing a set of duals.

jay
So does this mean there is a Dual OB Sub Flatpack available? I did not see it listed on the website.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
So does this mean there is a Dual OB Sub Flatpack available? I did not see it listed on the website.

You'll need to message Captainhemo directly to purchase since he's the on that offers then.

Captainhemo

Yes,  we've have been  shipping duasls, triples, and quads  to customer for over  5 years...    they used to be on the GR site,  not sure why they are not any longer....
The quality  kits,  service and  support our customers  have become  used to   are still available here !

All the information  about these is on page 1, first post... I try to keep that up to date.
In a nutshell,  we use  ultra refined, solid 1.5  Plum Creek MDF for the side panels, top and bottom plates so there  no seams to  telegraph through  paint down the road.  Baffles and bracing are made from  1"  Medex.   All wiring pass through and   pilot holes for  drivers are pre-drilled,  large roundover are added to rear of  baffles.  More options are available after discussing

Kits are very easy to assemble,  everything is  either  dado'd or  doweled.
As posted earlier in  this thread,  Peter did an assembly video  of one of our cabinets for us, it can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBmmJzS_iU

All the different  wiring drawings and write  ups I did for the different  cabinets  are here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149708.msg1600884#msg1600884n

Email  me at   captainhemo@shaw.ca

jay
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021, 12:41 am by Captainhemo »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #615 on: 30 Mar 2021, 08:54 pm »
Time to kick start this thread again with some modular sub building.

Just received from Jay the new pair of H-Frame OB servo sub flat packs to change my 2x12 servo subs to 3x12's.   Will be doing a glue-up over the next week, then taking them to my local finishing group for the gloss Hot Rod Black finish. 

First step, the box arrived in fine condition.  It is SOLID! :)  Will be unboxing and taking pictures as I go. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #616 on: 30 Mar 2021, 11:26 pm »
Great to see they have arrived  !!

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #617 on: 30 Apr 2021, 04:19 pm »
Finally time to build the pair of open baffle H-Frame sub modules. 

Jay sent the kit with the dowels and bolts to go from a 2x12 to a 3x12 for the new speaker design.

Here is one module laid out with what I use to glue-up and clamp them.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #618 on: 30 Apr 2021, 04:22 pm »
The bottom is glued to the baffle and the glue on the top side ready for the piece with dowels:

Second side glued and now clamped:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #619 on: 30 Apr 2021, 04:24 pm »
After 30 minutes glued the left and right sides and clamped them to let the glue dry:

Let it dry for 2 hours and remove the clamps and set aside to build module #2.