Suggestions for power conditioning

Glen

Suggestions for power conditioning
« on: 4 Feb 2008, 07:12 pm »
I'm looking for suggestions on what power conditioners you would suggest.

I'm using 2 Richard Gray Pro400's right now, but would like to add something to the mix.

I've read up on the units from Exact Power and Equi Tech, but would like your feedback on what you've tried.

What's good, what's not, what to watch out for..................

Thanks...........

TheChairGuy

Re: Suggestions for power conditioning
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2008, 07:42 pm »
6 years, I'm still looking, too  :(

The only ones I've found that didn't muck up everything are the Enacom AC plug-in filters and the PS Audio Noise Harvesters.  Otherwise, the benefits of power conditioning (cleaner, clearer - many do work on these levels) are overcome by adding an etched stridency and unnaturalness to the music. 

Ridding myself of all power conditioning, except for the aforementioned Harvester and Enacom AC filter, has been most beneficial.  In addition, a hospital grade power outlet for your wall (the $9 Lowe's unit doesn't sound demonstrably different than the $36 Power Port I eventually bought and have now).

Where you live and the quality of your electric in your specific home has a lot to do with the variability of folks' response to various power conditioners, no doubt  :roll:

Regards, John

Kim S.

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:24 pm »
I've just hooked up an APC S15.  This power conditioner was postively reviewed in Bound for Sound.  I have never gone wrong by Marty's recommendations.  I've only listened to one CD so far but I am impressed.  Quieter background and more detail.  I listened to The Stranglers greatest hits.  On several of the songs I noticed some minor instrumental layers I have not heard before.  Unfortunately my transport just broke and I am using a cheap Pioneer DVD player as a transport.  I does not sound bad, but is a little bright and digital sounding and the APC does not change that.  I'm going to wait till a get a better transport before I do any serious evaluation.  So far things sound promising! 

chosenhandle

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2008, 07:20 pm »
I have a couple of Running Springs Audio conditioners and am happy with the results. I totally agree that the key issue is the quality of the power coming into your home.

zmanbands

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2008, 05:38 am »
The use of Alan Maher's PE I and PE IV coupled with Hammond Choke 193M's and 193L's are monster improvements to my power conditioner and other circuits in the house. Not too great a cost for what they do. See Industry Talk ---Alan Maher etc---.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2008, 12:03 pm »
Makes me laugh everytime I hear someone say I don't need power conditioning, my components clean themselves. Fact is your components are crapping on your power like every other electrical component in your home. Multiply that by every other home on your line and it's kinda hard to believe there is such a thing as clean AC power. I also feel the vast majority of folks will benefit from power conditioning,,,,, but there will alway be exceptions of course.  :D  Balanced power conditioning is my holy grail,,, BPT to be exact. I also like Bybee's, Z-Sleeves, Quantum conditioning, cryoing components, and lately, Alan Maher's PE series with Hammond chokes. When is enough power conditioning enough? I'll let you know when I know. Short answer would be when my sound stage stops expanding,,, ain't happened yet. But when my dynamic sound stage starts sounding constricted, then I'll know I've gone too far.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Les Lammers

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2008, 12:22 pm »
For source components, I like the PS Audio Power Plant. I have been using a P300 for years.

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2008, 01:02 pm »
The diversity of answers you get when you ask a question like this makes me wonder,  is there any use asking the question in the first place! We do anyway, hoping for a guiding light through the dark wilderness of audio. Between Robin and John's answers lies your answer. Unfortunately, I suppose one just has to try various products to see what floats yer boat. I fall firmly on the side on Robin, in that I find power conditioning and better power cords indispensable. I've yet to figure out anything to help make these decisions other than reading reviewers accounts of how conditioners affected their sound and try to apply their observations to my desired changes (and then keep my fingers crossed.) In the end, it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot, because there's always someone disagreeing with someone elses preference/observation. Like Les, I've really enjoyed my Bybee modded PS Audio P300 on my front end components for years. I plan to add their new Power Plant Premier to my system in the future. If you have no interest in regenerating your ac, BPT and Equitech are products I'd look closely at.

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2008, 01:44 pm »
I agree for the most part that you won't know if power conditioning will benefit you until you try it out in your own system. I also agree that there are different kinds of power conditioning and each works differently on different components, so you have to try out a few.

To that end I strongly suggest a DIY approach, rather than spending lots of money on a trial and error campaign at retail prices. There are several designs available and they do not cost much, from the Felicia, to the Felix, to Jon Risch's designs at Audio Asylum. A little soldering, some component placement, a fuse, and you've learned something you didn't know before.

As for power cords, I am in the process of demo'ing a few (thanks to Lonewolf) and hope to write up a comparison shortly. But in short, I find that the differences each present is subtle if used after a power conditioner, but more audible if used directly into the wall. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising.

Enjoy,
Bob

Les Lammers

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2008, 02:56 pm »
I agree for the most part that you won't know if power conditioning will benefit you until you try it out in your own system. I also agree that there are different kinds of power conditioning and each works differently on different components, so you have to try out a few.

To that end I strongly suggest a DIY approach, rather than spending lots of money on a trial and error campaign at retail prices. There are several designs available and they do not cost much, from the Felicia, to the Felix, to Jon Risch's designs at Audio Asylum. A little soldering, some component placement, a fuse, and you've learned something you didn't know before.

As for power cords, I am in the process of demo'ing a few (thanks to Lonewolf) and hope to write up a comparison shortly. But in short, I find that the differences each present is subtle if used after a power conditioner, but more audible if used directly into the wall. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising.

Enjoy,
Bob

I do notice a not so subtle difference with power cords on digital even with the P300. However, *I* am not a believer in really expensive cords. I have not looked at the new and improved PS Audio gear. I have tube amps and they do not like the P300. I use a PS Audio Ultimate outlet with them. I still think a used P300 is worthwhile and a good value.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2008, 04:14 pm »
If you like PSA P300, you'll love the Power Plant Premiere.  I used to have two P300's, then sold them to have a Shunyata Hydra.  Since then I was skeptical of PS Audio products.  Very recently I got curious, decided to try the PPP and hooked.

Using quality AC outlets and fuses also helps sonically and visually.

BrianM

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2008, 04:34 pm »
Fact is your components are crapping on your power like every other electrical component in your home.

If that's true, then it seems to me a power conditioner would be pointless, because your components are "downstream" from your conditioner.  Unless you had some other, more elaborate solution in mind.  Or unless I'm missing something.

Maybe they should just find a way for a power conditioner to play music, so that neither the AC line nor the components can screw things up.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2008, 07:52 pm »
Fact is your components are crapping on your power like every other electrical component in your home.

If that's true, then it seems to me a power conditioner would be pointless, because your components are "downstream" from your conditioner.  Unless you had some other, more elaborate solution in mind.  Or unless I'm missing something.

Maybe they should just find a way for a power conditioner to play music, so that neither the AC line nor the components can screw things up.

Just maybe that's why isolating the dupexes from each other on a conditioner is suppose to be important? Maybe that's the reason why keeping the digital components separate from the analog components on each dupex is also important? Yeh your right, you're definitely missing something Brian.

Cheers,
Robin

BrianM

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2008, 08:56 pm »
Robin, why don't you just get off the grid altogether?  It might alleviate some of your isolation mania.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:34 pm »
Robin, why don't you just get off the grid altogether?  It might alleviate some of your isolation mania.

I'd be much better off isolating myself from your posts.  :lol:

BrianM

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2008, 10:04 pm »

I dunno, it seemed like a decent enough suggestion for a guy with your priorities.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2008, 10:45 pm »

I dunno, it seemed like a decent enough suggestion for a guy with your priorities.

Why are you even posting here if you don't believe in conditioning the power.  Just go listen to your crappy sound.

BrianM

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2008, 01:10 am »
Why are you even posting here if you don't believe in conditioning the power.  Just go listen to your crappy sound.

Wait, let me guess, you think that kind of comment must reflect poorly on me, and not you.

If you're confused why I posted here, start by learning to read, then read my first post.

Also, it's not a matter of "belief," is it.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2008, 01:20 am »

Wait, let me guess, you think that kind of comment must reflect poorly on me, and not you.

If you're confused why I posted here, start by learning to read, then read my first post.

Also, it's not a matter of "belief," is it.

I think all anyone has to do is go thru your posts to see how confronational you are Brian, hense my dislike for even having to deal with you. In fact this will be the last time I'll do so. So post all you like against what I have to say or believe, I for one will isolate myself and will not respond to your presense. I simply do not need the headaches.  :roll:

BrianM

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2008, 01:47 am »
It's a forum, satfrat, for learning and questioning.  It's not a me-too society.